login

Author Topic: Completely Random Thoughts  (Read 1785695 times)

Offline MSTJedi

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 604
  • In a not too distant future far, far away. . . .
    • Facebook
Re: Completely Random Thoughts
« Reply #8610 on: September 22, 2013, 12:54:48 PM »
深夜の多国籍軍もるたいきませんかーーーーーーー 特にナイトさん、そうそこのあなた!ほかにもぼしゅうしてるよ!

So that's a line from the shout channel on Final Fantasy 11.  I just installed the Asian fonts on my computer so I can read those off the web site that collects those.  I thought Google Translate would help me understand what the Japanese players were saying once I could copy and paste.  It turns out that doesn't help.  Google translate says that the above is:

Knight's especially ーーーーーーー Do not go, you there so multinational force of late night that was! I'm also looking for the other!

Talk about lost in translation . . .

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2383
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #8611 on: September 22, 2013, 01:42:32 PM »

So that's a line from the shout channel on Final Fantasy 11.  I just installed the Asian fonts on my computer so I can read those off the web site that collects those.  I thought Google Translate would help me understand what the Japanese players were saying once I could copy and paste.  It turns out that doesn't help.  Google translate says that the above is:

Knight's especially ーーーーーーー Do not go, you there so multinational force of late night that was! I'm also looking for the other!

Car full of midgets!
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline Thrifty Version II

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 556
  • Now with 30% Less Fat!
« Reply #8612 on: September 22, 2013, 02:00:33 PM »

Talk about lost in translation . . .
You might think that if you knew the game, and knew what these yells were usually about (because they're probably about the same things the English yells are about), that you could suss out the meaning somehow, from context.  But nope.  Not a single word of that makes sense.

Offline Lembach

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 8272
  • Hormel Batch Master
« Reply #8613 on: September 22, 2013, 02:13:46 PM »
I had a vivid dream that I time-traveled back to the mid-40s, fell in love with a girl, and had to keep my origin a secret while I built a super-weapon out of contemporary technology to help the Allies win the war faster.

Yeah I dreamt a cliche plot. So sue me.

• Big Montana
  • Now with 30% Less Fat!
« Reply #8614 on: September 22, 2013, 02:16:57 PM »
I had a vivid dream that I time-traveled back to the mid-40s, fell in love with a girl, and had to keep my origin a secret while I built a super-weapon out of contemporary technology to help the Allies win the war faster.

Yeah I dreamt a cliche plot. So sue me.
I won't sue you, but I'm sure Disney will.

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6861
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #8615 on: September 22, 2013, 02:26:32 PM »
I had a vivid dream that I time-traveled back to the mid-40s, fell in love with a girl...

was it almost completely? was she in love with the world? were the feelings so misleading? did you kiss her by the riverside?
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline Lembach

• Ephialtes
  • Hormel Batch Master
« Reply #8616 on: September 22, 2013, 02:35:40 PM »
I had a vivid dream that I time-traveled back to the mid-40s, fell in love with a girl...

was it almost completely? was she in love with the world? were the feelings so misleading? did you kiss her by the riverside?

Yes, yes (I think it was a young Penelope Ann Miller), and no, it was in a hardware store where I was getting parts.

Offline Lembach

• Ephialtes
  • Hormel Batch Master
« Reply #8617 on: September 23, 2013, 02:58:19 AM »
I'm hope I'm not stepping on any toes by putting this here. However, a few of you had expressed interest in working from home. Recently, they authorized me to put this out:

"Think shopping from home on Amazon is fun?  Try working from home as a seasonal Customer Service Associate.  Amazon is hiring people who live in AZ, OR, and WA now. 

Apply today at www.amazon.com/csajobs

Just putting that out there.

Offline MSTJedi

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 604
  • In a not too distant future far, far away. . . .
    • Facebook
« Reply #8618 on: September 23, 2013, 07:24:05 AM »
I'm hope I'm not stepping on any toes by putting this here. However, a few of you had expressed interest in working from home. Recently, they authorized me to put this out:

"Think shopping from home on Amazon is fun?  Try working from home as a seasonal Customer Service Associate.  Amazon is hiring people who live in AZ, OR, and WA now. 

Apply today at www.amazon.com/csajobs

Just putting that out there.

No Texas? Bastards.

• Big Montana
  • Now with 30% Less Fat!
« Reply #8619 on: September 23, 2013, 11:10:01 AM »
Wawa is running a special on their Sizzli brand breakfast sandwiches, 2 for $3.  I think they're usually like $2.30 each.  Been eating a lot of those lately.  Good stuff.  It follows a formula that produces a fair number of combinations:

1) Select a "bread" component--bagel, English muffin, pancake, biscuit, or croissant.
2) Add egg and cheese.
3) Add one of the following: bacon, ham, sausage, or turkey sausage.

Very easy and delicious.  The croissants are my favorite.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3176
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #8620 on: September 23, 2013, 02:18:57 PM »
I don't want to break the night-before-christmas-anticipation flow of the official Breaking Bad thread, and my question isn't really about the show, so I'll post this here:

I've never seen Breaking Bad, and probably never will. (Just not my cup of tea.) What does the title mean? To quote Lisa Simpson, I know those words, but that sentence makes no sense to me. The concept of breaking an adjective has been bugging me for 5 years, now, and I need to resolve this little tic in my head whenever I see the title. Is it just to satisfy the periodic table thing in the show's logo? Is it some sort of slang phrase I've never heard of? Some meaningful combination of words that make more sense as the show progresses?

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #8621 on: September 23, 2013, 02:37:21 PM »
I don't know if the phrase existed before the show or not, but I do remember them using it in the pilot episode.  There was a scene where Walter was explaining his plan to Jesse, and Jesse couldn't understand why a chemistry teacher would want to cook meth.  "Suddenly you want to break bad?"  Pretty straightforward, breaking bad is when a normal law abiding person turns to crime.

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #8622 on: September 23, 2013, 02:37:40 PM »
I don't want to break the night-before-christmas-anticipation flow of the official Breaking Bad thread, and my question isn't really about the show, so I'll post this here:

I've never seen Breaking Bad, and probably never will. (Just not my cup of tea.) What does the title mean? To quote Lisa Simpson, I know those words, but that sentence makes no sense to me. The concept of breaking an adjective has been bugging me for 5 years, now, and I need to resolve this little tic in my head whenever I see the title. Is it just to satisfy the periodic table thing in the show's logo? Is it some sort of slang phrase I've never heard of? Some meaningful combination of words that make more sense as the show progresses?

One of the characters says it once in the first season I'm pretty sure, I think it's Jesse.

I've always taken it to mean "Breaking into the act of being bad".  As in starting to cook meth.

Offline Lembach

• Ephialtes
  • Hormel Batch Master
« Reply #8623 on: September 23, 2013, 03:27:21 PM »

"Lead actor Bryan Cranston stated in an interview that "the term 'breaking bad' is a southern colloquialism and it means when someone who has taken a turn off the path of the straight and narrow, when they've gone wrong. And that could be for that day or for a lifetime."

So...uneducated southern patois, basically.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #8624 on: September 23, 2013, 05:20:00 PM »
So, since there are schools up there, unlike here in the south, does everyone talk like Dan Aykroid at the beginning of "Trading Places?"

Sounds boring, y'all.  :)

THOSE MEN WANTED TO HAVE SEX WITH ME!

gum.co/RFTthing