Author Topic: Completely Random Thoughts  (Read 1785552 times)

Quantum Vagina

Re: Completely Random Thoughts
« Reply #8460 on: September 10, 2013, 04:07:38 PM »
I think I was spanked once. I can't remember why or whether it was on my bare butt or not. All I know is that I must have terrified my parents more than angered them. You know? Just scared the living shit out of them and they didn't know how to react. But I don't remember it as anything traumatic or painful. In fact, I'm not even sure how accurately I'm remembering it. That said, I have an incredibly loving and rational family that gets along and always tried to understand and accept me. When I was starting to show signs of depression, anxiety and OCD at a young age, my parents had no idea what to do so there were some screaming matches but they tried their best to learn everything they could about what I was going through. I imagine many, many parents have spanked their kids once or twice. I don't love that idea but I'm not going to shout "ABUSE" at it. However, if that's your go to way of punishing your kid, no matter what they do, then that's a problem.

You forgot the "eh?".

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2638
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #8461 on: September 10, 2013, 05:01:30 PM »
I love arguments based on maybes.  Maybe, if humans had wings, my daily commute would be easier.  Assuming I had sufficient lift to get my fat ass off the ground.

That's OK, what I love are people who argue they've seen no evidence on a topic, are presented with some and, rather than either refute it with evidence, or take it seriously and perhaps read it and possibly have their beliefs challenged, choose a single word and try to act like it is a string that pulls an entire argument apart.

My argument wasn't based on a maybe at all. I used the maybe to try and get you to understand my point, as you don't seem to be following it, or you seem to be purposefully ignoring it.
FINE

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #8462 on: September 10, 2013, 05:28:02 PM »
Or, maybe I've just decided I don't care for BS what-if scenarios. 

There was one sentence of what-ifs, but you still failed to grasp the actual point.

I have life experience dealing with the kid who got the occasional spanking and the one who was raised in a permissive, hands off environment.  I know which one I was willing to take to a movie or restaurant, and which one I paid for a sitter to take care of.

And other than that, the two kids were raised in labs in identical conditions?

And just because he/she behaves in a restaurant, doesn't follow that the child doesn't experience other problems in life - either now or in the future. It does sound like that's worked out convenient for you though.
FINE

Quantum Vagina

« Reply #8463 on: September 10, 2013, 05:39:51 PM »
Both of you quiet down, or I'll spank you. Then, you can tell me if you're feeling abused or not.

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #8464 on: September 10, 2013, 05:46:23 PM »
I grasp you point, disagree, and no longer give a shit.

Shall we move on?

Sure, I can't see why you'd enter a conversation you're not prepared to have and then run away when evidence is presented with your fingers in your ears screaming 'not listening, not listening, not listening.'

But, different strokes and all that.
FINE

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #8465 on: September 10, 2013, 05:48:43 PM »
Both of you quiet down, or I'll spank you. Then, you can tell me if you're feeling abused or not.

Studies show a correlation between kids who are spanked, and adults who... enjoy it also.
FINE

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #8466 on: September 10, 2013, 05:54:32 PM »
I grasp you point, disagree, and no longer give a shit.

Shall we move on?

Sure, I can't see why you'd enter a conversation you're not prepared to have and then run away when evidence is presented with your fingers in your ears screaming 'not listening, not listening, not listening.'

But, different strokes and all that.
I'll concede a point I believe is valid.  For proof, check out the conversation I had with Johnny in the imdb plot keyword thread about deus ex machina while you have been fixating over this thread.

Oh, and drop a few clues; you're up.

Already have, and congrats - That was very big of you.

Admitting you were wrong once, doesn't make your position over here any stronger though.
FINE

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #8467 on: September 10, 2013, 06:04:06 PM »
It was quite normal.  I admit I'm wrong every time that I am.  :)

Also, he made a good point.

I know from experience that the first isn't true, and you've certainly not managed to refute my points yet.
FINE

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #8468 on: September 10, 2013, 06:18:54 PM »
You seem to care deeply about getting me to say you're right, although, on this matter of opinion, I do not...

I've been awake for 24 hours, and I'm not interested in researching and composing a big debate on a matter of opinion.

We fucking disagree, okay?

What are the things that are opinions I have put forward?
FINE

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #8469 on: September 10, 2013, 06:29:30 PM »
Oh, I see, you're trying to only use opinion instead of facts so that you can hide behind them?

I have argued:

One - Studies show there are negative effects in children that are physically punished (They become aggressive etc)

Studies DO show that. I linked to some. That is not a matter of opinion.

Maybe there are better studies to come that will invalidate them, (maybe!) but to the best of our knowledge, that is what we are working with now.

Two - Saying 'it's always worked' isn't an argument for something not being a better way to do things.

Have quite clearly shown examples of this, saying it always worked IS a matter of opinion, saying that it's not a solid argument is not.

Feel free to drop it, but don't act like I'm arguing my opinion. I have even been quite careful to say I haven't judged anyone who does etc, and only responded to claims that weren't factual.
FINE

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #8470 on: September 10, 2013, 07:14:40 PM »
Most of that was pointless, opinions based on anecdotal evidence- continues to not address the points at hand

Now you can cite some study from some group funded by someone else that you think unequivocally shows that this new way of doing this thing is better than that old way, but who hasn't seen a study that was eventually proven wrong?  I sure have.

This is silly though - I even acknowledged that myself in my post.

Yes, they do, all the time - That's the best thing about science, it admits its mistakes and corrects (can take longer sometimes than other times) - But when the best, most current evidence suggests that something is harmful to children and effects them for their entire lives, I can't imagine why you'd want to chance it based on your personal, not backed up with evidence beliefs.

It's not even a matter of it being something that effects you personally, but something people inflict onto others.

(Obviously THAT part is opinion, and you are welcome to be happy to do just that)
FINE

Quantum Vagina

« Reply #8471 on: September 10, 2013, 07:22:47 PM »
Frosted butts should be a new cereal. Then you could tell people you eat butts all the time.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3857
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #8472 on: September 10, 2013, 07:27:19 PM »
It's so cooold in the 'D' ???

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993