Author Topic: Completely Random Thoughts  (Read 1804287 times)

Offline Thrifty Version II

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 556
  • Now with 30% Less Fat!
Re: Completely Random Thoughts
« Reply #8310 on: September 04, 2013, 06:35:55 AM »
So Ariel Casto killed himself.  Shame.  I was hoping he would be facing many years of rape in prison.
Hmm.  I think he made a plea bargain in which he got:

-- Life without parole + 100 years
-- His house gets seized and demolished by the county.
-- He waives his right to appeals.
-- He waives his right to profit off his crimes (via book and movie deals and such).

In exchange, the prosecution gave him:

-- No death penalty.

But he just gave away the only thing that he got out of the deal.

Based on the nature of his crime (a sex crime, and a particularly brutal one at that), and the high profile nature of it, Castro was probably being held in administrative segregation, which is like "extra jail".  Locked in his cell 23 hours a day, 1 hour rec time, extremely limited time outside his cell for showers.  Though I guess he could have been in a less restrictive simple protective custody arrangement.  I dunno how they do it in Ohio.

At any rate, I doubt that even if he was in general population that he'd be raped.  I think that's generally targeted as a move to show dominance in prisons.  You do it to younger, weaker, inmates to claim them as your property.  Most likely he'd just get targeted for beatings and stabbings.  If he was in general population, which I doubt he was.  Probably in some sort of protective custody.  Prison staff generally do their best to prevent inmate-on-inmate violence.

• Big Montana
  • Now with 30% Less Fat!
« Reply #8311 on: September 04, 2013, 06:37:37 AM »
So Ariel Casto killed himself.  Shame.  I was hoping he would be facing many years of rape in prison.

If I were facing the remaining decades of myself behind bars, I might off myself, too. But, I'd also never do what that monster did.

I can't be the only one who fantasizes about going to prison. Just think of all the reading you could get done! You could learn a new language or take up a new trade. I could finally get my GED.
I watch a lot of prison documentary shows.  I guess I'm one of those guys who lives vicariously through them, getting a glimpse of prison life without actually being forced to serve time.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #8312 on: September 04, 2013, 06:43:32 AM »
What did the demolishing of his house do/help?
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #8313 on: September 04, 2013, 06:48:01 AM »
Well from a practical standpoint it might help some potential follow up investigation to see if there were other victims who weren't as "fortunate" as the three who escaped.

Mostly however it's something symbolic for the people who live in the neighbourhood and larger area.

Same thing happened to Fred West's house I think.

• Big Montana
  • Now with 30% Less Fat!
« Reply #8314 on: September 04, 2013, 06:59:12 AM »
Well from a practical standpoint it might help some potential follow up investigation to see if there were other victims who weren't as "fortunate" as the three who escaped.

Mostly however it's something symbolic for the people who live in the neighbourhood and larger area.

Possibly also to stop the neighborhood from being disrupted by preventing the house from becoming some macabre tourist spot.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #8315 on: September 04, 2013, 07:01:04 AM »
Also the case, though the gaping hole in the rows of houses might still attract some but, yes, that was probably one of the motivators as well.

• Big Montana
  • Now with 30% Less Fat!
« Reply #8316 on: September 04, 2013, 07:48:00 AM »
There was a quote from Burn Notice that said (I'm paraphrasing) that the biggest monsters in the world are deeply insecure and think the world is unfair to them.

Now, I don't see the show - entertaining as it may be - as a font of great knowledge and information. 

Nobody actually watches Burn Notice.  Fun little secret: the show does not actually exist.  It's actually just used to display the picture quality of high definition TV sets.

He probably never thought, even in the end, that he deserved to be punished for the awful things he did.  As for myself, I am thankful that I believe in hell, and that he is now receiving the real punishment that he deserves there.

I was never comfortable with the dogma of Hell or eternal punishment.  Hell is not justice for anyone.  No crime ever committed was vile enough to deserve an eternal punishment.  Even a year of the torments of Hell are too severe for even the most despicable men who ever walked the Earth, if you ask me.

• Big Montana
  • Now with 30% Less Fat!
« Reply #8317 on: September 04, 2013, 08:10:48 AM »
I avoid the religion thread for a reason.  So I won't go any farther here with the subject, other than to say, "people disagree about a lot of things.  That is perfectly normal."

Well I didn't want to get into a long derailment either, so we'll leave it at that, but I still think you're bullshitting me about Burn Notice.  Next you're gonna tell me you watch Franklin and Bash.

Offline anais.butterfly

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1382
  • Monkey Brains!
« Reply #8318 on: September 04, 2013, 09:16:24 AM »
I missed the homage.

the whole thing was AWESOME though!  8)
Anais is the Coolest Butterfly I know  ;D

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2657
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #8319 on: September 04, 2013, 11:12:28 AM »
Nah, He did the taxpayers a favor :o

^This.

And his victims, he had actually requested visitation with the child he created, has to be a relief for all the girls that he will never make any more requests or try to tell his side of things ever again.

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6869
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #8320 on: September 04, 2013, 01:50:45 PM »
after a nice peaceful summer, the campus is once again flooded with undergrads. D:
dF = 0
d*F = J

• Big Montana
  • Now with 30% Less Fat!
« Reply #8321 on: September 04, 2013, 03:02:31 PM »
I'm currently on the phone with some con-artists trying to steal my credit card number.  I'm fucking around with them.  More details to come later.

UncleDesmond

« Reply #8322 on: September 04, 2013, 03:10:36 PM »
There was a quote from Burn Notice that said (I'm paraphrasing) that the biggest monsters in the world are deeply insecure and think the world is unfair to them.

Now, I don't see the show - entertaining as it may be - as a font of great knowledge and information. 

Nobody actually watches Burn Notice.  Fun little secret: the show does not actually exist.  It's actually just used to display the picture quality of high definition TV sets.

You mean, like Lembac's avatar, which has gotten a lot clearer with no explanation.

UncleDesmond

« Reply #8323 on: September 04, 2013, 04:12:20 PM »
I'm currently on the phone with some con-artists trying to steal my credit card number.  I'm fucking around with them.  More details to come later.
Spill, baby.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3894
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #8324 on: September 04, 2013, 04:34:34 PM »
I had to look up who Ariel Castro was. I thought he was Fidel's brother and you guys all just *really* hated Cuba.
They're probably related somewhere down the inbred line..