login

Author Topic: Completely Random Thoughts  (Read 1789987 times)

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1537
Re: Completely Random Thoughts
« Reply #7965 on: July 18, 2013, 11:12:14 AM »
Just read over the Emmy nominations.  I think it's interesting that Arrested Development and House of Cards got nominations despite not being a traditional TV shows.  Good for Netflix.

I find it even weirder that Top of the Lake got nominations even though it's a movie that premiered at Sundance.

Top of the Lake was a mini series and it was awesome.  Glad it got nominated.  Very twin peaksy. 

Perhaps they cut it down to a movie for Sundance, but the full mini series is available on Netflix. 
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 11:13:48 AM by Variety of Cells »

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3563
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #7966 on: July 18, 2013, 12:02:17 PM »
They showed the whole thing with a lunch break in the middle.  It is a good....movie....show....thing.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2383
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #7967 on: July 18, 2013, 03:31:50 PM »
I just realized that the Astral Queen, the ship in the remake Battlestar Galactica series that served as a prison transport ship that carried one of the most notorious terrorists of the Colonies...was named after the Astral Queen, a transport ship in the original Star Trek which carried a troupe of actors, one of which was actually Kodos the Executioner one of the most notorious criminals of the Federation.

Mind temporarily blown.  I'll get back to you.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline MSTJedi

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 604
  • In a not too distant future far, far away. . . .
    • Facebook
« Reply #7968 on: July 18, 2013, 03:33:51 PM »
I just realized that the Astral Queen, the ship in the remake Battlestar Galactica series that served as a prison transport ship that carried one of the most notorious terrorists of the Colonies...was named after the Astral Queen, a transport ship in the original Star Trek which carried a troupe of actors, one of which was actually Kodos the Executioner one of the most notorious criminals of the Federation.

Keep telling myself I need to watch that series again sometime soon. Love it.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2639
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #7969 on: July 18, 2013, 05:21:15 PM »
Is there a point at which you don't just find that series bleak and depressing? I made it through 2+ seasons and didn't find one.

I loved the series until the last 30 mins.

It's pretty bleak though.
FINE

Offline MSTJedi

• Climbed El Capitan
    • Facebook
« Reply #7970 on: July 18, 2013, 05:24:09 PM »
Is there a point at which you don't just find that series bleak and depressing? I made it through 2+ seasons and didn't find one.

Not as much as Game of Thrones, since I actually made it through the whole series and still liked it. GoT, on the other hand, I just can't seem to get into anymore because the depressing content is so overwhelming. Still enjoy the books, but not the TV series. I guess BSG just had enough other things going for it that I could overlook the downer side with the robots, the space battles, and the hot Cylon chicks.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2639
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #7971 on: July 18, 2013, 05:46:48 PM »
I think the difference with GoT is that there are likeable characters.  Every single person on BSG was a total fucking dickhead.

I found the opposite.
FINE

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2645
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #7972 on: July 18, 2013, 10:57:25 PM »
I think the difference with GoT is that there are likeable characters.  Every single person on BSG was a total fucking dickhead.

I found the opposite.

I haven't watched Game Of Thrones but have to agree, I liked most of the characters in BSG.  There were several that I switched back and forth between like and hate, but overall there were if not likeable, at the least interesting complex characters.  You don't get a lot of very complex characters on TV shows, there were tons of them on BSG.

I've also been thinking about re-watching it again.  When the blu-ray entire series box set came out I re-watched about 3/4 of the episodes, but never went through them in order.  Of course I keep thinking that about Lost as well, I've barely touched that box set.

Offline Lembach

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 8272
  • Hormel Batch Master
« Reply #7973 on: July 18, 2013, 11:24:29 PM »
I think that's the most random thought yet!

Ironically, that's a quote! (Cartoon Gore)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline MSTJedi

• Climbed El Capitan
    • Facebook
« Reply #7974 on: July 19, 2013, 12:18:18 AM »

Yeah, but I found most of them to be likable dickheads. Gaius was a self-serving prick, but very entertaining. Starbuck was pretty fucked up in the head, but made up for it in much badassery. Just about everyone had serious issues, now that I think about it. And if they didn't at first, they developed them over the course of the series. Apollo was a was always a whiny little bitch with daddy issues, though.  ;)

I think Tyrion is the only character that I really come back for in GoT. Well, Dany's story arc is pretty good, too, but those two are too little represented for me to keep going. Or maybe they just hadn't gotten to that yet in the first few episodes of the season. Need to watch the Red Wedding episode if nothing else, I suppose, though most of the shock factor is mitigated from reading the books and all the hype from when it first aired.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2383
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #7975 on: July 19, 2013, 01:09:35 AM »
I still love BSG, been meaning to rewatch it from start to finish again.  I even liked the ending, even though I heard a lot of complaints about it.  I really got wrapped up in the character development in that series, and surprisingly Gaius was the one that affected me the most.  Not afraid to say I cried a little at his last line in the finale.  Simple line, delivered perfectly.  Meaningless without the context, but powerful.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline anais.butterfly

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1382
  • Monkey Brains!
« Reply #7976 on: July 19, 2013, 06:36:20 AM »
We stayed up for two and three more episodes [of BSG] than we planned on our work days, and never stopped watching them on the days off.

Oh, that must have been you in that episode of Portlandia ;)
Anais is the Coolest Butterfly I know  ;D

Hawkfan

« Reply #7977 on: July 19, 2013, 04:58:49 PM »

Keep telling myself I need to watch that series again sometime soon. Love it.
I tried it again recently, and without the intrigue of not knowing what the hell is going to happen, it was difficult to keep paying attention to it. Babylon 5, however, is watchable again and again.

Offline Thrifty Version II

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 556
  • Now with 30% Less Fat!
« Reply #7978 on: July 19, 2013, 05:46:52 PM »
To get this thread back on track and more random, I present an excerpt from Timecube.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline Thrifty Version II

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 556
  • Now with 30% Less Fat!
« Reply #7979 on: July 20, 2013, 06:35:23 AM »
I'm taking a business class in school.  I hate it, but it's a requirement for the degree program, so I grit my teeth and bear it.  The first class was on the 7th and the second on the 14th.  One student, a kid of probably 19 or 20, missed the first class but was there for the second.  When the teacher asked him why he was absent for the first class, he said "my grandmother died". 

I rolled my eyes at the lame excuse.  The teacher seemed to buy it, but it's possible she was just humoring the guy because she didn't want to make a big deal out of it or a confrontation.  I guess it could be true, but I'm skeptical.