login

Author Topic: Completely Random Thoughts  (Read 1785289 times)

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4641
Re: Completely Random Thoughts
« Reply #7950 on: July 15, 2013, 07:22:38 PM »
So you know how people can have panic attacks, is there a similar phenomenon whereby people just feel incredibly lonely for no real reason?

[spoilered to save space: same as above, but, since related, I'm quoting it here]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

There are two things I forgot to mention that are significant unrecognized triggers for emotional memories, so figured I'd add them here.

The first is sensory input.  Any of the five senses can trigger an emotional memory.  e.g. today's 'orange-shift' to the light (or any other distinctive visual change) could serve as a trigger (Tripe, given your statement above, likely that orange-shift generated or triggered more comfortable emotional memories, rather than the initial one).  But also body sensations of touch (pain, etc.), auditory input (wind, thunder, and - obviously - music), taste (vanilla, bitter, etc.), and the obvious that most brain science shows point out, smell, can serve as triggers for emotional memories.

The second biggie I forgot in the earlier post is time of year or specific date.  With traumas these are referred to as 'anniversary reactions'.  [I just finished with a multitude of them, the two majors being my second and third accidents/head injuries: sources were early July, then end of June two years later.]  Even if we forget the event, the emotional memory may re-emerge simply because of the date or time of year.

Hope that all helps, also.
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline Thrifty Version II

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 556
  • Now with 30% Less Fat!
« Reply #7951 on: July 15, 2013, 08:29:07 PM »
The second biggie I forgot in the earlier post is time of year or specific date.  With traumas these are referred to as 'anniversary reactions'.

Those are the worst.  July 2nd, 2008 my life completely turned upside down in an instant, leading to the worst 3 months of my life.  I very suddenly lost a job that I actually loved.  Not even for financial reasons; it was termination for cause based on my own record of poor judgement.  Since then July has always kinda bummed me out.  August 21st is worse though, because August 21st 2008 was the single worst day of my life and I tend to shut down every year on that day.

Then there was a lot of shit that happened in 2006.... also in July....

Man... fuck Summer.

• Big Montana
  • Now with 30% Less Fat!
« Reply #7952 on: July 15, 2013, 08:30:47 PM »
It drives me nuts when someone refers to something like "a 1 week anniversary" or a "1 month anniversary".  ANNIVERSARY MEANS ONE YEAR GOD DAMNIT.

It's bad enough that you're celebrating insipid milestones at ridiculously short intervals.  Do you have to butcher the English language while you're at it?

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2383
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #7953 on: July 15, 2013, 08:52:15 PM »
It drives me nuts when someone refers to something like "a 1 week anniversary" or a "1 month anniversary".  ANNIVERSARY MEANS ONE YEAR GOD DAMNIT.

It's bad enough that you're celebrating insipid milestones at ridiculously short intervals.  Do you have to butcher the English language while you're at it?

Strangely, the part that annoys me is when it's misused for big events by one year.  I remember when WrestleMania XXV was almost out and they kept promoting "The 25th anniversarry of WrestleMana"...except that the first one was not WrestleMania 0.  The first anniversary of WrestleMania would be WrestleMania 2 (aproximately, since they weren't on the same date) and the 25th anniversary would be WrestleMania XXVI (again, aprox.)
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline Nobody

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 617
« Reply #7954 on: July 17, 2013, 11:26:56 AM »
When I got home from work this morning, I decided to make a latte for my niece, who lives with me.  She's in college now, and she's been with me since she was six.  Long story.  Anyway, she had a busy day planned today, so I gave her some caffeine to get going. 

She walked into the kitchen, bleary eyed, and I said, "here, I made you some coffee."

"Is it strong?" she asked.

I replied, "Is it strong?  Listen bud!  It's got radioactive blood!"

She took the coffee with a small smile, shook her head and turned away.  I'm not sure, but I think she said, "you dork."  All I know is she got the reference, and that's all the proof I need that I raised her right.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #7955 on: July 17, 2013, 12:23:51 PM »
Tripe, given your statement above, likely that orange-shift generated or triggered more comfortable emotional memories, rather than the initial one
See that's interesting, I drive an orange car, wear a fair amount of orange clothing and I think many of you are familiar with my opinion on the prevailing trend in warm-cold colour keying in movies, orange really is a happy colour as far as I'm aware (I like teal as well)

Offline Lembach

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 8272
  • Hormel Batch Master
« Reply #7956 on: July 17, 2013, 12:37:42 PM »
Tripe, given your statement above, likely that orange-shift generated or triggered more comfortable emotional memories, rather than the initial one
See that's interesting, I drive an orange car, wear a fair amount of orange clothing and I think many of you are familiar with my opinion on the prevailing trend in warm-cold colour keying in movies, orange really is a happy colour as far as I'm aware (I like teal as well)

Orange? Ewwwww.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #7957 on: July 17, 2013, 12:42:08 PM »
Yep. :)

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5133
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #7958 on: July 17, 2013, 05:45:21 PM »
No, no, good orange, not sickly John Boehner orange.

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
« Reply #7959 on: July 17, 2013, 06:00:45 PM »
Saw where the Hank Williams Jr beard guy from Laserblast died.

My first thought was I wonder if he ever got anyone to Play some football!

Horrible of me.
Opticians are easy on the eyes

• Big Montana
  • Now with 30% Less Fat!
« Reply #7960 on: July 17, 2013, 06:08:16 PM »
I've reported this thread to the moderators.  The title clearly says "completely random thoughts".  These thoughts are only mostly random.

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6861
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #7961 on: July 17, 2013, 06:10:43 PM »
I've reported this thread to the moderators.  The title clearly says "completely random thoughts".  These thoughts are only mostly random.

dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline Lembach

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 8272
  • Hormel Batch Master
« Reply #7962 on: July 17, 2013, 08:58:51 PM »
I powdered my cockatiel for the ribcage slaughter!

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
« Reply #7963 on: July 18, 2013, 09:34:14 AM »
I think that's the most random thought yet!
Opticians are easy on the eyes

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3563
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #7964 on: July 18, 2013, 10:27:49 AM »
Just read over the Emmy nominations.  I think it's interesting that Arrested Development and House of Cards got nominations despite not being a traditional TV shows.  Good for Netflix.

I find it even weirder that Top of the Lake got nominations even though it's a movie that premiered at Sundance.