login

Author Topic: Completely Random Thoughts  (Read 1790151 times)

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
Re: Completely Random Thoughts
« Reply #7440 on: April 05, 2013, 11:18:32 AM »
Now see that's where bulk buying might work for you. Is there a service in your area where you can sign up for a subscription to receive fresh produce on a regular basis? I'm blanking on the name of those sort of schemes though.

CSA (community supported agriculture)
That's the bunny, I knew it was in some way Jeph Davis related. ;)

I know they have them in NYC. Variety, you live on the Upper West Side, right? There's the Columbus Circle farmer's market, and I'm sure you could get some information or get started there. They are not exactly cheap (around $400-$500 per season, and that's in Lancaster county, I am not sure what NYC prices would be), but you don't have to spend money on produce after that.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Online Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #7441 on: April 05, 2013, 11:23:46 AM »
Now see that's where bulk buying might work for you. Is there a service in your area where you can sign up for a subscription to receive fresh produce on a regular basis? I'm blanking on the name of those sort of schemes though.

CSA (community supported agriculture)
That's the bunny, I knew it was in some way Jeph Davis related. ;)

I know they have them in NYC. Variety, you live on the Upper West Side, right? There's the Columbus Circle farmer's market, and I'm sure you could get some information or get started there. They are not exactly cheap (around $400-$500 per season, and that's in Lancaster county, I am not sure what NYC prices would be), but you don't have to spend money on produce after that.

I'm in washington heights, but it's a manageable subway ride.  I'll definitely look into that.  Thanks for the tip. 

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
« Reply #7442 on: April 05, 2013, 11:29:54 AM »
I know what you're saying about the tiny NYC grocery stores, though. I love Zabars but omfg you cannot even walk around in there (and I am small). Add to that the fact that the aisles are always jammed anyway, and it makes it nearly impossible to shop.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Online Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #7443 on: April 05, 2013, 11:41:58 AM »
I know what you're saying about the tiny NYC grocery stores, though. I love Zabars but omfg you cannot even walk around in there (and I am small). Add to that the fact that the aisles are always jammed anyway, and it makes it nearly impossible to shop.

It's a whole different world when I find myself in a suburban grocery store.  It feels like I'm in the Cosco from Idiocracy.  I can actually move around and take more than five seconds to look at a product without having to move out of the way for someone to pass. 

I looked into CSAs, and I even found a couple I could pick from close to where I live.  You're right, they're a little expensive.  About $450 for 22 weeks, though the price seems worth it to me.  The only thing holding me back is our schedules.  Keatyn works during the pickup hours, and I never know what my schedule will be from day to day, but most likely I won't be able to pick up on Tuesdays or Thursdays either.  So unfortunately CSAs are not an option for me.  But I'll keep it in mind for when we have kids and her work schedule changes.

Offline Lembach

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 8272
  • Hormel Batch Master
« Reply #7444 on: April 05, 2013, 01:17:14 PM »

It's a whole different world when I find myself in a suburban grocery store.  It feels like I'm in the Cosco from Idiocracy.  I can actually move around and take more than five seconds to look at a product without having to move out of the way for someone to pass. 

I looked into CSAs, and I even found a couple I could pick from close to where I live.  You're right, they're a little expensive.  About $450 for 22 weeks, though the price seems worth it to me.  The only thing holding me back is our schedules.  Keatyn works during the pickup hours, and I never know what my schedule will be from day to day, but most likely I won't be able to pick up on Tuesdays or Thursdays either.  So unfortunately CSAs are not an option for me.  But I'll keep it in mind for when we have kids and her work schedule changes.

While their produce might have been fresh, it was delivered on the backs of oppression. In any case, it's a moot issue. The CSA was put down in 1865.

Offline bta

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 739
  • Sort this; deliver that; I'll make 'em all pay.
« Reply #7445 on: April 06, 2013, 01:34:29 PM »
I think you should get a tax credit for NOT having kids.
\()/ 3~ \()/

Online Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #7446 on: April 07, 2013, 09:08:39 AM »
Talking while eating is good for digestion, and you end up eating less because you stomach has time to register that it's full.

I personally don't talk much while I eat, and have a habit of shoving food in my mouth.

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
« Reply #7447 on: April 07, 2013, 01:59:43 PM »
Food Lion has Chocolate Cheesecake cookies in the feminine products aisle.  Thats what I call perfect advertsing.
Opticians are easy on the eyes

Offline Chaos

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3
  • Danger Zone!
    • The Literal Truth
« Reply #7448 on: April 07, 2013, 07:23:44 PM »
Just don't ask for the salt, or chef might murder you.
"First there was Chaos, the vast immeasurable abyss, Outrageous as a sea, dark, wasteful, wild." -Milton

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3563
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #7449 on: April 07, 2013, 09:00:44 PM »

I had my sister over for dinner last weekend and she asked for salt. I sorta accidentally chewed her out about it.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 09:15:11 PM by Kete »

Offline Lembach

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 8272
  • Hormel Batch Master
« Reply #7450 on: April 07, 2013, 09:09:45 PM »

My had my sister over for dinner last weekend and she asked for salt. I sorta accidentally chewed her out about it.

I would have used more to spite you. Then put ketchup on it.

Online Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #7451 on: April 07, 2013, 10:07:01 PM »
No more adding salt for me. A not-so-great blood pressure for 26 has made me reject as much salt as I can. Not a terrible blood pressure, but I'm skinny, so I've always thought that meant I can eat whatever I want pretty much. But that's not the case.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3857
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #7452 on: April 08, 2013, 01:52:10 AM »
5am and at work.. Yay :-[

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2639
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #7453 on: April 08, 2013, 06:39:28 PM »
I am really enjoying this new forum game:

http://forum.rifftrax.com/index.php?topic=26854.0

And we could use a few more good players. ;)
FINE

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6861
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #7454 on: April 09, 2013, 03:13:30 PM »
i believe i can fly. i believe i can touch the sky.
dF = 0
d*F = J