login

Author Topic: Completely Random Thoughts  (Read 1808426 times)

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6870
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
Re: Completely Random Thoughts
« Reply #7185 on: March 10, 2013, 07:35:45 AM »
today's the kind of day to put on the give-up-on-life pants and watch monty python's flying circus all day.
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1547
« Reply #7186 on: March 10, 2013, 08:24:56 AM »
wurwolf
Of all the things said, I like this one the most.

So uh, you want to get something to drink later?

goflyblind
today's the kind of day to put on the give-up-on-life pants and watch monty python's flying circus all day.

Been doing that since I had the flu a few weeks ago, then it just kind of continued into my health.  It's been great re watching them all.  Also, when it comes to user names, I never read them carefully because they are always weird and usually don't mean anything, so I don't bother.  I figured you were a fan of golfing blind until I had to spell it out because quoting is broken. 

Just-The-Trax

I didn't equate those two situations.  I'll just simplify my statements.  If a woman wants a man to be more like a woman (or vice versa), they will be more often than not disappointed.  People behave how they want to, not how you want them to.

And being a man isn't easier than being a woman, just different.

Ehhhhh, I don't know if I can agree with that.  You've heard about prejudices against women, no?  It's getting better, sure, but it's not like they still don't permeate our society.  Also, having your period every month is shitty.  It's not a fun thing, especially for women who are more emotionally affected by it than others.  Feeling slightly crazy and irrational once a month is not something I would wish on anyone. 

Men don't have to worry about getting pregnant when they have sex.  They are free to be as irresponsible as they like. 

And I don't think we can argue that historically it's been any better with women traded as a commodity and treated as something quite different than men.  This is all leaving out the previous point of physical inequality that allows men to put women in this position in the first place. 

Our society has done great things for women.  But it's easier to be a man.  It's not better or cooler or more emotionally fulfilling to be a man, but it's definitely easier.  While there are challenges to being a man, those challenges don't often leave the man raped, ritually beaten, pregnant, or treated as a sexual object if the man fails to overcome them.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #7187 on: March 10, 2013, 08:45:01 AM »
Geeze, if I was reading goflyblind's user name wrong for years, I wonder what I would think my user name is if it wasn't mine.  Just a mess of letters I think, I don't even know if my brain would bother to give it a sound.  Sometimes my brain will do that, just classify a username by how it looks without bothering to read it.  Especially if there's an avatar to go with it.  I would be "that one that starts with a V and ends with lls with a bunch of random letters in the middle with the yellow giraffe that used to be the city of lost children poster".  Which is somehow easier for my brain to do than it is for my brain to just read the fucking user name.   
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 08:58:07 AM by Variety of Cells »

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6870
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #7188 on: March 10, 2013, 08:55:43 AM »
wait, your name isn't variety of giraffes? my reality is shattered.
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #7189 on: March 10, 2013, 08:58:19 AM »
There, now you can actually read my username.  I apologize for it being a big mess of letters for six years.  A big mess that I'm not the biggest fan of anymore, but I want to be consistent. 

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #7190 on: March 10, 2013, 09:01:58 AM »
I like the time change this year, because it means my fiance gets home an hour earlier from her trip. 

Offline Lemming Howard

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 178
  • God rest you Brother.
« Reply #7191 on: March 10, 2013, 09:12:08 AM »
Got the chills so I cranked up the heat.  Apparently a few tiny hibernating spiders think that's the signal that spring has sprung.  Felt one web on my face.  Jokes on them!
And I'm worse than Hitler.

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
« Reply #7192 on: March 10, 2013, 10:11:09 AM »
The last two days have been warm so, this being farm country, there are flies everywhere. How do they just suddenly appear?

I love daylight savings time and look forward to this weekend like it was my birthday. It's wonderful having the extra daylight at the end of the day, especially since, during the winter, my train leaves NYC at 5:10 and it's completely dark outside. It will be nice to have the extra light so I can see the countryside go by, at least until we reach Philadelphia. The best is in the summer when it's still light enough to see outside when we reach Lancaster county.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2666
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #7193 on: March 10, 2013, 10:34:17 AM »
I guess the problem is, I never know where this whole viewing me as a female and not as a human being thing is going to crop up.
I see the same sort of thing sometimes when white people talk to APGIL.

That's the point I was trying to make about pretty much everyone getting put into categories they usually don't like.  And there's really nothing you can do about it unless you want to pretend to be someone else all the time.

There are people that see different looking people as human beings and people that don't.  Sometimes it's obvious right away, but sometimes you don't notice it until certain topics or situations come up.  And usually the people that don't see others as humans see them as something to use, so when you detect it happening just remember that you would also probably be detecting it even if you were a man with different color skin, or any other difference.

In other words, spotting jerks is hard.  ;D

The last two days have been warm so, this being farm country, there are flies everywhere. How do they just suddenly appear?

They do seem to hatch the instant the temperature gets high enough.  I saw a mosquito on one of the horses yesterday, I thought it took 2 days of warm for them to hatch?  I guess if it doesn't quite make it down below freezing at night they survive.

And now I see the quote problem, works fine if you use the quote button on the original message, but the "insert quote" button isn't working.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #7194 on: March 10, 2013, 10:56:08 AM »
Just-the-Trax
Whatever.  Good luck to anyone who wants men to act more like women or who wants the opposite.  That was my entire point, really, and I'm not interested in further reiterating it as the discussion goes off on tangents.

While your advice is very practical, (I would not advise a woman to walk up to a bunch of construction workers and expect a heart to heart) I challenge the idea that 'treating women as sexual objects' is an attitude that can't be changed and shouldn't even be attempted.  We've changed so much about the way humans live, why can't we strive to change that one too?  I'm all for being practical, but I don't see the need to lose hope just yet.

Normally I don't like tangents either, but this thread is dedicated to tangents so I see no issue in continuing a random discussion.  Unless you interpret the thread title literally, and feel that each post needs to be completely random and unrelated to any other post.  Though seriously, if you'd rather not continue, it was nice talking with you.

Offline Satellite of Love

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 631
  • We Got Movie Sign!!
« Reply #7195 on: March 10, 2013, 11:35:21 AM »
God I hate having to turn the clocks ahead....less time to sleep

Offline mike5150

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 312
  • I used to be cool dag nabbit!
« Reply #7196 on: March 10, 2013, 11:46:01 AM »
Is 'quote' broken? Or am I in some sort of unannounced, but probably well deserved time out?

and I think flies hibernate. So if it gets warm, they wake up and have coffee and dead squirrel carcass, and then fly around. I may have dreamed this and it may not be true at all.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 11:50:56 AM by mike5150 »

Dr Ahmad Makhini

« Reply #7197 on: March 10, 2013, 12:01:49 PM »
Is 'quote' broken? Or am I in some sort of unannounced, but probably well deserved time out?

and I think flies hibernate. So if it gets warm, they wake up and have coffee and dead squirrel carcass, and then fly around. I may have dreamed this and it may not be true at all.
Yup: it's broken for me too.

Offline mike5150

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 312
  • I used to be cool dag nabbit!
« Reply #7198 on: March 10, 2013, 12:11:37 PM »
It's going to make the photo caption kinda hard to follow. I'll just post them here:

"Hey Jed! You better not put THAT up your nose!"

Oh, and if they have to dig in and fix it, I would like to put out a formal request to change the "quote" button to say "and you can quote me on that" and the "like" button to say "OMG! Your post has changed my life!" you know....if you had to fix it anyway.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 12:14:57 PM by mike5150 »

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #7199 on: March 10, 2013, 12:40:27 PM »
So, what do you want Dr. A?