login

Author Topic: Completely Random Thoughts  (Read 1784840 times)

Danecho1967

Re: Completely Random Thoughts
« Reply #4560 on: February 29, 2012, 11:03:58 AM »
I'm hoping the reports of Davy Jones' death are incorrect.  :(
Sadly, they are not.  There goes another part of my early childhood.  :(

R.I.P. Davy.

Danecho1967

« Reply #4561 on: March 01, 2012, 08:45:50 PM »
So glad the week is almost over.  This weekend's project will be photoshopping the elements for my next video.  The things aren't going viral or anything, but they are fun to make.

Invader_quirk

« Reply #4562 on: March 01, 2012, 09:47:39 PM »
It's really depressing when grown men can't state their side of an issue without belittling the intelligence of the other people and acting like they don't even NEED to explain it because any sane person would get it.

anais.jude

« Reply #4563 on: March 02, 2012, 06:21:10 AM »
Does a bear poop in the woods?

I am going to watch Jack Frost now

Offline Dim of the Yard

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 71
  • Do the Servo Swivel!
    • Dim's Twitter Page
« Reply #4564 on: March 02, 2012, 06:53:22 AM »
Been thinking a lot, and I have just 2 random thoughts that popped into my head.

One: People aren't wearing enough hats.

Two: Matter is energy. In the universe there are many energy fields which we cannot normally perceive. Some energies have a spiritual source which act upon a person's soul. However, this "soul" does not exist ab initio as orthodox Christianity teaches; it has to be brought into existence by a process of guided self-observation. However, this is rarely achieved owing to man's unique ability to be distracted from spiritual matters by everyday trivia.

... What is it you were saying about... hats?

Offline TeamRAD

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 103
  • RAAAADDDDD!
« Reply #4565 on: March 02, 2012, 07:25:20 AM »

Diabeetus!

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Einstein

Invader_quirk

« Reply #4566 on: March 02, 2012, 07:30:38 AM »
Batman Returns has 79% on Rotten Tomatoes. The hell?! I could've SWORN it was god-awful...

anais.jude

« Reply #4567 on: March 02, 2012, 08:12:48 AM »
Batman Returns has 79% on Rotten Tomatoes. The hell?! I could've SWORN it was god-awful...

I liked it

Invader_quirk

« Reply #4568 on: March 02, 2012, 08:17:45 AM »
Yeah, I figured everybody would leap to its defense, leaving me to just look like an ass. Oh well. It's one of those where I hated it and I can't see any reason why other people would enjoy it. Usually I can say "I didn't like it, but I see why others would". Not this one. I don't get it.

anais.jude

« Reply #4569 on: March 02, 2012, 08:30:04 AM »
Yeah, I figured everybody would leap to its defense, leaving me to just look like an ass. Oh well. It's one of those where I hated it and I can't see any reason why other people would enjoy it. Usually I can say "I didn't like it, but I see why others would". Not this one. I don't get it.

I would be happy to discuss (in a civilizated manner) what you disliked about the film and what I liked about it. First, I LOVE Christopher Walken. This is the first film I ever saw him in. I thought he was creepy when I was a kid, but he always stuck out to me.

Also, it was awesome seeing a girl who had been victimized start to kick all the butt!

I liked the Alfred/Bruce interactions in this film. Alfred became much more of a character (thus making Batman and Robin slightly ok because his role was heightened).

Your thoughts?

PS: This is going to be a CIVIL conversation. No one may respond unless they are civil. So Sayeth Anais :)

Invader_quirk

« Reply #4570 on: March 02, 2012, 08:55:04 AM »
It's been a while since I last saw it, but I was just really surprised at how bad I thought everything was considering that the first one was pretty good. I forgot about Walken, who's probably the high point of it. The plot wasn't particularly bad, I guess, it just seemed like piss-poor execution, from the dialog to its failure to mask the fact that the whole thing was on a sound stage. Catwoman, in theory, is fine (an abused woman striking back, like you mentioned), but falling from a building, being OK, and being trampled by cats as her origin? I thought that was beyond stupid. I hated the Penguin, who I guess I was supposed to think was funny? I found him neither menacing nor humorous, so whatever they were going for didn't work for me. I didn't buy his rise to power, which, again, was possibly supposed to amuse me. I found the banter insipid, the one-liners weak...

I don't know what else to say. Basically, I thought everything Burton tried to do failed miserably. I know that's not really conducive to discussion, but that's pretty much how I feel about it.

anais.jude

« Reply #4571 on: March 02, 2012, 09:01:18 AM »
I can respect and understand your opinion. Perhaps the next time I watch it I might notice the sound stage stuff.

What are the actual origins for the Penguin and Catwoman? All my Batman knowledge prior to this film was from...well the first film.

I forgot all about the Penguin. I am not sure how I feel about him. I think Burton focused too much on the idea that he was physcially handicapped and gross (which is a Burton staple) and that probably was the worst decision (IMO) that Burton made for that character. It's fine that he wants to add his own mental issues to the movie, but it seems he did it at the expense of a well known and well created character.

Insipid Banter and Stupid One Liners: A) I will take ANY WORD UTTERED in Batman Returns over anything in Batman and Robin (and everything Val Kilmer said in Batman Forever too). So to that I say...meh

Thanks for the civilized discourse :)

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3856
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #4572 on: March 02, 2012, 09:03:13 AM »
Proly cause noone wants to be Smited :o

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #4573 on: March 02, 2012, 09:09:11 AM »
Or that it's Batman Returns, I can take or leave the film really and I suspect that's the case for most people. I do think that having the Penguin as anything other than the way Burgess Merdith played him (and the portrayal of the character in the comics that is related to that) is fraught with difficulty,  it just difficult to have him as even a semiserious character.

Invader_quirk

« Reply #4574 on: March 02, 2012, 09:11:19 AM »
I can respect and understand your opinion. Perhaps the next time I watch it I might notice the sound stage stuff.

What are the actual origins for the Penguin and Catwoman? All my Batman knowledge prior to this film was from...well the first film.
I don't actually know. I'm not really a comic book guy. For all I know, it may be 100% true to source, but I still think it's dumb. A lot of things in comics are ridiculous, so I'm thankful when movies make them more realistic.

I forgot all about the Penguin. I am not sure how I feel about him. I think Burton focused too much on the idea that he was physcially handicapped and gross (which is a Burton staple) and that probably was the worst decision (IMO) that Burton made for that character. It's fine that he wants to add his own mental issues to the movie, but it seems he did it at the expense of a well known and well created character.

The fact that his slightly penguiny appearance made him want to eat raw fish was pretty ridiculous too.

Insipid Banter and Stupid One Liners: A) I will take ANY WORD UTTERED in Batman Returns over anything in Batman and Robin (and everything Val Kilmer said in Batman Forever too). So to that I say...meh

I'll give you that, but that's the ultimate excuse, isn't it? "I didn't think the slaughter of Native Americans was too bad." *met with shocked silence* "I watched Batman and Robin just before hearing about it, though." *sympathetic nods*

Yer welcome, neighbor.