login

Author Topic: Completely Random Thoughts  (Read 1971003 times)

Offline The Lurker

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 5520
Re: Completely Random Thoughts
« Reply #20010 on: November 10, 2019, 06:55:47 PM »
This may get cross posted to the Talking Animals list thread at some point.  Apparently, Kimmy Schmidt had an equivalent to Wayne's World's Bugs Bunny discussion.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/4vBXdgMIyUQ" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/4vBXdgMIyUQ</a>

Offline Russoguru

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1068
  • Thank you, sweet Rabbit!
« Reply #20011 on: November 11, 2019, 06:03:35 PM »
Today I am again reminded of how much energy depressive episodes sap from my reserves. One minute I'm feeling amazing... then the next, something little happens and... I fall to fucking pieces. I all of a sudden feel so tired, like I can't even function anymore. It's amazing how I can go from feeling great to feeling absolutely bottoming the fuck out. I hate feeling this way. I know it won't last forever, but it still hurts me terribly anyway. Part of me feels like this is entirely my fault, that somehow how I feel is a choice.

Offline Cupcake

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 1148
  • Rebranded from Lesbunny
« Reply #20012 on: November 12, 2019, 04:50:00 PM »
In case you didn't know, the internet is a scary thing. I've been trying to figure out a co-workers age, because a student thought she was 28, and she's like no, I'm older. So, out of curiosity, I search her Facebook. Private, and I'm not adding her. I think I got a dead end on my creepy stalking and then I realize she probably graduated from KU. I search her name+ KU graduation and BAM. I find out her graduation date: 2009 with a Master's of Science Education. She's probably mid 30's, which lines up With her mention that she's been a teacher for 10 years. All this from her name and graduation date. The internet is scary.

Offline Russoguru

« Reply #20013 on: November 12, 2019, 10:15:35 PM »
In case you didn't know, the internet is a scary thing. I've been trying to figure out a co-workers age, because a student thought she was 28, and she's like no, I'm older. So, out of curiosity, I search her Facebook. Private, and I'm not adding her. I think I got a dead end on my creepy stalking and then I realize she probably graduated from KU. I search her name+ KU graduation and BAM. I find out her graduation date: 2009 with a Master's of Science Education. She's probably mid 30's, which lines up With her mention that she's been a teacher for 10 years. All this from her name and graduation date. The internet is scary.
Unfortunately it's been that way for a long time, I think generally speaking people just don't give a shit about privacy anymore. If they do, there's not a whole hell of a lot they can do though, because the 21st century is a digital book.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4980
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #20014 on: November 13, 2019, 12:20:50 AM »
Should Free Internet Be a Basic Human Right? There's a Strong Case For It  :o
https://www.sciencealert.com/here-s-why-one-scientist-believes-free-internet-should-be-a-basic-human-right?

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #20015 on: November 14, 2019, 02:29:58 AM »
Wasn't sure where to even put this.. :o

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6571
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #20016 on: November 14, 2019, 06:29:02 AM »

I got 99 cans and a good beer aint one.

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 7352
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #20017 on: November 14, 2019, 07:34:40 AM »

"family pack"? is their slogan count how many you have to drink before your relatives become tolerable!
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline F-Zero

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 185
« Reply #20018 on: November 14, 2019, 08:11:50 AM »
Hahaha!

Offline Russoguru

« Reply #20019 on: November 19, 2019, 10:59:33 PM »
My philosophy is by no means unique or a new point of view... the meaning of life is to do your best to leave the world a better place than you found it. Obviously, for the bulk of people such a feat is far beyond their power. The best I can do is try and make the world better for my family, my friends, those I love. Sometimes lofty ambitions require a more practical and thus more narrowly focused approach.

Online Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3323
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #20020 on: November 19, 2019, 11:15:27 PM »
My philosophy is by no means unique or a new point of view... the meaning of life is to do your best to leave the world a better place than you found it. Obviously, for the bulk of people such a feat is far beyond their power. The best I can do is try and make the world better for my family, my friends, those I love. Sometimes lofty ambitions require a more practical and thus more narrowly focused approach.

“When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for having been there. ” Jim Henson
FINE

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 5041
« Reply #20021 on: November 21, 2019, 10:46:00 AM »

I agree, largely.  My 2¢ addition:

Leaving the world a better place than you found it can be done in many small ways: pick up trash from the ground if you see it didn't make it into a trash can; smile at people and say "hello"; if you see someone struggling (whether with something physical or mental) help them if you can.  Each of these can raise the conditions for people in the world.  The size of the help doesn't matter as much as doing things without expectation of reward (not even a 'thank you') - because they raise the overall mood of the person you help, and of anyone who sees or learns of it.  [The reason for not even expecting a 'thank you' is because, if someone doesn't get such thanks, then they may feel resentful.  If they don't expect it, then it is a happy bonus if it shows up.]  But probably the key one is to take care of oneself - if one isn't doing these things because they have an excess of available energy and functioning, then the tendency is to become worn out and negative or resentful in thinking, both of which are unpleasant, as well as subsequently bringing down other people one interacts with.
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 537
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
« Reply #20022 on: November 21, 2019, 03:48:09 PM »

Does anyone mind if I throw in my 2 cents as well?

I agree to all the above but would also include not just family, friends, and those I love, but also my enemies too (and boy is that easier said than done!). I've learned hate begets hate in this world. And love begets love. And it's rarely immediately apparent. It takes time to change. I go by faith that if I'm hated all the more, I'm still doing the right thing. In fact, it seems to me that those who are against me are probably in need of a great amount of love more than they deserve. And that's how people work. We are works in progress. Heaven knows I've been given love and mercy in times I didn't deserve it, and I'm a better person for having received it. Even from the angriest people, it's been my experience that we're often attributing to malice something can be adequately explained by stupidity (those two are confused a lot), and sometimes we're just collateral damage in someone else's war against themselves. So I say, it's better to love those who don't love you as well. That's how I try to leave the world in a better place anyway. I don't always do a good job at it. But I try. 

On that topic, I've been thinking a lot about what I heard the Dalai Llama say once. Trying to find an exact quote, but iirc he talks about how flowers inhale CO2 and exhale oxygen, so should we inhale hate and exhale love. Closest I could find was this: "I take people's anger, suspicions, distrust, and give them patience, tolerance, and compassion."

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 7352
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #20023 on: November 22, 2019, 12:16:23 AM »
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #20024 on: November 22, 2019, 12:26:24 AM »
I'm just throwing in my $0.02