Author Topic: Completely Random Thoughts  (Read 1808851 times)

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2666
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
Re: Completely Random Thoughts
« Reply #19680 on: December 19, 2018, 07:55:25 PM »
Why does Target have 18 checkout register isles when the most I've ever seen open is 4 maybe 5?  And I've been going there since the store opened in the 90s.

Target?  Every single retail store in existence is like that.  It's not as many checkout lines, but it's still fewer than are ever open.

But I think the real answer is that they need the space to expand in case of very heavy traffic.  Check it out on Black Friday or Christmas Even.  I once saw all the lanes open the day before a big snowstorm was predicted.

Forgot to mention it's a Target with 2 floors, there are 8 or 10 lanes on the bottom floor exit as well, and I've never seen more than 2 open down there.   And they put in 4 self checkout lanes a few years ago.

I don't think they could restock the shelves fast enough if all those lanes were open and busy, the store just isn't that big, it was an old Strawbridge & Clothier store (similar to Macy's).

Checkout lanes get tired and need days off too, you inhuman monster.

They don't do a good job rotating them, I never see lanes 8-18 open, those have the good life.  :cheers:  The lanes nearest the exit must be so jealous.   

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 581
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #19681 on: December 19, 2018, 08:25:17 PM »
I just go straight for the self-checkouts. Even if I have like 15-30 items it's still WAY faster than sitting behind that one person who has 350 items in their damn cart. The only drawback is if you want to buy a movie that's in one of the security cases you'll need to ask the person monitoring the self-checkouts to unlock the box. We actually have self-checkouts at both sides of our Wal-mart now so to get in and out is usually pretty easy. Disadvantage though? If you go early in the morning or late at night they shut down the damn self-checkouts. Basis? Because nobody's there to monitor them... then... then FFS hire someone to monitor them!! I know it's 2 in the damn morning but I'd like to not spend the next three hours of my life behind some idiot paying for their groceries with a damn check and taking the run time of your average Jeopardy episode to finish writing it!!!!

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2666
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #19682 on: December 19, 2018, 09:22:41 PM »
I only use self checkout when I have 10 or less, all the places I go the self checkouts have very little space around them, no way to fit a cart full of stuff on the bagging shelf.

I don't think I've seen someone pay with a check at any checkout line in at least 15 years.  I used to always pay cash, when I lived a couple blocks from my bank and I could walk there in a few minutes, since I got the house I have switched to using credit cards everywhere.  I still use cash at Wawa to get a sandwich or salad but I do that way less than I used to (the Wawa was an even shorter walk than the bank).  My ATM card must think I've abandoned it, it rarely gets to come out and play any more.  ;D

Offline The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4515
« Reply #19683 on: December 20, 2018, 08:26:25 PM »

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #19684 on: December 20, 2018, 10:11:36 PM »
Awww... poor fella.  :(

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3212
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #19685 on: December 21, 2018, 08:15:10 PM »
The part of the original "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" where the Grinch complains about all the ways the Whos are going to make noise contains so many great euphemisms for masturbation...

Offline Lesbunny

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 524
  • Bowsette is bae
« Reply #19686 on: December 22, 2018, 10:09:04 AM »
Saw a gentleman carrying a really long pole the other day, so I asked him if he was a pole vaulter. He said he was a German, and asked how I knew his name.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #19687 on: December 22, 2018, 12:09:01 PM »
It might be a good idea to start a thread for really bad jokes...

What do you call a singer who hates bike racks? Burt Bike-a-Rack.

Offline Imrahil

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 7914
« Reply #19688 on: December 22, 2018, 07:11:52 PM »
It might be a good idea to start a thread for really bad jokes...

What do you call a singer who hates bike racks? Burt Bike-a-Rack.

What do you call a store that sells paraphernalia to Harley enthusiasts with packs on their vehicles?   "Biker Rack Brick-a-brack."

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #19689 on: December 22, 2018, 10:42:21 PM »
I guess this means you didn't like my joke that much. Oh well, I tried.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3212
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #19690 on: December 26, 2018, 01:29:22 AM »
A only-slightly-belated Merry Christmas to everyone! And if you get Rifftrax Emails, be sure to check the last one. You have 'til the end of the year to spend a $10 gift card. Enjoy!

Offline Lesbunny

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 524
  • Bowsette is bae
« Reply #19691 on: December 26, 2018, 08:03:34 AM »
I'm not sure if being unable to talk counts as being sick, and so I don't know if I can go into work. My throat is absolutely wrecked and I sound like a frog, but I can't get into the doctor to determine if it's something serious or just a cold.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #19692 on: December 26, 2018, 12:07:54 PM »
Thanks Pak! Well, thanks for letting me know about it otherwise I never would have seen it.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 263
« Reply #19693 on: December 28, 2018, 06:20:33 PM »
2 weeks. That's how long it takes me to grow a beard that while not what I would consider a full beard starts to look like a neatly shaved beard and for me to get past the "god this itches like crazy" phase.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #19694 on: December 29, 2018, 03:08:40 PM »
I've tried growing out my facial hair before but in addition to it being itchy I just don't like what I look like with a beard. I refuse to even grow a mustache.