login

Author Topic: Completely Random Thoughts  (Read 1787415 times)

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4643
Re: Completely Random Thoughts
« Reply #19635 on: October 20, 2018, 08:46:01 PM »
IQ is super racist bullshit.

why bring up monsanto when it has nothing to do with the conversation? that's some godwin's law shit.

I brought up Monsanto as an example of a company that pays to present disinformation to maintain profits.  It was relevant.  [I could have used the oil companies and their MASSIVE multi-million dollar disinformation machine to try to convince people global warming was fake - in order to maintain their own profits - when their own research proved it long before 'regular' scientists tried to wake people up to it.]  In context, since you could not make the connection in what I wrote earlier, I was saying, "companies with massive profits at stake - such as the 'sugar free' industry - will do a LOT to prevent people from learning the truth about the possible health costs of their products.  For just one example, of something I have a link handy for, Monsanto ___"  Is that clearer?

IQ is a measure of what range of experiences or ways of thinking the person has been exposed to.  It does have racial bias (some parts a great deal), but is far from "racist bullshit".  That is YOUR bias.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 09:00:31 PM by LucasM »
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2644
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #19636 on: October 20, 2018, 09:00:35 PM »
IQ testing has a very dark history. 

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3563
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #19637 on: October 20, 2018, 10:17:59 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Mf82FfX-wuU" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Mf82FfX-wuU</a>

This video is HIGHLY questionable and suspect, as there is no-one on the staff of that company that has ANY medical or medical-related degree mentioned in their information section, yet they are giving out medical 'advice'. 

Hahaha.  Aaron Carroll is a very highly respected medical researcher with an MD and an MS in Health Services Research. He's also a regular columnist for the New York Times. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aaron_Carroll

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #19638 on: October 20, 2018, 10:27:08 PM »
IQ is super racist bullshit.

why bring up monsanto when it has nothing to do with the conversation? that's some godwin's law shit.

I brought up Monsanto as an example of a company that pays to present disinformation to maintain profits.  It was relevant.  [I could have used the oil companies and their MASSIVE multi-million dollar disinformation machine to try to convince people global warming was fake - in order to maintain their own profits - when their own research proved it long before 'regular' scientists tried to wake people up to it.]  In context, since you could not make the connection in what I wrote earlier, I was saying, "companies with massive profits at stake - such as the 'sugar free' industry - will do a LOT to prevent people from learning the truth about the possible health costs of their products.  For just one example, of something I have a link handy for, Monsanto ___"  Is that clearer?

IQ is a measure of what range of experiences or ways of thinking the person has been exposed to.  It does have racial bias (some parts a great deal), but is far from "racist bullshit".  That is YOUR bias.

And Healthcare Triage has almost 500 videos with maybe only 4 or 5 of them touching on artificial sweeteners.  So if Big Splenda is funding this, they are wasting a lot of money.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 564
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #19639 on: October 21, 2018, 04:20:31 PM »
Long and short guys, is there anything I CAN drink that could possibly help me in losing weight? If you're wondering why I don't find the answers online for myself, believe me there is a good reason I'm asking you guys and not Google.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2638
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #19640 on: October 21, 2018, 04:29:35 PM »
Long and short guys, is there anything I CAN drink that could possibly help me in losing weight? If you're wondering why I don't find the answers online for myself, believe me there is a good reason I'm asking you guys and not Google.

Water
FINE

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #19641 on: October 21, 2018, 04:39:21 PM »
Water
Well I already drink that, like ALL the time(Sorry, should have already mentioned that), but it doesn't seem to be helping. Maybe I just need to make water the ONLY thing I drink. That's going to take a LOT of self control which frankly I'm not sure I possess(esp with my Mania being so high lately). I just enjoy drinking coffee, tea and diet dr pepper a little too much.

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #19642 on: October 21, 2018, 07:40:15 PM »
Water
Well I already drink that, like ALL the time(Sorry, should have already mentioned that), but it doesn't seem to be helping. Maybe I just need to make water the ONLY thing I drink. That's going to take a LOT of self control which frankly I'm not sure I possess(esp with my Mania being so high lately). I just enjoy drinking coffee, tea and diet dr pepper a little too much.

Set a goal to drink 8 oz. of water each time before you have one of those things. Eventually, you'll be so full of water you won't want anything.

Also, I feel the best guide to eating healthy is to not eliminate anything you like. If you do that, you'll fall off the wagon and eat more than you would have anyway. Just set limits on those things that are unhealthy. Like, "I won't eat ice cream after 7pm" or "I'll only put butter on my popcorn when I'm seeing a marvel movie". Small steps are better than no steps, and you're more likely to make permanent changes with them.

I committed to not drinking regular sodas, and it resulted in a 20 lb decrease after about a year. I also follow certain rules like, "drinking a diet soda counts as a dessert".

Another one that works great for me is to eat 5 servings of fruits or vegetables a day. That apple I eat at about 2pm replaces a snickers I might have had otherwise. And it doesn't feel like a restriction. I just don't crave food as much when I'm full of carrot sticks.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 07:43:22 PM by Kete »

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #19643 on: October 21, 2018, 08:57:16 PM »
I'm kind of depressed by what I heard from one source(sorry, don't remember exactly who it's from). Not sure if it's strictly speaking 100% scientifically accurate but I trust it enough. It's that one of the hardest parts of losing weight is also keeping it off. I think their assertion was that a lot of people would just gain the weight back after a certain period of time.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3179
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #19644 on: October 21, 2018, 09:32:02 PM »
Weight loss is a lifestyle change. Not a battle. Whatever you do to lose weight, you have to keep doing forever. We like to set goals when we lose weight, which is good for motivation right up until you achieve the goal. Then, what should happen is we look back, say that wasn't so bad, and resume the lifestyle change. Instead we say "I did it! Baconater, here I come!" And THAT'S why it's hard to keep it off.

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #19645 on: October 22, 2018, 05:46:14 AM »
We are also tricked into thinking that if you are not thin, then you have a character flaw. You just need to have more will power and be less lazy. But for many people you are asking for the impossible. People's eating habits and genes are just too ingrained. Those people we see on the Biggest Loser are not good or healthy. They are tortured into losing weight in a very unhealthy fashion. Once they lose the weight, they either put it right back on or develop mental problems and eating disorders.

The most weight that a person can have healthy control over is something less than 100 lbs. If someone is more than 100 lbs overweight, the success rate of losing weight and keeping it off is less than 1%. The success rate of having gastric bypass surgery and keeping it off is about 80%. But our society is so stupid that there is a stigma around having the surgery and that it is essentially a cop out. That's just not true.

It also depends on what your goal is. Is it to be healthier, to feel better, or to feel more attractive? If it's to be healthier or feel better, the best first step you can take is to exercise 30 minutes every day. Exercise isn't very effective in helping you lose weight (it doesn't burn that many calories and people tend to eat more after exercise to offset what was burned), but it is the best thing you can do for your health other than quitting smoking.

I should go back through this and add references so you know I'm not just talking out of my ass.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5708
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #19646 on: October 22, 2018, 12:23:27 PM »
Water
What works best for me is to put just a little ReaLemon or ReaLime in 16oz bottle of water.
I also find very cold water to be more satisfying than lukewarm water. So I like to put my bottles of water in the freezer for 20 minutes or so. Not enough for them to freeze completely.

Offline Lesbunny

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 511
  • Bowsette is bae
« Reply #19647 on: October 23, 2018, 07:26:48 PM »
Taken a bit of an interest in poetry. I've been writing poems to help myself process my emotions, and it's been really helpful. If I get frustrated or annoyed, I whip out the journal I've been using and write about it.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #19648 on: October 23, 2018, 07:42:44 PM »
I used to think I had a knack for writing poetry(back in college) but in my mind it takes a special kind of inspiration to make it worth the reader's time. What's ironic is that I hold a BA in English and yet I couldn't write a decent work following iambic pentameter to save my life.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3857
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #19649 on: October 24, 2018, 08:34:01 AM »
So somebody in SC won the $1.6 Billion Lottory last night..
I went in on it with a group at my local post office ($10 dollars each person) and we missed $1 Million by one number :o
We did win $500 split between 20 people which came to $25 dollars each so I'm rolling my winnings over into the next Power Ball drawing 8)