login

Author Topic: Completely Random Thoughts  (Read 1809261 times)

Offline anais.butterfly

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1382
  • Monkey Brains!
Re: Completely Random Thoughts
« Reply #9990 on: January 30, 2014, 05:24:45 AM »
Okay so I'm not a big Star Trek fan but from what I've seen the planet Vulcan is basically a Tantooine-ish desert and they all live in caves or underground, right?

In that case how is staying there even slightly 'logical'?  If your planet is a barren shithole you can't easily live on surely the logical thing would be to go something with nicer or easier living conditions.

Where are you getting that impression from? I think the only time I saw Vulcan was in Star Trek 1....and that was during a special ceremony, so I wouldn't base my judgment on it.

Regardless, however, I don't think their planet being mostly, or even partially desert should negate their societies ideologies. In fact, the plant itself might have been the inspiration. The philosophy behind the Vulcan desire for logic over emotion could have developed from trying to survive in barren conditions. Take the emotion out of survival and perhaps it was easier.

I fucking love Star Trek.
Anais is the Coolest Butterfly I know  ;D

Quantum Vagina

« Reply #9991 on: January 30, 2014, 05:31:27 AM »
Well, if the planet is entirely desert, logic would dictate living in a space that is habitable, underground. Its a much more practical thing than an entire planetary migration. The logistics of that would be a nightmare.

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6870
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #9992 on: January 30, 2014, 05:33:22 AM »
Where are you getting that impression from?

there's at least an episode set on vulcan in each of the animated series and enterprise. and, yeah, they lucas-ified it to a desert planet.
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3900
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #9993 on: January 30, 2014, 05:47:41 AM »
All I wanna know is When The Hell are they gonna release Season 6 of Star Trek The Next Generation on Bluray?!
 :angry:

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #9994 on: January 30, 2014, 06:06:02 AM »
Okay so I'm not a big Star Trek fan but from what I've seen the planet Vulcan is basically a Tantooine-ish desert and they all live in caves or underground, right?

In that case how is staying there even slightly 'logical'?  If your planet is a barren shithole you can't easily live on surely the logical thing would be to go something with nicer or easier living conditions.

Where are you getting that impression from? I think the only time I saw Vulcan was in Star Trek 1....and that was during a special ceremony, so I wouldn't base my judgment on it.

That, Enterprise and the first JJ movie. 

Surely attachment to a barely livable planet (or home) is based on anything but logic, it's nostalgia and tradition both of which defy logic.  It's just a thought I had, I'm not writing a thesis or anything, it just seems weird.
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
« Reply #9995 on: January 30, 2014, 06:25:06 AM »

there's at least an episode set on vulcan in each of the animated series and enterprise. and, yeah, they lucas-ified it to a desert planet.

Nope. It was a desert planet in Amok Time.  McCoy says "Hot as Vulcan, now I understand what that means."

what do you mean "nope"? ???
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #9996 on: January 30, 2014, 06:32:28 AM »

Nope. It was a desert planet in Amok Time.  McCoy says "Hot as Vulcan, now I understand what that means."

It's kinda like "Eh?" in Canada but with the opposite direction :P

Offline The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4515
« Reply #9997 on: January 30, 2014, 06:46:27 AM »

I think he's referring to the second part of your statement.

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
« Reply #9998 on: January 30, 2014, 06:58:20 AM »
i still don't understand. to quote robot chicken: "what kind of cruel god would make an entire planet defined by one topographical feature? why, that would be as ridiculous as a whole world made of ice, lava or forest."
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #9999 on: January 30, 2014, 06:58:58 AM »
I still don't get what 'Lucas-ified' means.
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #10000 on: January 30, 2014, 07:03:11 AM »
Tatooine'd Planet Vulcan maybe ???

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2386
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #10001 on: January 30, 2014, 07:12:51 AM »

You also see it at the end of Star Trek III and begining of Star Trek IV, and it looks the same.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline Nobody

• Liked: 617
« Reply #10002 on: January 30, 2014, 07:21:02 AM »
I've never heard the term, but I like it.  It's a reference to how the Star Wars movies have planets with only one geographical feature.

How can Endor or Kashyyk be entirely forest?  What about the polar areas?  Wouldn't they be too cold? And what about oceans?  You need a lot of water to keep,that much forest thriving, so large areas of water for evaporation and rain creation would be required.

Hoth is remotely possible as an entirely frozen planet, especially if it was once earth-like but it's star is burning out, but all other planets, including Corruscant, are amazingly improbable.  Naboo, has multiple geographical features, and is a semi realistic planet, if we ignore the bulbous cow-aardvarks that Anakin was "riding".

Offline Nobody

• Liked: 617
« Reply #10003 on: January 30, 2014, 07:45:12 AM »
There are planets without any geographical differentiation that we can actually observe, but not ones that can support life of the type that Earth does (complex creatures, plants, etc.)

That's a lot different from the Star Wars planets, which are capable of supporting human life.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #10004 on: January 30, 2014, 07:54:34 AM »
Since Tatooine was essentially inspired by Arrakis I think we can assume that it is actually quite similar to that particular spice producing world (minus the worms and the spice):

It has a polar region in which water accumulation occurs and water is to be found beneath the surface, far beneath the surface, but a detailed discussion of the Biome distribution of various planets within the Star Wars universe aren't really allowed for in the narratives.