login

Author Topic: Completely Random Thoughts  (Read 1804305 times)

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3894
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
Re: Completely Random Thoughts
« Reply #9420 on: November 25, 2013, 07:33:22 AM »
I think I should watch every episode of MST3K from the beginning again. It's been a long time and I've watched the crap out of all the Rifftrax and CT riffs.
Ditto! I think I'll do that next year 8)

Offline Nobody

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 617
« Reply #9421 on: November 25, 2013, 07:46:10 AM »
I found the riffs to be sparse in the beginning of the show's run.  Especially in "The Crawling Eye", the guys went through long chunks of the movie without commenting.

Honestly, I think Kevin's coming in as Servo improved the show a ton.  (Sorry Josh...)

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5896
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #9422 on: November 25, 2013, 09:19:24 AM »
I found the riffs to be sparse in the beginning of the show's run.  Especially in "The Crawling Eye", the guys went through long chunks of the movie without commenting.

Honestly, I think Kevin's coming in as Servo improved the show a ton.  (Sorry Josh...)
I'm sure Josh would probably agree with you on that one.

The earliest episodes are pretty insufferable. It's interesting to see from a fan stanpoint where they developed their technique, but it's like a "making of" DVD extra that you only ever watch once.
And Joel is at his...Joel-est. Sleepy eyes and absolutely turgid delivery. I can't beleive he was a standup comedian and actually had a career on stage prior to this. Fortunately they quickly figure to put the bots front and center in the host segments, which helps a lot.

UncleDesmond

« Reply #9423 on: November 25, 2013, 10:10:46 AM »
The earliest episodes are pretty insufferable. It's interesting to see from a fan stanpoint where they developed their technique, but it's like a "making of" DVD extra that you only ever watch once.

Totally with you on that. Once they dumped "J Elvis Weinstein", things got a lot better.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #9424 on: November 25, 2013, 10:34:54 AM »
Saw this today:

And it really ticks me off. I have a condition like Dyslexia and the issues that it caused me were not based on how society perceived me, they were based on the fact that I had unusual neuro-cognative functioning and it was genuine problem.

Being told I was special and shite like that didn't help alleviate the issues, I wasn't some fecking wonder child who was just to special to function, occupational and other therapies did.

I realize that whoever creates crap like this is well intentioned but it's just patronizing bollocks.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5896
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #9425 on: November 25, 2013, 12:13:24 PM »
I think Josh would have gotten better as they went along,  as they all did. He's certainly good now in Cinematic Titanic.

Online Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3204
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #9426 on: November 25, 2013, 12:19:57 PM »
I think Josh's departure was more correlation than causation. As I understand it, the second season was also when they really started to hammer out a script-writing process and get a larger writing staff. The show getting better probably had a lot to do with that.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4662
« Reply #9427 on: November 25, 2013, 02:08:21 PM »
Saw this today:

And it really ticks me off. I have a condition like Dyslexia and the issues that it caused me were not based on how society perceived me, they were based on the fact that I had unusual neuro-cognative functioning and it was genuine problem.

Being told I was special and shite like that didn't help alleviate the issues, I wasn't some fecking wonder child who was just to special to function, occupational and other therapies did.

I realize that whoever creates crap like this is well intentioned but it's just patronizing bollocks.

Agreed.  And to reframe actual learning difficulties in this way does one very damaging thing: it 'excuses' educators from actually working with and treating these difficulties.  It also makes those with dyslexia (and similar) difficulties feel that if they are struggling that it is something wrong with them for not feeling like they are exhibiting "multi-dimensional freethinking" [to use the truly meaningless term above].

Just as with high IQ doesn't necessarily come high functioning, learning disabilities such as dyslexia don't necessarily impair the capacity to learn.  They do, however, impair the means by which learning can most easily take place.  They also make it more difficult to demonstrate intelligence and learning if such perceptive problems are not addressed.  And that is just it: from my understanding (it was not a specialty area of mine) dyslexia and such are generally a problem with perception and the ability to easily take in information in the typical ways others do.  Dyslexia is not usually a problem with 'thinking' (information processing) per se.
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4662
« Reply #9428 on: November 25, 2013, 02:49:27 PM »
Famous Movie Quotes
  Subsection: Head-Injured History

"Uhhh...   Am... am I Spartacus?"
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline d00hickey

• Liked: 478
  • Rohan Stan the Jelly Man
« Reply #9429 on: November 25, 2013, 03:37:19 PM »
Saw this today:

Your neuro-cognative function issue is not the problem, taking something seriously that some dip-shit put on the internet is the problem. 

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2657
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #9430 on: November 25, 2013, 04:02:19 PM »
Thinking maybe it was something just made up I went searching, check out the crapola on this site:

http://www.dyslexia.tv/freethinkersu/

Offline Lembach

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 8272
  • Hormel Batch Master
« Reply #9431 on: November 25, 2013, 07:49:57 PM »
Sure I love the rain.  But it loses a lot of charm when it's windy and 36 degrees.

Do you like Pina Coladas?

Offline Lembach

• Ephialtes
  • Hormel Batch Master
« Reply #9432 on: November 25, 2013, 07:51:09 PM »

Totally with you on that. Once they dumped "J Elvis Weinstein", things got a lot better.

Which is odd because he is/was hilarious on Cinematic Titanic.

Offline Nobody

• Liked: 617
« Reply #9433 on: November 25, 2013, 07:52:37 PM »
Sure I love the rain.  But it loses a lot of charm when it's windy and 36 degrees.

For the last time, I will not go with you and escape.

Offline Lembach

• Ephialtes
  • Hormel Batch Master
« Reply #9434 on: November 25, 2013, 07:54:45 PM »

For the last time, I will not go with you and escape.

Oh come on! I'm not into yoga, and I have at least half a brain.