Author Topic: Completely Random Thoughts  (Read 1805518 times)

Offline d00hickey

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 478
  • Rohan Stan the Jelly Man
Re: Completely Random Thoughts
« Reply #8775 on: October 03, 2013, 09:12:27 PM »
I don't believe in marriage. Some companionship's expire some don't adding all the legal stuff seems to just complicate the matter.

Quantum Vagina

« Reply #8776 on: October 03, 2013, 09:24:23 PM »
Call me an idealist, but I don't think marriage is a bad thing, provided it's a happy one. Wasn't it Louis CK that said that no happy marriage has ended in divorce?

In other news, I've been told that I'm most definitely an "E".
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 09:26:02 PM by Quantum Vagina »

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2383
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #8777 on: October 03, 2013, 09:48:36 PM »
Just start saying random names in your head, one might click.  A book might help with that, don't get bogged down with meanings, if it sounds right when you say it that is the one.

As a secondary thought maybe think of nicknames that could be made from the name, so you can pick a long one and shorten it, like Cassandra (Cassy).
How about Penny?
Thinking through the alphabet, here's a list of letters I came up with that I'm alright with. I love narrowing things down. :D

A,,B,C,E,J,L,M,P,S, and T.

I'm shying away from C, like I said before, but I'm hesitant, because almost anything else sounds really different, which isn't a BAD thing, but eh... What we need is a name store, that's like a shoe store, where you can go in and try them on.
Get a baby book (like someone already suggested) and look in the mirror and read each name out and repeat it a few times and see if that fits your self-image.

I'll try that sometime, I guess. It seems like a good idea.

There's plenty of baby name websites you can try too.  If I'm trying to write something and can't think of a name for a character off the top of my head I'll sometimes just go to one of them and click around for awhile until things start to sound good.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Quantum Vagina

« Reply #8778 on: October 03, 2013, 10:50:55 PM »
I've been browsing websites for about 4 hours trying to find something. I've come up with a list of some names I like, but I've also seen a lot of weird ones, too. I thought it was kind of funny seeing Seven on there. Someone apparently watches a lot of Seinfeld. Then there was Szechuan, and Sine. I just think some people shouldn't be allowed to name children. Or at least have significant others who say NO.

The list, is a work in progress, but if you're interested, and who're we kidding, you are, here it is.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Some of them, I have no idea why I put them on there. Some of them I just like the sound of. No idea. This is hard.  >:(

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2657
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #8779 on: October 03, 2013, 11:57:17 PM »
Just a thought to get your mind to help you pick:

Try real hard to randomly pick names from the list, if you keep thinking of one more than the others it might be the one you like best.  If none come to mind faster than any others maybe you need to keep searching.

Quantum Vagina

« Reply #8780 on: October 04, 2013, 12:07:07 AM »
Well, I'm going to narrow it down, and then I'm going to ask some friends for their input. The list is also in progress. I just looked at some of the letters I was told suited me.

Offline Thrifty Version II

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 556
  • Now with 30% Less Fat!
« Reply #8781 on: October 04, 2013, 04:08:23 AM »
From what I've seen marriage ruins sex.  For example, my friend Tonya has been married twice.  She lived with the first guy 3 years, they divorced a bit over a year later.  She's been with husband number two 9 years.  They married this year and are having major problems.

Marriage blows.
Just because marriage doesn't work for some people doesn't mean that it's bad for every person on Earth.  I hate this generalization.  My parents have been happily married for almost 45 years.  The idea that marriage ruins a relationship is just fatalistic.  It's saying "I'm positive this relationship is going to fail, so I'm not going to commit to it in any iron clad way."

I'll grant that maybe for some people, marriage has this odd relationship ruining effect.  It sounds as though that could be the case with your friend Tonya.  I don't really understand it.  Maybe the marriage act flips a psychological switch in their brain and tells them "this is it.  this is forever", and they freak out and feel trapped.  The point is that this is just her personally and not a valid indictment of marriage itself. 

The thing is that it could cut the other way.  I don't think I could stay with a woman who told me "I don't want to get married; I don't believe in marriage.  Can't we just live together in a monogamous relationship for the rest of our lives?"  I wouldn't be cool with that.  I'd feel like the woman didn't sincerely want to stay together and just wanted to keep an easy escape hatch open because she didn't believe in the relationship.  I just can't see an advantage to a long term monogamous relationship over marriage, except that the prior one is easier to get out of.  And if you prefer a committed relationship because it's easy to get out of... it's not a committed relationship in my opinion.

There's also the ever present question "Oh we love each other, why do we need a document to prove it?"  I always say "If you love each other, why is a document proving it such a big deal?"  It's like.... I know I was born, so why do I need a birth certificate?  Well getting a birth certificate is not difficult.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #8782 on: October 04, 2013, 05:02:50 AM »
I love being married. True I'm married to an adult version of Wednesday Addams, which is pretty much what I go for. :)

Offline Thrifty Version II

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 556
  • Now with 30% Less Fat!
« Reply #8783 on: October 04, 2013, 07:36:01 AM »
Well, I'm going to narrow it down, and then I'm going to ask some friends for their input. The list is also in progress. I just looked at some of the letters I was told suited me.
I've always been satisfied with my name.  It bothers me that it's so common, so it can be confusing (5 people in my 9th grade math class all had the same name).  I've never had to change my name, but I have had to name fictional characters for role playing games and such.  One thing I always found was that more choices always makes the process worse.

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3569
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #8784 on: October 04, 2013, 07:43:51 AM »
I really like being married, and I really like my wife.  I knew she was the one when I introduced her to MST3K and she liked it.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #8785 on: October 04, 2013, 07:48:11 AM »
I don't think we're having kids but should that change lil tripe is likely to end up with Mycroft or Aleister or Camille (although it'll probably be a non French version that doesn't look so like a girl's name) or something like that if it's a boy. And girls names are likely to follow suit. I actually love the name (and character) Circe, but people wouldn't hear it as the enchantress so much as an incestuous twin sister and terrible mother perhaps. I like Calypso too but also possibly not a good choice.

Offline anais.butterfly

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1382
  • Monkey Brains!
« Reply #8786 on: October 04, 2013, 08:20:11 AM »
Just start saying random names in your head, one might click.  A book might help with that, don't get bogged down with meanings, if it sounds right when you say it that is the one.

As a secondary thought maybe think of nicknames that could be made from the name, so you can pick a long one and shorten it, like Cassandra (Cassy).
How about Penny?
Thinking through the alphabet, here's a list of letters I came up with that I'm alright with. I love narrowing things down. :D

A,,B,C,E,J,L,M,P,S, and T.

I'm shying away from C, like I said before, but I'm hesitant, because almost anything else sounds really different, which isn't a BAD thing, but eh... What we need is a name store, that's like a shoe store, where you can go in and try them on.
Get a baby book (like someone already suggested) and look in the mirror and read each name out and repeat it a few times and see if that fits your self-image.

I'll try that sometime, I guess. It seems like a good idea.

I like the name Andrea. It does happen to be my name, but here I am known by Anais, so it's cool. Also, the named implies "woman" and "strength," if I recall correctly.

Also, there are NOT that many Andreas in these United States. So it's somewhat unique.

Just a suggesstion :)
Anais is the Coolest Butterfly I know  ;D

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2657
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #8787 on: October 04, 2013, 08:51:19 AM »
Also, there are NOT that many Andreas in these United States. So it's somewhat unique.

It is pretty rare, I knew one when when I was a kid, but since then I can only think of one other Andrea I've met.

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3569
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #8788 on: October 04, 2013, 09:51:46 AM »
I like Emily, Erin, Aubrey, Alison

Quantum Vagina

« Reply #8789 on: October 04, 2013, 09:53:50 AM »

It is pretty rare, I knew one when when I was a kid, but since then I can only think of one other Andrea I've met.
I think I've known a couple. It's a nice name, but I'm not sure it's me.