login

Author Topic: Completely Random Thoughts  (Read 1807984 times)

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
Re: Completely Random Thoughts
« Reply #8220 on: August 26, 2013, 12:22:50 PM »
The humpty dance is your chance to do the hump
Opticians are easy on the eyes

Offline MSTJedi

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 604
  • In a not too distant future far, far away. . . .
    • Facebook
« Reply #8221 on: August 26, 2013, 12:32:48 PM »
The humpty dance is your chance to do the hump

Damn you.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2666
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #8222 on: August 26, 2013, 12:45:37 PM »
It's kind of nice to see this place alive and hopping again.  There were some students during the summer session, but not nearly as many, and the past 3 weeks has been virtually empty because there were no classes at all during semester break.

I'd say the same here except for the parking lots and streets being filled up, first month of the semester I usually have to drive around for a long time hunting for a spot or someone leaving.  Working until 6 or later means I come in when there are the most people in class....

Offline Thrifty Version II

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 556
  • Now with 30% Less Fat!
« Reply #8223 on: August 26, 2013, 12:52:40 PM »
It's kind of nice to see this place alive and hopping again.  There were some students during the summer session, but not nearly as many, and the past 3 weeks has been virtually empty because there were no classes at all during semester break.

I'd say the same here except for the parking lots and streets being filled up, first month of the semester I usually have to drive around for a long time hunting for a spot or someone leaving.  Working until 6 or later means I come in when there are the most people in class....
That's pretty much the case around here, except I park at a park and ride 15 miles away and take the bus (which drops me off right in front of the school) to get here.  Next Thursday and the 6 Thursdays after that I'll have long days involving class here from 11:00 to 1:30, then class at Wilmington University from 5:30 to 10:30.  Can't take the bus for evening classes, can't park here during the day.  I'm working on a strategy for that, but I'll probably just park at Wilmington University in the morning, take the bus here, take it back there in the evening, and drive home after class.

• Big Montana
  • Now with 30% Less Fat!
« Reply #8224 on: August 26, 2013, 12:54:08 PM »
An upcoming class on Project Management requires me to read 2 chapters a week out of the textbook.  They're long chapters too; at least 40 pages each.  I've read 3 chapters so far, and the class doesn't start until next Thursday.  Yet... strangely... I feel behind.

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3569
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #8225 on: August 26, 2013, 01:53:54 PM »
An upcoming class on Project Management requires me to read 2 chapters a week out of the textbook.  They're long chapters too; at least 40 pages each.  I've read 3 chapters so far, and the class doesn't start until next Thursday.  Yet... strangely... I feel behind.

I hate classes like that.  The professor thinks that their class is the only one that matters, and it's always a class that you really don't give a crap about.  If so much of the class is just reading stuff, why the heck do we even need the professor at all?

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6870
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #8226 on: August 26, 2013, 02:34:25 PM »
You think 80 pages a week is a lot of reading?

depends on the field. a math or physics course may only have twenty pages of reading in a week, but to go through and understand the derivations adds dozens more written pages.
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3569
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #8227 on: August 26, 2013, 02:39:12 PM »

Of a textbook, yes.

UncleDesmond

« Reply #8228 on: August 26, 2013, 02:54:09 PM »
If 6 DID turn out to be 9, Hendrix may be cool with it, but there'd still be quite a few other people pissed off.

• Big Montana
  • Now with 30% Less Fat!
« Reply #8229 on: August 26, 2013, 04:33:05 PM »

Of a textbook, yes.
If it's dull material, yeah.  Especially when you need to re-read sections, and take notes, to make sure you understand it and pick up the important points.  If it's a good novel, I can cruise through that like it's nothing.

It's all about perception and what you find interesting.  I can spend 8 solid hours doing math problems or programming and it feels like nothing.  But give me 40 pages on business, or economics, or project management, and it's like pulling teeth.  I know guys who struggle with algebra and trigonometry.  I breeze right through it and enjoy the process.

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6870
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #8230 on: August 26, 2013, 05:01:52 PM »
I generally find that textbooks are written in a sort of "dumbed down" way and have subsections and charts and pictures and stuff.

you're thinking of first-year intro texts.
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline Lembach

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 8272
  • Hormel Batch Master
« Reply #8231 on: August 27, 2013, 03:49:36 PM »
I can be getting into sexytime with pr0n, and seeing a tramp stamp will totally kill it.

jasimon1

« Reply #8232 on: August 28, 2013, 09:06:57 AM »
I just found out there are apps to listen to police scanners. I've found my new obsession.

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
« Reply #8233 on: August 28, 2013, 02:22:27 PM »
When I was a kid my grandfather had two TV channels.  He would watch sports, news, old reruns.  Or listen to his police scanner.

I hated staying there.  It was boring as hell.
Opticians are easy on the eyes

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2386
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #8234 on: August 28, 2013, 02:58:23 PM »
I could post just about any random line from the podcast "Welcome to Nightvale" in this thread, and it would fit right in.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky