Author Topic: Completely Random Thoughts  (Read 1806103 times)

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2649
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
Re: Completely Random Thoughts
« Reply #6855 on: January 10, 2013, 09:33:16 PM »
From my FB and Twitter feeds the annual surprise/anger over the Oscar nominations seems more subdued than usual, I wonder if that means the 10 best picture nominations thing is working.

Well, I think it is pretty surprising that they only nominated 9 pictures this year and The Master didn't get a nomination.
FINE

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5898
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #6856 on: January 10, 2013, 09:38:01 PM »
Nobody's pitching a fit that Dark Knight Rises wasn't nominated.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #6857 on: January 10, 2013, 09:44:29 PM »
From my FB and Twitter feeds the annual surprise/anger over the Oscar nominations seems more subdued than usual, I wonder if that means the 10 best picture nominations thing is working.

Well, I think it is pretty surprising that they only nominated 9 pictures this year and The Master didn't get a nomination.

Did they? I haven't looked at the nominees yet.  I heard lots of negative things about it though, wasn't interested myself.
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Lembach

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 8272
  • Hormel Batch Master
« Reply #6858 on: January 10, 2013, 09:51:59 PM »

Did they? I haven't looked at the nominees yet.  I heard lots of negative things about it though, wasn't interested myself.

Blargh! Negative things!!!

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #6859 on: January 10, 2013, 10:03:04 PM »

You should stop hanging out with Scientologists.
FINE

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4662
« Reply #6860 on: January 11, 2013, 02:51:55 AM »

Wait... the remake of 'Manos: the Hands of Fate' didn't get nominated? ;)

Nobody's pitching a fit that Dark Knight Rises wasn't nominated.

With good reason: it was only marginally watchable.
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #6861 on: January 11, 2013, 03:31:08 AM »

Aren't they using some sort of ranked voting system now? It was the same reason, or related to, why they had so few contenders in the best song category last year.

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #6862 on: January 11, 2013, 04:59:05 AM »

Aren't they using some sort of ranked voting system now? It was the same reason, or related to, why they had so few contenders in the best song category last year.

Yeah, they are - I know it wasn't a deliberate 'let's leave this out' and that it just didn't get the votes, and I haven't even seen The Master yet, I am just surprised is all.
FINE

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #6863 on: January 11, 2013, 05:21:55 AM »
Yes I'm surprised at it not showing either; it seemed like the kind of film that (if I'm understanding the system of voting right) if it got an "Eligible" vote, the person voting thus would also rank it high enough to pass the threshold.

And it seemed like a film that would get a fair number of "eligible" votes.

I'd like to see Jennifer Lawrence get the Best Actress award, I really liked her performance in Silver Linings.

From what I've read though, De Niro's turn should mostly be considered in the editing category. ;)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 05:23:26 AM by Tripe H. Redux »

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
« Reply #6864 on: January 11, 2013, 05:59:07 AM »
Normally this would be my cue to say "not me!" but acute prostatitis is a bitch. :(

Yikes. Sounds painful.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #6865 on: January 11, 2013, 06:04:08 AM »
Sort of like how it feels when a kidney stone is on deck to travel the last stretch to freedom at times. Mostly it's just the irksome feeling of everything not being 100%, I have a really high tolerance for pain though so I might not be gauging this the way others would. Have a follow up on the 2nd and hopefully the third antibiotic will be be the charm, the previous two didn't really do much.

Oh and having a procedure next Saturday (as in a week tomorrow) to see if the underlying cause is something gut related which will mean a nice bit of surgery if it is, so that'll be fun, obviously. :)

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
« Reply #6866 on: January 11, 2013, 06:06:23 AM »
Oh god, surgery. Good luck, I will be thinking of you then.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #6867 on: January 11, 2013, 06:13:57 AM »
Eh, probably not, just a possibility. I'm mostly looking forward to seeing the pics of my innards, last time the bugger neglected to keep copies for me (though I wish he'd take a video instead).

Offline bta

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 739
  • Sort this; deliver that; I'll make 'em all pay.
« Reply #6868 on: January 11, 2013, 11:46:13 AM »
Divorce.
\()/ 3~ \()/

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4662
« Reply #6869 on: January 11, 2013, 03:34:58 PM »
It's a bit pricey for just getting rid of coffee smells, but you could try something like this:

[picture is link]
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects