Author Topic: Completely Random Thoughts  (Read 1807296 times)

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2662
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
Re: Completely Random Thoughts
« Reply #6180 on: September 12, 2012, 08:04:16 PM »
  It's an idiotic point to try and make.  Typical vegan bullshit.  Lousy defenseless plant murderers. 

And using chicken was lazy, why not use something most people think tastes really good.  How often do you hear someone say how great plain old chicken is? 

Do they ask that question in Korea or China? 

Offline The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4514
« Reply #6181 on: September 12, 2012, 08:06:42 PM »
Also, chickens aren't usually considered pets.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #6182 on: September 12, 2012, 08:11:59 PM »
That's the point they're making; it also happens to be the counterpoint to their argument,  which is nice and neat and tidy-like. ;)

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2052
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #6183 on: September 12, 2012, 08:14:29 PM »
Harvesting vegetables is not exactly a harmles activity either.  Lots of animals get killed by the harvesting machines.

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #6184 on: September 12, 2012, 08:20:40 PM »
That's the point they're making; it also happens to be the counterpoint to their argument,  which is nice and neat and tidy-like. ;)

I think the best counterpoint would be to say:  My cat eats chicken, why shouldn't I?

Offline MSTJedi

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 604
  • In a not too distant future far, far away. . . .
    • Facebook
« Reply #6185 on: September 12, 2012, 09:49:32 PM »

I think the best counterpoint would be to say:  My cat eats chicken, why shouldn't I?

I'll be honest, if I had to hunt and catch my own food, I doubt I'd eat much meat because I'm such a wuss when it comes to killing animals. Accidentally shot a bird with a BB gun when I was a kid and cried my eyes out. That said, I don't think I'd have too much against killing birds and fish if it came down to survival. It's the mammals that I'd have a problem with. Basically, anything I'd be tempted to make a pet. Or anything that might attempt to eat me.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #6186 on: September 12, 2012, 10:03:58 PM »

I'll be honest, if I had to hunt and catch my own food, I doubt I'd eat much meat because I'm such a wuss when it comes to killing animals. Accidentally shot a bird with a BB gun when I was a kid and cried my eyes out. That said, I don't think I'd have too much against killing birds and fish if it came down to survival. It's the mammals that I'd have a problem with. Basically, anything I'd be tempted to make a pet. Or anything that might attempt to eat me.

If you had grown up somewhere that you had to catch and eat your own food, chances of you becoming a wuss would be greatly diminished.  Or at least living long enough to realize you were a wuss would be quite low.  Being a wuss is a luxury people that live hand to mouth can't afford.

Also, I'd say if anything tried to eat me and I managed to kill it, it's on the dinner table.  Not pet worthy.   ;D

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #6187 on: September 12, 2012, 10:15:49 PM »
  It's an idiotic point to try and make.

Why?

Because taste has nothing to do with it.  I really love the taste of lobster, if cats, or dogs, or horses tasted like lobster I still wouldn't eat them.  If chicken tasted like lobster I'd be eating more chicken.  So it's a stupid question.

Offline MSTJedi

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 604
  • In a not too distant future far, far away. . . .
    • Facebook
« Reply #6188 on: September 12, 2012, 10:21:18 PM »
Also, I'd say if anything tried to eat me and I managed to kill it, it's on the dinner table.  Not pet worthy.   ;D

I thought about that after I posted it. About the only time I'd have no regrets about killing is in self defense. And since I'm not one to waste, I'm sure if I was in a survival situation, that thing would be next on the menu.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #6189 on: September 13, 2012, 05:49:31 AM »

Well, that's a good general counter certainly but their specific argument is "you have  different classes of animals; some are food, some are pets" to which the response is "yes, we have different classes of animals; some are food, some are pets".

Having eaten Fox though, I'd not want to eat cat anyway; the meat of predators tastes nasty.

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6870
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #6190 on: September 13, 2012, 07:15:41 AM »
I think it's good to make people actually think about what they're eating and where it comes from.

the grocery store. bam! next question.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #6191 on: September 13, 2012, 09:55:15 AM »
  It's an idiotic point to try and make.

Why?

Because taste has nothing to do with it.  I really love the taste of lobster, if cats, or dogs, or horses tasted like lobster I still wouldn't eat them.  If chicken tasted like lobster I'd be eating more chicken.  So it's a stupid question.

But that isn't the point. The point is:
"It's okay to eat one animal, and treat another animal like a family member. Isn't that kind of contradictory?"  I think it's good to make people actually think about what they're eating and where it comes from.

But the way they ask the question doesn't do that, it leads to being dismissed too easily.  The bad photoshop doesn't help either.  It instead screams of someone trying to be clever and or pompous.

Also, not all animals are the same.  And if they make the argument that all animals are in fact the same then why differentiate them from plants?  If all animals are the same why not all living things everywhere?

As I've said before, to live you have to eat, everyone decides what type of life they are going eat in order to survive.  Granted, some people don't put any thought into it, maybe most don't, but if you are going to try and convince others that your idea of what to eat is a better one at least put up an argument that isn't easily dismissed.

They should stick to talking about living conditions of certain mass produced livestock, that's their best argument.

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2052
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #6192 on: September 13, 2012, 09:56:55 AM »
Am I the only one hoping a crocaduck shows up on their next billboard?

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #6193 on: September 13, 2012, 09:59:00 AM »
I'd like a crocoduck glove puppet but I can seem to convince Folkmanis to make one.

I also need to contact that friend of Beenie's about a Krumpus puppet.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5898
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #6194 on: September 13, 2012, 01:16:17 PM »
I'd like a crocoduck glove puppet but I can seem to convince Folkmanis to make one.
I'm surprised The Asylum hasn't made a Crocoduck movie yet.