login

Author Topic: Completely Random Thoughts  (Read 2010539 times)

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 3188
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
Re: Completely Random Thoughts
« Reply #20400 on: November 28, 2020, 10:47:09 AM »
Got the itch to try and learn piano again...  Been looking at the android apps and some of them look quite good.  Managed to get my android tablet hooked up to my 25 year old midi keyboard and now I am so tempted to upgrade it, there are some really fantastic keyboards now that feel and sound like a real piano for less than $700.  Of course if I follow my old pattern of giving up after a few months I'll have spent that much for nothing....

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 5189
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #20401 on: November 29, 2020, 09:23:55 AM »

Offline eegah

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 456
    • My MST3K Movie Poster Collection
« Reply #20402 on: November 29, 2020, 09:57:58 AM »

I have a t-shirt with that saying on it (except the "change my mind" bit). Unfortunately, my recently-added volume has created tension in the fibers.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #20403 on: November 29, 2020, 04:15:54 PM »
Well, now I did it, spent $700 on a digital piano... 

I already had the stand for my old Casio so at least I didn't have to buy that.  rearranged the disk storage units in my media room to free up space for it.

I got a Roland FP30, it can connect to the tablet using Bluetooth, so I can leave the old tablet on the charger while still connecting to the piano.  It's probably been over 30 years since I touched a real piano but man do these keys feel just like one, and it sounds like a real piano as well.  Now I've got to try out some of the learning apps.  2 of the ones that seem better for adults do have 30 day free trials.  Last time I really got into piano I was using programs on the PC but it was always a pain to set up the keyboard in front of the computer and then take it down, now I have the space to leave it set up and I don't use that tablet for anything so it can stay on the piano permanently.  Forgot how relaxing it was just to sit and play random cords and notes, hopefully this will help with my depression that has been getting worse and worse the last few weeks.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 5068
« Reply #20404 on: December 01, 2020, 07:07:35 PM »
MartyS, CONGRATS!  I hope you enjoy it, and that it helps.  Music does wonders for mood, and playing it helps the brain sync in ways little else can (it syncs deep into those pesky non-verbal areas  ;) ;D ).

[Sadly, I got the nut fixed on it and tried playing my Strat again a few years back, but couldn't sustain it because too much basic life demands were (and still are) vying for my time.  But at least now I have a small guitar amp and an electronic tuning assist available if/when those demands are relieved a bit more.]
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #20405 on: December 01, 2020, 07:43:27 PM »
MartyS, CONGRATS!  I hope you enjoy it, and that it helps.  Music does wonders for mood, and playing it helps the brain sync in ways little else can (it syncs deep into those pesky non-verbal areas  ;) ;D ).

[Sadly, I got the nut fixed on it and tried playing my Strat again a few years back, but couldn't sustain it because too much basic life demands were (and still are) vying for my time.  But at least now I have a small guitar amp and an electronic tuning assist available if/when those demands are relieved a bit more.]

Thanks, I do hope it continues to help, doing all the research and messing around with my old Casio got me through the Thanksgiving holiday.  Hope you get back to playing, I took guitar lessons in the 4th grade but haven't tried again since.

In all the research I did watching videos of people using the various piano learning apps I made a wrong assumption, they were all using tablets so I figured mine would be fine, come to find out they were all using iPads, and only one of the apps I was interested in trying works with android.  :angry:

They all work on PC so I had to come up with a way to get my laptop situated over the piano, thought of attaching a shelf to the wall but these old plaster walls are a pain to get things attached to and bear weight.  So went to Lowe's and got a 3x3 cube storage unit and a 15 inch wide section of shelving to put on top of it.

This should work well:

Now I can finally start, up till now I've only been testing out connections using the nice midi files I have of various piano tunes.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #20406 on: December 14, 2020, 01:55:19 AM »
An opinion without 3.14 is an onion :rimshot:

Offline goflyblind

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 7409
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #20407 on: December 16, 2020, 10:11:11 AM »
internet package tracking is such a double-edged sword. the last update on the website is from four days ago, and i don't know if my package is lost between oklahoma and the border, stuck at the border, or what. presumably, it's fine, but it feels like it's vanished from the face of the earth.
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #20408 on: December 16, 2020, 10:16:06 AM »
internet package tracking is such a double-edged sword. the last update on the website is from four days ago, and i don't know if my package is lost between oklahoma and the border, stuck at the border, or what. presumably, it's fine, but it feels like it's vanished from the face of the earth.
That's been going on a lot lately, especially with USPS..
I've got several packages in transit to buyers and 2 had no scans for 10 days in Charlotte, NC, another for 12 days, 2 that I shipped 4 days ago and just showed up in the system today, and on and on..
I hate to say it but Amazon has been on the ball with their order deliveries.. On time as scheduled so far.

Offline dbsommer

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 118
« Reply #20409 on: December 23, 2020, 11:54:40 PM »
Rich Little's 'A Christmas Carol' is worth watching, especially if you're older (as in saw this back on HBO in '78') since you'll know who the people he's impersonating from your memory. It's on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AdkFdOs-Vs&t=1s
« Last Edit: December 23, 2020, 11:56:48 PM by dbsommer »

Offline Russoguru

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1140
« Reply #20410 on: December 25, 2020, 01:03:13 PM »
Merry Christmas to all my fellow droogies on the Rifftrax forum!
"Russoguru is a naive jackass"
“I have no issues calling you a fucking moron. That's not dehumanizing you.”

Offline Cupcake

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 1231
  • Rebranded from Lesbunny
« Reply #20411 on: December 25, 2020, 05:33:23 PM »
My mom had a stroke last night and is in the hospital right now. Barring any complications, she'll be home tomorrow. Our family has apparently started a tradition of spending Christmas in the hospital. First dad last year, mom this year. If the trend continues, it's my turn next year.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6651
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #20412 on: December 25, 2020, 06:56:52 PM »
My mom had a stroke last night and is in the hospital right now. Barring any complications, she'll be home tomorrow. Our family has apparently started a tradition of spending Christmas in the hospital. First dad last year, mom this year. If the trend continues, it's my turn next year.
I'm sorry to hear that. I wish your family well.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 5068
« Reply #20413 on: December 25, 2020, 07:20:23 PM »

I hope things go smoothly, with minimal after-effects.
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline Cupcake

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 1231
  • Rebranded from Lesbunny
« Reply #20414 on: December 25, 2020, 07:41:11 PM »
Thanks, we caught it really early, since it happened during our family Christmas Eve thing. We were just getting ready to unwrap presents, and noticed she seemed REALLY drunk. After a short while checking her to see if it was like her ambien and the half a mike's hard lemonade she had, we decided to take her to the hospital. At one point, she mistook my dad for my brother, which is crazy, because my dad is literally a third of my brother's size. Barring any complications, she'll release tomorrow morning.