Author Topic: Completely Random Thoughts  (Read 1929985 times)

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4755
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
Re: Completely Random Thoughts
« Reply #20325 on: August 05, 2020, 04:35:41 PM »
Some ableist ass conversation in here tonight.
Not trying to be offensive about her problem, just trying to find the best way(s) of dealing with it..

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 372
« Reply #20326 on: August 05, 2020, 04:37:43 PM »
No one disputing OCD isn't real or difficult for people who have it, but when coupled with the mentality that there is only one way to deal with things and it's my way or else makes it that much more difficult. Know my former coworker eventually decided to seek help, but all help isn't the same and in her case the help she got made things progressively worse. It was heartbreaking to see some of what she went through, but not every job is right for everyone.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #20327 on: August 06, 2020, 01:39:21 AM »
Yeah that's pretty much it. In my case she's sought help in the past but thinks she's got her OCD under control now.. She doesn't. And my patience is wearing out trying to maintain my professionalism working with her..
And I'm venting here because I just need to blow off some steam :grr:
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 01:42:41 AM by RVR II »

Online Lesbunny

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 1044
  • I just kinda want to die all the time
« Reply #20328 on: August 06, 2020, 05:54:01 AM »
Treatment is a privilege, especially in America. Psych appointments and therapy can both run into hundreds of dollars and aren't generally covered by insurance. You don't know everything about her situation or her history, so you don't know where she's at.

I work with adolescents who live with all sorts of mental illnesses. I know how frustrating it can be to be around someone who has trouble with norms, or just chooses to ignore them. My problem is with the language you're using, which is fairly accusatory in nature. I also suggested clear firm boundaries as a way to handle your frustration. Explain what is and isn't ok. Explain that you want to have a professional working relationship, nothing beyond that. Having personal boundaries in relationships is important. Explain how you feel about the situation to her. Not "You do this which makes me feel this," but more I statements. "So I feel like this relationship is pushing the bounds of professionalism here. I am frustrated with [x thing she does], and I would really appreciate it if you could lay off."

I'm not trying to call you out or say you're in the wrong. Obviously there are issues on both ends of the situation. I'm saying have some compassion for someone who isn't neurotypical, and instead of venting frustration on a forum, talk to her and set up clear boundaries of what is and isn't ok in your working relationship.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #20329 on: August 06, 2020, 01:22:51 PM »
No I don't know her whole situation but believe me I am trying to be as patient and understanding as possible. I came so very close to going off on her when she kept insisting on changing that damn light bulb on Saturday that caused me to peal back my big toe nail! Only after showing her the damage done with a bloody sock did she finally back off! I should have gone to the hospital but they are overrun with Covid patience and I can't just waltz into a doctor's office these days without an appointment.
Back to her, I've talked to her very politely about not contacting me the way she has a few times already but it's not sinking in.. I'm out delivering Express Mail this morning when she calls me to tell me of something she needs help with when I get back-again this could have waited till I got back there instead of having me pull over to call her back. Maybe I should have just waited till I got back to see what she wanted instead of calling.. I don't know.
As I said in my original post, she does help me get a lot of things accomplished on a daily basis and we do work well as a team but I'm still working on trying to get her to quit the unnecessary calling & texting in a professional manner which so far is not working :-\

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2475
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #20330 on: August 06, 2020, 01:25:30 PM »
What was Elton John going to do if he was a sculptor before he decided "then again no" mid-song?

You might assume he would sculpt something, but then again seconds later he thought someone making potions in a traveling show was a thing we would know about, so it really could have been anything.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3823
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #20331 on: August 06, 2020, 05:38:49 PM »
And why DO they call it the blues? And what does it have to do with laughing like children, living like lovers, and rolling like thunder under the covers? Elton seems to know, but he doesn't tell us.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #20332 on: August 07, 2020, 04:28:04 PM »
So this happened..
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/bN50VmD53io" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/bN50VmD53io</a>

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 3036
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #20333 on: August 18, 2020, 02:01:16 PM »
Note to all game developers:  If your game needs a 100+GB download before it fully installs and you have the thing play crappy background music at max volume, PUT A MUTE BUTTON ON THE FORKING DOWNLOAD SCREEN!". 

Downloading MS flight sim last night I had to go into windows sound settings and mute the program from there otherwise my PC would have been playing that crappy music for over an hour, and I wanted to do other stuff on the PC so couldn't mute all sounds.   Sure, once the program installed and was running I could go into settings and mute the background music that plays constantly when you are in menus, but couldn't do that while the only screen available was the one that was downloading the program.

Offline linszoid

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 591
« Reply #20334 on: August 20, 2020, 04:09:12 PM »
Whizzo's the Clown's catch-phrase "Now I have this to worry about" should be the motto for the year 2020.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #20335 on: August 21, 2020, 01:33:20 AM »
There are three basic types...:
The Wills, the Won'ts, and the Can'ts. The Wills accomplish everything, the Won'ts oppose everything, and the Can'ts won't try anything.

Offline Russoguru

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1009
  • Thank you, sweet Rabbit!
« Reply #20336 on: August 21, 2020, 09:05:03 AM »
There are three basic types...:
The Wills, the Won'ts, and the Can'ts. The Wills accomplish everything, the Won'ts oppose everything, and the Can'ts won't try anything.
Did you just watch Disney's The Black Hole? That's one of my favorite movies.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #20337 on: August 21, 2020, 10:04:09 AM »
 Yes I did actually  :highfive:

Online Lesbunny

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 1044
  • I just kinda want to die all the time
« Reply #20338 on: August 21, 2020, 10:45:34 AM »
I got a pin from a local business that has "They" on it so I can have a signifier of my pronouns. Hell yeah, friendo.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3823
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #20339 on: August 21, 2020, 12:05:29 PM »
Note to all game developers:  If your game needs a 100+GB download before it fully installs and you have the thing play crappy background music at max volume, PUT A MUTE BUTTON ON THE FORKING DOWNLOAD SCREEN!". 

Downloading MS flight sim last night I had to go into windows sound settings and mute the program from there otherwise my PC would have been playing that crappy music for over an hour, and I wanted to do other stuff on the PC so couldn't mute all sounds.   Sure, once the program installed and was running I could go into settings and mute the background music that plays constantly when you are in menus, but couldn't do that while the only screen available was the one that was downloading the program.

Wow. Waiting an hour while something installs and plays grating music is some old-school PC Gaming stuff. The only way to better replicate the experience would be to have to switch CDs at random intervals.