Author Topic: Completely Random Thoughts  (Read 1915449 times)

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3059
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
Re: Completely Random Thoughts
« Reply #20295 on: June 18, 2020, 03:33:52 PM »
https://www.facebook.com/inthenow/videos/258516312255215

Huh.  I mean I kind of knew that there was some bias in maps of the world, especially old maps.  And I was aware that it doesn't make sense to put the US in the center.  But I had no idea how distorted maps are! 

After watching that video up above, I thought 'Well maybe that's just older printed maps.'  So I went to google maps and zoomed out as far as I could.  And nope, even google maps is super distorted.  If you go back and forth between google maps and google earth the differences are crazy.  Like she said in the video, South America is 9 times bigger than Greenland in reality, but on google maps Greenland appears to be bigger!  Switching over to google earth shows a more accurate depiction. 

I get that part of it is putting a curved surface onto a two dimensional plane, but I don't remember ever being taught just how wrong maps are, and it does make some countries seem much more prominent than they really are.

Some of you probably know this already, maybe everyone does, but my mind is a bit blown right now.

I learned about this through an episode of The Westwing
FINE

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 2977
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #20296 on: June 18, 2020, 05:39:46 PM »
So the people surprised by the distortions in a Mercator projected map have never seen a globe?  Are schools so underfunded now that they don't have any?

There are some other types of projection used for maps that try to put a sphere more accurately onto a flat map but I don't think any of those are useful for navigation.

This reminds me I should get a new one, a bunch of countries have split or changed names in the last 25 years.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #20297 on: June 18, 2020, 05:46:45 PM »
projections are a fun area of mathematics: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_map_projections

I knew there were a bunch of projections, but not that many, there are some crazy looking maps on that page.

Offline Lesbunny

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 909
  • I just kinda want to die all the time
« Reply #20298 on: June 18, 2020, 06:12:48 PM »
So the people surprised by the distortions in a Mercator projected map have never seen a globe?  Are schools so underfunded now that they don't have any?

There are some other types of projection used for maps that try to put a sphere more accurately onto a flat map but I don't think any of those are useful for navigation.

This reminds me I should get a new one, a bunch of countries have split or changed names in the last 25 years.

Most of the classrooms I have been in since being a Para only have maps. I think schools probably get a bulk rate on them, and they're probably cheaper than globes. Anything not fastened to the wall by screws or maybe some of the office equipment is the teachers own property. In fact, I think one of the teachers mentioned that she couldn't replace the globes in her class one day.

Online Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1752
« Reply #20299 on: June 19, 2020, 11:01:18 AM »

I have seen a globe. In fact, I own an an old globe. But I have never looked at a globe and contrasted it to a map.  Geography was always one of my worst subjects, and I’ll admit I’m not terribly observant.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 363
« Reply #20300 on: June 19, 2020, 03:28:52 PM »
Picked up an all natural lighter fluid when I was buying charcoal last week. Using it for the first time tonight. Didn't realize I'd bought a different all natural fluid until I went to use it and the smell hit me. Pretty sure it's pure grain alcohol.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2451
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #20301 on: June 19, 2020, 03:40:13 PM »
The end of Conan the Barbarian and the end of Apocalypse Now are essentially identical.

This thought takes over my brain every few years or so.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2451
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #20302 on: June 25, 2020, 08:02:29 AM »
Rewatched A League of Their Own for the first time in years and noticed a detail that never hit me before, because I didn't pay enough attention to sports.

The league started with only 4 teams.

Part way through the movie the announcer mentions that after their latest victory, Rockford's team was now "in the playoffs."

They had playoffs with only 4 teams? Playoffs for which access needed to be earned with wins?

Who was left out? How?
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #20303 on: June 26, 2020, 07:44:24 PM »
Windows did a major update and my printer still works, didn't have to reinstall it.  It's a freak'n miracle!

Offline Lesbunny

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 909
  • I just kinda want to die all the time
« Reply #20304 on: June 26, 2020, 09:21:16 PM »
If you don't quote Troy and Abed's biblioteca rap in the tone of a Latinx soap opera, have you truly lived?

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1461
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #20305 on: July 02, 2020, 08:11:54 PM »
Does anyone else find it odd that all BLM discussion is under toxic topics? Racism = bad isn't political
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline The Lurker

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 5027
« Reply #20306 on: July 02, 2020, 08:24:13 PM »
Does anyone else find it odd that all BLM discussion is under toxic topics? Racism = bad isn't political
Well it's not like it fits anything else in that area of the forum.

Offline dbsommer

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 92
« Reply #20307 on: July 02, 2020, 08:50:44 PM »
Rewatched 'Into the Night' from '85 with Jeff Goldblum and a young Michelle Pfeiffer in the leads. Honestly I loved this thing, though I can see a lot of people being apathetic about it since the style of the film either draws you in or it doesn't, in which case there isn't a whole lot there for you. Sure, Jeff is Goldbluming like he always does, but it works in this one with the character he's playing. He's just an innocent bystander drawn into something he isn't suited for, and with the whole insomnia thing he's not exactly thinking straight on top of that. Tons of cameos abound and it is a vanity project, but it all works. And I loved Dan Ackroyd's character at the start. The only real complaint I have is the soundtrack doesn't fit the movie. But I'd say it's worth a watch.

Hell, music legends David Bowie and Carl Perkins get into death duel. Where the heck else can you see that one?

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 363
« Reply #20308 on: July 08, 2020, 05:35:29 PM »
Had a yellow pages phone book waiting at the mailbox when I got home today. Been a few years since we've gotten one...probably a decade since I've actually used one. Such a waste. Went straight to recycling bin.

Offline dbsommer

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 92
« Reply #20309 on: July 10, 2020, 10:16:47 AM »
Had a yellow pages phone book waiting at the mailbox when I got home today. Been a few years since we've gotten one...probably a decade since I've actually used one. Such a waste. Went straight to recycling bin.

I still have a landline. I don't like a complete lack of access to hard copies of information so I keep mine, though rarely use them.