Author Topic: Completely Random Thoughts  (Read 1898028 times)

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1387
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
Re: Completely Random Thoughts
« Reply #20130 on: March 08, 2020, 10:10:14 PM »
I think the logic is a lot less is being manufactured because people in China aren't going to work and that's where the majority of toilet paper comes from so people are scared they'll run out
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4444
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #20131 on: March 09, 2020, 03:23:36 AM »
Just invoke the 3 S's: Shit-Shower&Shave.. In that order  :-X

On a local note, spoke to a former History professor of mine last night and he's self-quarantining himself due to possibly being exposed to the Corona virus. There are apparently a few confirmed cases in Camden SC and he said he's had students from there in and out of his office the past couple of weeks..

Since I work for the post office now, I am in constant contact with people and their mail so this is not very reassuring for me :-[
I know you can't get the virus from handling mail and parcels but it's so dirty that your hands and arms can turn shades of black before you get a chance to wash it off :gouge:
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 03:38:11 AM by RVR II »

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 2920
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #20132 on: March 09, 2020, 07:37:02 AM »
Since I work for the post office now, I am in constant contact with people and their mail so this is not very reassuring for me :-[
I know you can't get the virus from handling mail and parcels but it's so dirty that your hands and arms can turn shades of black before you get a chance to wash it off :gouge:

This type of virus doesn't survive being dry, so there is a limited amount of time that it can be transferred on a object. 

When someone hands you the mail or package would be the time it could transfer, or if they cough or sneeze when at the counter. 

If you can still get stuff like purell in your area you should have some to sanitize your hands often, and avoid touching your face.

Conflicting reports on just how bad this is if you catch it, from zero symptoms to deadly.  How many people that get a cold go to the hospital?  Right now the only cases getting tested are people that have it bad enough to go to the hospital, that skews the numbers towards the more deadly side.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #20133 on: March 09, 2020, 09:12:36 AM »
Every day there's someone coming in sounding like they have a cold, flu, or just allergies cause things are already budding here so it's difficult to really tell what they've got  :-\

I'll just hope for the best for now.

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 7129
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #20134 on: March 10, 2020, 09:08:04 AM »
in-person classes have been cancelled until april 14th, conferences/events (both travelling to and having them) cancelled until april 30th. poland is serious business.  :o :scared: :speechless:
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3704
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #20135 on: March 10, 2020, 09:20:16 AM »
Had to go all over town to find distilled water for my CPAP. At one store the Toilet Paper section was completely empty except that it was (amusingly, I thought) stocked with Kleenex. Walgreens was fully stocked with everything because we might be preparing for a doomsday scenario, but we don't wanna overpay.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #20136 on: March 10, 2020, 02:53:17 PM »

Quirk

« Reply #20137 on: March 10, 2020, 04:59:21 PM »
I realized I go through every day hanging on the hope that the internet will collapse and life will feel real again.

Offline Lesbunny

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 783
  • I just kinda want to die all the time
« Reply #20138 on: March 10, 2020, 05:34:50 PM »
One of my students got busted for weed today. Like, I don't care if you smoke. I think it's a stupid thing to get in trouble for. But why come to school so stoned that you literally can't function, and then when they decide to search you after getting a high BP, don't remove the contraband from its place and try to put it in your shoe IN FRONT OF A TEACHER. Smoke on your own time, bucko.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #20139 on: March 11, 2020, 08:27:46 AM »
Got an email from someone flying back from Boston this morning, said the terminals were creepy empty.

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 7129
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #20140 on: March 11, 2020, 08:32:40 AM »
schools, museums, and movie theatres now; the way things are going, the polish government is gonna shut down the airports and train stations by the end of next week. currently up to ~30 confirmed cases over the past week and a half. i hope they don't shut down grocery stores.
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 498
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
« Reply #20141 on: March 11, 2020, 08:38:45 AM »
Got an email from someone flying back from Boston this morning, said the terminals were creepy empty.
Inspired me to look up footage. You're right. It's a bit creepy:
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ec5pm5YHfrc" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ec5pm5YHfrc</a>

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #20142 on: March 11, 2020, 09:18:29 AM »
Went out to dinner last night to the Cracker Barrel here and it was maybe a quarter full. They replaced all their menus, took out the drink cooler at the checkin, the board games were removed, and silverware is wrapped when it used to be set on the tables. :o

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #20143 on: March 11, 2020, 02:34:06 PM »
Where I work they just made the decision to send the students home.  Really messes up seniors that need to complete their research projects to graduate, so no idea what will happen with them.   They are going to switch lectures over to zoom, I'm guessing since every school is switching to that the zoom servers will all crash and burn.  This is so messed up......

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #20144 on: March 11, 2020, 02:48:39 PM »
Where I work they just made the decision to send the students home.  Really messes up seniors that need to complete their research projects to graduate, so no idea what will happen with them.   They are going to switch lectures over to zoom, I'm guessing since every school is switching to that the zoom servers will all crash and burn.  This is so messed up......
Wow that is gonna be a mess!

My local ISP was here troubleshooting my internet speed issues today and replaced my lines from the street, in my attic and directly to the modem.. Even though it seems like I still have internet speed issues, should I need to self quarantine myself then at least I'll now have up to date internet connections :P