Author Topic: Completely Random Thoughts  (Read 1785343 times)

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1537
Re: Completely Random Thoughts
« Reply #19965 on: August 21, 2019, 10:54:05 AM »
Oh wow. The Hyatt Regency I stayed in this weekend didn't offer points or anything. There was just a little note in our room that says, "Tell us if you need fresh towels and linens, but we'll only do it automatically every 3 days to help the environment. They were still offering the rest of the housekeeping package automatically, though.

Yeah, the email mentioned that the towel and linen options do make sense, but you can keep your towels and linens as a completely separate service to the ‘green choice’ program that Marriott is offering.

Offline The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4465
« Reply #19966 on: August 23, 2019, 03:59:22 PM »
*eye twitches*

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 260
« Reply #19967 on: August 24, 2019, 09:51:50 PM »
Came damn close to getting a 4th dog this week. Dropped a donation off at the Humane Society last weekend and immeditately fell in love with an 11 year old lab mix. Very energetic for 11. Don't need or really want a 4th dog, but Fiddo (that was his name) was haunting me. 11 year old dogs are a tough sell for adoption. Went back to see him today and he had been adopted. Mixed feelings. He was a great dog...didm't need a 4th....glad someone adopted him.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 562
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #19968 on: August 25, 2019, 08:54:31 AM »
If we didn't have so many cats I think we'd get a dog in a heartbeat. Lord knows there's plenty of dogs young and old out here that need adopting.

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6861
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #19969 on: September 08, 2019, 01:11:31 PM »
stockholm was really neat! i'm really tired! i'm going to show my sister and brother-in-law around warsaw for two days, then i've got a conference to attend. the back half of september will just be me going uhnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn for all of it.
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3176
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #19970 on: September 12, 2019, 02:45:11 PM »
Subway now prompts me for a tip when I pay for my sandwich and I feel completely unprepared for that decision. For years, my sandwich assembly has been done at no extra cost. Has Subway started paying the Sandwich Artists less now with the expectation that they earn tips? Who gets the tip? The person who puts the meat in the bread? The person who adds the veggies? The cashier? Subway? Is 20% the appropriate amount when that's normally what I pay for someone to bring me meals and take my order while I gab with my wife? Why'd you have to make it weird, Subway?

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3857
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #19971 on: September 12, 2019, 03:24:34 PM »
Subway now prompts me for a tip when I pay for my sandwich and I feel completely unprepared for that decision. For years, my sandwich assembly has been done at no extra cost. Has Subway started paying the Sandwich Artists less now with the expectation that they earn tips? Who gets the tip? The person who puts the meat in the bread? The person who adds the veggies? The cashier? Subway? Is 20% the appropriate amount when that's normally what I pay for someone to bring me meals and take my order while I gab with my wife? Why'd you have to make it weird, Subway?
Jersey Mike's does this and I do 10% because the staff knows me now since I work next door to them ;D

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 383
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
« Reply #19972 on: September 12, 2019, 03:36:20 PM »
Don't do it.

Remember that opening scene in Reservoir Dogs where Mr. Pink/Steve Buscemi explains why he doesn't tip? I used to think he was a jerk. Now that I'm older, I absolutely know what he's talking about and can't believe I ever thought differently. Scene for reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4sbYy0WdGQ

One of the best episodes of the Freakonomics podcast (or any podcast, for that matter) is why tipping should be banned. They did *very* large studies/statistics regarding whether tip reflects good service. It categorically *does not*. And it only hurts people. Here's that ep: http://freakonomics.com/podcast/should-tipping-be-banned-a-new-freakonomics-radio-podcast/
Also, there's a really cool (and short) Adam Ruins Everything video that goes into the history as to why Americans do this and why it should be banned. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_vivC7c_1k

Why don't companies just pay fair wage. There is no job in America that needs tipping. That's why fair wages exist.

Also, tip percentages AREN'T affected by inflation. 17% twenty years ago is actually LESS than 17% now. If people say you should donate 20%, remind them of the fact that inflation is keeping your 17% in check.

Also, do NOT donate charity to any cashier that asks you too. Even if it's to "save the children." Unless you're familiar with the charity. Many of these are SCAMS! Check out the names of Charity Navigator's worst offenders:

Those low numbers on the left are how much they spend on the cause and the high numbers on the right are how much they spend on the company, salaries, etc.

Do NOT feel bad saying "No." And if you want to make it easier, just ask some general questions like how much do they donate to the cause vs. how much they spend on salaries. When they say, "I don't know," then you can say "Then it's probably best that I don't."

« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 03:48:10 PM by stansimpson »

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6861
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #19973 on: September 13, 2019, 11:38:39 AM »
Remember that opening scene in Reservoir Dogs where Mr. Pink/Steve Buscemi explains why he doesn't tip? I used to think he was a jerk. Now that I'm older, I absolutely know what he's talking about and can't believe I ever thought differently.

oh, fuck off. pay a tip while at the same time fight your politicians and business owners who've allowed shitty minimum wage laws to happen. don't starve waitstaff just to feel righteous.
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 562
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #19974 on: September 14, 2019, 05:00:43 AM »
I always tip at a restaurant/diner. Usually though I reserve that for places where somebody actually has to bring me drinks and food all the way from one side of the restaurant to the other to my table(Chili's, Applebee's, Weck's, Red Lobster, Outback steakhouse, Denny's, Village Inn, Twin Peaks, Hooters, etc). Don't get me wrong though, I would have no objection to a place raising their prices in order to pay for an employee's tips. Sometimes however it's kind of impractical. I mean if I'm going to a place like Panda Express or Jack in the Box, a quick tip calculation would find the tip being under a dollar, and sometimes I just don't have the change for that. Also, those places never have a tip jar so I have zero incentive to leave any kind of tip.

Tell me if this sounds stupid... judging a person based solely on their looks is just as ridiculous as the practice of phrenology.

Offline dbsommer

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 55
« Reply #19975 on: September 14, 2019, 01:48:58 PM »
Snowman. I don't know why it popped into my head. It was a completely random thought.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #19976 on: September 14, 2019, 06:34:51 PM »

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...