Author Topic: Completely Random Thoughts  (Read 1785547 times)

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2640
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
Re: Completely Random Thoughts
« Reply #19950 on: July 23, 2019, 12:53:18 PM »
My condolences for your loss LucasM.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4641
« Reply #19951 on: July 23, 2019, 01:30:35 PM »
Thank you, Darth Geek, Lesbunny, and MartyS.  It is appreciated.
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 562
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #19952 on: July 23, 2019, 04:24:30 PM »
I am so, so sorry Lucas.  :'( My heart goes out to you brother.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #19953 on: July 23, 2019, 04:49:42 PM »
Very sorry Lucas.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #19954 on: July 23, 2019, 06:12:56 PM »
Thank you very much Russoguru and Variety of Cells.  I appreciate it.
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #19955 on: July 27, 2019, 02:47:47 PM »
I'm not sure why this bothers me as much as it does.  But when people are discussing the cannabinoids in cannabis, they say that THC "is the psychoactive part" and CBD is "not psychoactive".

Wikipedia definition for psychoactive drug: "a chemical substance that changes brain function and results in alterations in perception, mood, consciousness, cognition, or behavior."

CBD is calming.  It is used in place of benzodiazepines for anxiety states (such as PTSD).  It is (at doses of as little as 10-15mg) a soporific.  It also adjusts the brain so that seizure activity is reduced or eliminated.  Now I don't know about the rest of humanity, but with my neuropsych background: those are psychoactive effects because they 'change brain function and alter perception, consciousness, cognition'.

If they said that THC has euphoric effects, and CBD did not, I'd be fine with that.  But CBD IS psychoactive.  Reducing seizure activity is a "change in brain function".  Calming and sedation are "alterations in perception, mood, consciousness, cognition, or behavior."

Like I said: it ticks me off (enough to write about it).

Don't even get me started on the ignorant people who say that "CBD is the medicinal part" and that "THC is the recreational part" of cannabis.  They BOTH have medicinal/health-promoting effects... as a matter of fact, it is THC that directly reduces pain; CBD reduces pain only by reducing inflammation.  It is THC that KILLS cancer cells (by inducing apoptosis), where CBD only prevents the spread of cancer cells.

And, seriously: people against cannabis as medicine (especially for kids) say that they don't want people "high" from their treatment.  Are people THAT ignorant of pharmaceuticals to think that a kid on narcotics for pain, or barbiturates for seizures, or benzodiazepines for muscle spasticity aren't stoned out of their fucking minds?

Cannabis is safer than ANY of those pharmaceuticals, and, with many people, FAR more successful in treating the conditions!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 02:49:33 PM by LucasM »

Offline Lesbunny

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 511
  • Bowsette is bae
« Reply #19956 on: July 28, 2019, 05:57:05 AM »
I'm not sure why this bothers me as much as it does.  But when people are discussing the cannabinoids in cannabis, they say that THC "is the psychoactive part" and CBD is "not psychoactive".

Wikipedia definition for psychoactive drug: "a chemical substance that changes brain function and results in alterations in perception, mood, consciousness, cognition, or behavior."

CBD is calming.  It is used in place of benzodiazepines for anxiety states (such as PTSD).  It is (at doses of as little as 10-15mg) a soporific.  It also adjusts the brain so that seizure activity is reduced or eliminated.  Now I don't know about the rest of humanity, but with my neuropsych background: those are psychoactive effects because they 'change brain function and alter perception, consciousness, cognition'.

If they said that THC has euphoric effects, and CBD did not, I'd be fine with that.  But CBD IS psychoactive.  Reducing seizure activity is a "change in brain function".  Calming and sedation are "alterations in perception, mood, consciousness, cognition, or behavior."

Like I said: it ticks me off (enough to write about it).

Don't even get me started on the ignorant people who say that "CBD is the medicinal part" and that "THC is the recreational part" of cannabis.  They BOTH have medicinal/health-promoting effects... as a matter of fact, it is THC that directly reduces pain; CBD reduces pain only by reducing inflammation.  It is THC that KILLS cancer cells (by inducing apoptosis), where CBD only prevents the spread of cancer cells.

And, seriously: people against cannabis as medicine (especially for kids) say that they don't want people "high" from their treatment.  Are people THAT ignorant of pharmaceuticals to think that a kid on narcotics for pain, or barbiturates for seizures, or benzodiazepines for muscle spasticity aren't stoned out of their fucking minds?

Cannabis is safer than ANY of those pharmaceuticals, and, with many people, FAR more successful in treating the conditions!

My mental state has significantly improved since I started smoking weed, I can tell you that. Really helps to unwind after a stressful time at work, or when  I've been dealing with the family's bullshit for a little too long. I also have clonazepam that I take, but I usually try to stay with weed, since it's safer and works better for me than Klonopin, cigs, or alcohol ever have. My mother only doesn't like that I smoke because it's illegal. Not cause it's bad, or wrong, or whatever, but because it's illegal here. If my Reefer Madness era mother can get over the weed hate, so can you mother fucker.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #19957 on: July 28, 2019, 01:11:59 PM »
My mental state has significantly improved since I started smoking weed, I can tell you that. Really helps to unwind after a stressful time at work, or when  I've been dealing with the family's bullshit for a little too long. I also have clonazepam that I take, but I usually try to stay with weed, since it's safer and works better for me than Klonopin, cigs, or alcohol ever have. My mother only doesn't like that I smoke because it's illegal. Not cause it's bad, or wrong, or whatever, but because it's illegal here. If my Reefer Madness era mother can get over the weed hate, so can you mother fucker.

Excellent, Lesbunny!

Yeah, my dad wouldn't even consider it (for his cancer or for his pain) because it is still federally illegal, regardless of him having lived in a medically-legal state, and cannabis showing significant promise for treating/reversing the kind of cancer he had!

For me: in a matter of a year and a half, between hemp CBD (nowhere near as useful/functional as cannabis-derived CBD, as there's less cannabinoids and terpenes in hemp CBD), and more recently, medical cannabis, I have managed to eliminate:
7.5 of the 10mg of Norco I took every 6 hours  (i.e. I still take 2.5mg every 6 hours)
ALL 1200+mg of Neurontin (for seizure activity)
ALL Valium and Klonopin (for PTSD)
ALL muscle relaxers (for back/neck spasms, as well as it giving an extra assist in sleeping more than 30-45 minutes at a time during the night)

And I do NOT spend my days high.  The dose needed for me to do all this is lower than perceptible threshold for the cannabis high, or just barely touching it (which is good, because I don't actually like the cannabis high).  But any high I DO feel is still far less brain-fucking than all those pharmaceuticals (in other words: I can think more clearly than I could with all that in my system).

A sublingual concentrate every six hours (2mg THC and 5mg CBD [extra 5mg CBD at bedtime]), and I'm good.  Plus, UNlike the Neurontin (where the seizure activity just kept getting worse, needing more meds as time went on), the cannabis helps me recover more quickly after over-use of my brain.  [For those who might doubt this: the US government took out a patent on CBD in 1985 for its neuroprotective qualities - yet still has kept cannabis "Schedule 1" which states there's "no medical use" for whatever is deemed schedule 1.  Based on head injury studies on mice (can't ethically do it with people), if I'd had access to high dose CBD/THC IMMEDIATELY in the EMS vehicle or on being taken to the ER after my accidents, I might still be able to fucking work, or at least socialize in person or on the phone.]

An amazing fact?  Once one's endocannabinoid system is tuned up, one actually needs LESS of the cannabinoids to get the same healing effects!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 02:14:18 PM by LucasM »

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #19958 on: July 28, 2019, 02:11:36 PM »
Wow that’s amazing Lucas!  Really happy to hear all that.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #19959 on: July 28, 2019, 02:19:18 PM »
Wow that’s amazing Lucas!  Really happy to hear all that.

Thanks!  The only drawback?  The auto insurance paid the pharmaceuticals (at one point to the tune of $3000 a MONTH!)  They won't (yet) cover the cannabis treatment.  But it is only about $35 a month for the cannabis concentrates I use.  Just over $1 a day.  To avoid the massive side-effects (both short and long-term) for all those drugs?  I'm MORE than willing to pay that out of pocket.

Good news on that front, even: in California in the last 6-10 months, a judge found an insurance company liable for covering cannabis treatment.  So it IS coming, just slowly.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 260
« Reply #19960 on: August 10, 2019, 06:03:11 PM »
Maybe the reason Sears and K-Mart aren't doing so well is because they refused to carry "Smell The Glove".

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 562
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #19961 on: August 10, 2019, 08:45:03 PM »
Maybe the reason Sears and K-Mart aren't doing so well is because they refused to carry "Smell The Glove".
I know one time I was able to find "Break like the wind" at K-mart one time with no problem.  ;D

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2640
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #19962 on: August 20, 2019, 12:52:58 PM »
MAGNETO!

This 1:16 scale wright flyer kit has been torture to build so far (model airways MA1020), but at least installing this part has been fun.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 12:55:11 PM by MartyS (Gromit) »

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #19963 on: August 21, 2019, 08:58:55 AM »
Just got this email from my union. I feel like it’s important information to pass along.

Sisters and Brothers,

It has come to our attention that Marriott’s “Green Choice” program, where guests may choose to skip housekeeping for environmental reasons and receive points, is not what it appears.

The truth is that no leading environmental studies recommend skipping housekeeping as an environmental practice. Guests can still opt for towel and linen reuse separately from this program.

“Green Choice” is simply a ploy to cut housekeeper’s hours and jobs. Worse, housekeepers are reporting going home in pain from having to clean filthy rooms that haven’t been cleaned for days.

This so–called “Green” program is taking advantage of people who use the program thinking they’re fighting the effects of climate change and is hurting working people in the process.

By saying no to Green Choice, you can send a clear message against corporate greenwashing programs that hinder our ability to make our communities more sustainable.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3176
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #19964 on: August 21, 2019, 09:10:32 AM »
Oh wow. The Hyatt Regency I stayed in this weekend didn't offer points or anything. There was just a little note in our room that says, "Tell us if you need fresh towels and linens, but we'll only do it automatically every 3 days to help the environment. They were still offering the rest of the housekeeping package automatically, though.