Author Topic: Completely Random Thoughts  (Read 1808970 times)

Offline Lesbunny

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 524
  • Bowsette is bae
Re: Completely Random Thoughts
« Reply #19845 on: April 17, 2019, 09:50:01 AM »
It's my turn to choose the movie for my fiancée and my date night. She asked for a clue, and all I would tell her was "This 90's classic where the hero gets the girl stars Robert Matthew Van Winkle in possibly his most iconic role."

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3213
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #19846 on: April 17, 2019, 10:22:14 AM »
It's my turn to choose the movie for my fiancée and my date night. She asked for a clue, and all I would tell her was "This 90's classic where the hero gets the girl stars Robert Matthew Van Winkle in possibly his most iconic role."

Drop that zero. So is that with Rifftrax, or is this some sort of thing where you each try to see who can cause the other the most pain? :^)

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 582
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #19847 on: April 17, 2019, 12:32:37 PM »
I'd much rather watch Cool as Ice than The Wizard.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #19848 on: April 17, 2019, 12:50:07 PM »
At least The Wizard gives us a few blessed moments of Super Mario 3.

Offline Lesbunny

• Big Montana
  • Bowsette is bae
« Reply #19849 on: April 17, 2019, 01:47:52 PM »

Drop that zero. So is that with Rifftrax, or is this some sort of thing where you each try to see who can cause the other the most pain? :^)

No Rifftrax. Just peak amazing 90's.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4662
« Reply #19850 on: April 17, 2019, 02:05:22 PM »
So, I've been wondering for a while now:

The accretion disc around a black hole moves in a fashion where the closer things orbit faster than the surrounding ones.

In our solar system, closer planets orbit faster than planets further out.

To those who were familiar with laserdiscs, this means: they are (roughly) constant linear velocity.

And yet...

According to science programs, the disc of the Milky Way galaxy spins as if it is a solid disc - the arms do not thin out and ultimately merge with one-another.

That - in laserdisc speak - is constant angular velocity.

What the hell?
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2666
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #19851 on: April 17, 2019, 02:54:34 PM »

The accretion disc around a black hole moves in a fashion where the closer things orbit faster than the surrounding ones.

To those who were familiar with laserdiscs, this means: they are (roughly) constant linear velocity.

And yet...

According to science programs, the disc of the Milky Way galaxy spins as if it is a solid disc - the arms do not thin out and ultimately merge with one-another.

What the hell?

That is the reason people look for extra mass in the universe, so theories like dark matter are formed.  Galaxies should not be spinning like that yet they are, our current understanding is that it would take a lot of extra hidden mass somewhere to get the inner and outer areas of galaxies to move as they do.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 582
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #19852 on: April 17, 2019, 03:32:23 PM »
At least The Wizard gives us a few blessed moments of Super Mario 3.
So did Cool as Ice.

Offline Cleat

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 145
« Reply #19853 on: April 17, 2019, 09:50:55 PM »

And yet...

What the hell?

Curd theory.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4662
« Reply #19854 on: April 19, 2019, 03:08:15 PM »

And yet...

What the hell?

That is the reason people look for extra mass in the universe, so theories like dark matter are formed.  Galaxies should not be spinning like that yet they are, our current understanding is that it would take a lot of extra hidden mass somewhere to get the inner and outer areas of galaxies to move as they do.

Thank you.

But yeah, the idea that there's a 'just right' amount of dark matter makes it even more astonishing.  The EXACT amount of dark matter needed for a galaxy to become a disc instead of an active spiral is present - in EVERY galaxy?  Holy shit!  The presence of the dark matter would have to vary EXACTLY inversely to how much physical matter down to random dust clouds is present in each galaxy (%-wise, as it may be more or less dense than physical matter), or else the spirals would dramatically distort over time.  But I've seen none that have that would be consistent with such a miss-match of matter to dark matter.

That is just mind-blowing in its precision.  Of course, if things weren't exactly right physics-wise (e.g. the balance of the forces of nature [weak, strong, electromagnetic, gravity]), there wouldn't be any physical matter, so it is just one more thing to be in awe about with the universe.
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2666
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #19855 on: April 19, 2019, 04:18:49 PM »

And yet...

What the hell?

Thank you.

But yeah, the idea that there's a 'just right' amount of dark matter makes it even more astonishing.  The EXACT amount of dark matter needed for a galaxy to become a disc instead of an active spiral is present - in EVERY galaxy?  Holy shit!  The presence of the dark matter would have to vary EXACTLY inversely to how much physical matter down to random dust clouds is present in each galaxy (%-wise, as it may be more or less dense than physical matter), or else the spirals would dramatically distort over time.  But I've seen none that have that would be consistent with such a miss-match of matter to dark matter.

That is just mind-blowing in its precision.  Of course, if things weren't exactly right physics-wise (e.g. the balance of the forces of nature [weak, strong, electromagnetic, gravity]), there wouldn't be any physical matter, so it is just one more thing to be in awe about with the universe.

I shouldn't have used the word theory, dark matter has not fully accepted or proved yet, so still just a hypothesis.

The odd way galaxies spin could simply be some aspect of gravity we have not discovered yet.

Offline Lesbunny

• Big Montana
  • Bowsette is bae
« Reply #19856 on: April 21, 2019, 03:56:38 AM »
Found out that I apparently think comparing people to Australian animals is derogatory. I regularly use "Ya dingo(s)" and I just used the phrase "Mentally deficient wombats".

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2654
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #19857 on: April 21, 2019, 10:37:31 PM »
Found out that I apparently think comparing people to Australian animals is derogatory. I regularly use "Ya dingo(s)" and I just used the phrase "Mentally deficient wombats".

Reasonable.

Here are some more suggestions:

Great hopping mouse
Frogmouth
Numbat
Bandicoot
Quokka
Pademelon
Dunnart
Potoroo
Cuscus
FINE

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #19858 on: April 22, 2019, 07:02:26 AM »
I am totally calling someone a numbat first chance I get.

Offline Lesbunny

• Big Montana
  • Bowsette is bae
« Reply #19859 on: April 22, 2019, 07:36:46 AM »

Reasonable.

Here are some more suggestions:

Great hopping mouse
Frogmouth
Numbat
Bandicoot
Quokka
Pademelon
Dunnart
Potoroo
Cuscus

Quokkas are too cute to be insulting.