login

Author Topic: Completely Random Thoughts  (Read 1786557 times)

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 562
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
Re: Completely Random Thoughts
« Reply #19605 on: October 14, 2018, 06:27:55 PM »
I'm creeped out by taxidermy.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4641
« Reply #19606 on: October 15, 2018, 03:22:13 AM »
So... this show on Netflix does not feature some things, and does not feature semen.  Why, then, does it only draw attention to the latter, naming it "[Neither ___] Nor..."?

To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline WhyDontTheyLook

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 111
  • Tell me.
    • GaryWOlson.com
« Reply #19607 on: October 15, 2018, 11:11:09 AM »
So... this show on Netflix does not feature some things, and does not feature semen.  Why, then, does it only draw attention to the latter, naming it "[Neither ___] Nor..."?

Maybe for the same reason food products that never had gluten started putting 'gluten free' on their packaging?  :)
"You never know, in a tight jam a nuclear missile just might come in handy."

Offline Imrahil

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 7908
« Reply #19608 on: October 15, 2018, 04:04:15 PM »
It's a funny show.  It's not a Netflix original, though.

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3857
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #19609 on: October 17, 2018, 12:39:18 AM »
So my idiot neighbors that bought the house next door to me on December 16, 2016; 3 weeks before my late wife's passing, have finally moved out (Friday October 12). They were the ones that were using my front yard as their personal driveway while I was in Mexico and I had to park my truck there to prevent them from doing that, as well as tossing their beer bottles and cans back over my privacy fence his redneck buddies threw into my backyard during their parties.. For 1 year and 10 months he and his redneck buddies would come over and party.. They'd even shoot crossbows at deer targets in their backyard and play shitty country music, even blaring it at 2am and had to call the cops to make them shut that shit off!
I'm so glad that asshole is gone and taken his white-trash friends with him! I have since moved my truck into my Mega Shed driveway as I no longer believe it has to be used as a 'road block' anymore.
The guy that bought the house looks to be a single man with a small dog. He seems quiet and he uses his own driveway like a civil human being. Maybe/Finally someone with common courtesy has moved in there. Only time will tell..
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 12:40:50 AM by RVR II »

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2641
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #19610 on: October 17, 2018, 07:19:39 AM »
It's a funny show.  It's not a Netflix original, though.

Netflix slaps that moniker on all the shows they pick up, they really should come up with a different one for shows that didn't start out on Netflix.

Offline The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4470
« Reply #19611 on: October 17, 2018, 07:58:22 AM »
They should just call it Netflix Exclusive.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #19612 on: October 18, 2018, 11:44:08 AM »
For those thinking artificial sweeteners are safe to eat:

Measuring Artificial Sweeteners Toxicity Using a Bioluminescent Bacterial Panel

If gut bacteria don't work right, it is impossible to be healthy.

More details here: https://www.organicconsumers.org/news/artificial-sweeteners-are-toxic-gut-bacteria-study-reveals
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 11:46:19 AM by LucasM »
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline Lesbunny

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 511
  • Bowsette is bae
« Reply #19613 on: October 18, 2018, 11:58:00 AM »
You can pry my diet Dr. Pepper from my cold, dead hands.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #19614 on: October 18, 2018, 01:18:14 PM »
So that is the explanation for some of the results seen, chemically it never made sense that the sweeteners would trigger certain reactions in the body, but this is showing an indirect route.

10 to 12 packets of any sweetener every day seem crazy high to me, but I've never been one to eat that much sweet food or drinks.

There are a lot of health issues linked to the health of gut bacteria, and even with more and more evidence building up it still seems to get ignored.  Most people don't know there should be 4 different types of bacteria in your gut, if you take stuff that wipes them out there are only a few probiotics out there that contain all 4 strains. 

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #19615 on: October 18, 2018, 04:00:57 PM »
I'm trying to drink as much Diet DP as possible in the possibly ridiculous hope that it will make me lose weight.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #19616 on: October 18, 2018, 06:28:48 PM »
There are a lot of health issues linked to the health of gut bacteria, and even with more and more evidence building up it still seems to get ignored.  Most people don't know there should be 4 different types of bacteria in your gut, if you take stuff that wipes them out there are only a few probiotics out there that contain all 4 strains.

When I was 'deep diving' into health stuff, at that point, which is now maybe five years ago (when they were only just starting to examine such things), it was stated that there were already over 110 strains of bacteria in a healthy gut (and some should-be-minor groups of them overgrown in unhealthy guts).  Each bacteria doing different things.  For instance, one could simply extract B vitamins from food (or just one or two related B vits).  A few digest related things like cauliflower and broccoli.  Others work on breaking proteins into component amino acids.  And so forth.  Most are HIGHLY specialized - basically: if we eat it, there's a bug for that!  [That'd make a great probiotic marketing line I think.]

For that reason, I've always thought that probiotics as presented to us (maybe five strains in a capsule) are inadequate.  Though, since it is the best option (as I can't ferment my own veggies to get tons more, and am allergic to dairy and can't have caffeine, so can't get still more from yogurt or Kombucha), I rotate through at least four different brands at a time of known-quality ones (i.e. one day I'll take one brand, then next I'll take a different one, etc.).  Two of those are special (one makes a point of including soil-based gut bacteria, the other uses a fat coating on little globs of the bacteria so more survive stomach acid).  And, with two of those, I swap them out with different brands that are known to also be good, with still different strains in them.  This way I get a whopping maybe 10-15 different strains (out of the 110+ that should be present), rather than just the five or so in any particular brand.  Not quite on the level as buying more than one lottery ticket thinking it will increase one's chances, but - again - its the best I can do.

There's a number of things I wrote here on probiotics.  Here's a couple from a while back if anyone is interested:
http://forum.rifftrax.com/index.php?topic=28215.msg896538#msg896538
http://forum.rifftrax.com/index.php?topic=4448.msg975985#msg975985

I'm trying to drink as much Diet DP as possible in the possibly ridiculous hope that it will make me lose weight.

It does the opposite, basically.  [One of MANY articles on the topic: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/splenda-blood-sugar-sucralose-insulin_n_3362122 ]  The artificial sweetener tricks the body into thinking that sugar is present, so it produces more insulin when ANY sugar is present (even in things like veggies or fruit or dairy).  Insulin is the fat-storing molecule.  More insulin = harder to lose weight, because your body is storing more.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 08:45:57 PM by LucasM »

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #19617 on: October 18, 2018, 06:57:58 PM »
... Well that sucks.  :P

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #19618 on: October 18, 2018, 07:15:34 PM »
Yes.  That was ultimately what caused me to stop drinking even the caffeine-free stuff years ago.  (I've saved a LOT of money since then, however, basically just drinking water.)

Though it didn't turn up with the site Search function (so not included in the above post, here's another thing I wrote on weight-loss and probiotics:  http://forum.rifftrax.com/index.php?topic=28215.msg887468#msg887468

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #19619 on: October 18, 2018, 07:53:49 PM »
If you want flavored water without sugar or artificial sweeteners I've been using the Sodastream fruit drops that come in the little glass bottles.  I don't use their machine to make soda but some of their flavorings are good, and all the other drops I've looked at have either caffeine and/or sucralose.   A few drops in a quart of water makes it taste pretty good.  I've tried lemon, lime, orange, and mango.  Only one not good was the mango, that one was terrible.