Author Topic: Completely Random Thoughts  (Read 1808575 times)

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3212
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
Re: Completely Random Thoughts
« Reply #19485 on: August 13, 2018, 07:41:19 PM »
Yup. From the start. In every previous year, it's come out closer to the 16th. I know this because Tyrant and I like to go for our anniversary. Little bit later this year.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2666
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #19486 on: August 13, 2018, 09:58:43 PM »
Just 100 years ago people didn't really 'own' music.  It wasn't possible (or practical).

Time is marching on, you've got to increase that number by about 30 years, by 1918 the record industry was pretty substantial, and the price of players had come down to be affordable to the masses.

120 years ago there were lots of records being made, but mostly bought by rich people or owners of parlors that had coin operated players.  I've got some records from around 1900 that have stickers on them saying they can't be sold for under $3, that's about $80 today.  But even those were made in such numbers that they are not worth much today.

Hard to imagine having basically what became the jukebox as the only attraction for a business, but apparently in the 1890s there were lots of phonograph listening parlors in cities.

And for more random useless info, just realized that at the same time in the early 1900s Edison and the Wright brothers had invented an amazing thing but lost out on it badly because of over zealous suing to squash competitors.  The Wright brothers spent so much time suing others that made anything that looked like their design that they let others beat them to all the big improvements in aircraft that made a lot of other people rich.  And while the cylinder was never going to be mass produced the way discs were, Edison stuck to it suing anyone that made cylinders (at a time when lots of companies making cylinders might have put a dent in disc sales and helped Edison), by the time he realized discs were the way to go and started making his own it was too late and he could never catch up, his lead in better sound quality was soon gone and he was out of the record business.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3212
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #19487 on: August 14, 2018, 06:26:20 PM »
Now what I did NOT notice about the Krull show is that the encore is a little after Noon on the Saturday after rather than a week later at the same time. That's actually way easier to wrangle. I think we'll hold out for the encore (As thrilling as it is to catch them live).

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #19488 on: August 15, 2018, 05:53:58 AM »
Ordered floor mats for my new car from Amazon, they sent a wall mount for a TV...

I've had packages go missing before but I think this is the first time I've been sent the wrong item.  Amazon rep said UPS would pick it up if no one is home today but the website says someone has to be there, we will see which is true. 

Re-ordered the mats, hope I don't get another TV mount.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3899
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #19489 on: August 15, 2018, 06:08:06 AM »
I've been doing video reviews of LED light products from Sansi for over a year now and my latest project is a prototype for a motion sensor security camera light.
Installed it, downloaded and installed their app but it would not connect to my wifi.. even relocated it 5 ft away thinking it was a range issue..
Come to find out their app is not compatible with my Samsung Galaxy S4, only versions 5 and up..
So now they want me to upgrade my phone to continue testing and that's a bit complicated as I would have to buy a newer phone or setup a new line with a newer cell to continue testing this product and I have no plans to do this. So they want me instead to use someone elses cell phone to continue testing and of course no one will let me use their cell for an extended period of time just to test their product ::)
I'm to the point now that if they can't make the app compatible with my cell then there's no need to proceed any further with testing :-[

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #19490 on: August 15, 2018, 06:48:42 AM »
Is there a cheap tablet that is compatible?  If it's only for testing does it need to be a phone?

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #19491 on: August 15, 2018, 07:09:54 AM »
Is there a cheap tablet that is compatible?  If it's only for testing does it need to be a phone?
Not sure.. All the rep said was
Could you borrow a phone from your family or your friends which has >5.0 Android system or IOS system?
And I don't own a tablet but if I find one it would need the proper software version to continue the test.
Then they say
Would you try to find a WIFI hotspot of another cell phone and try to connect the security light?
How am I going to connect the light up at a wifi hotspot ???
I've been working on this for a week now and it's getting pretty frustrating :-\
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 07:12:39 AM by RVR II »

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #19492 on: August 15, 2018, 07:31:09 AM »
Would you try to find a WIFI hotspot of another cell phone and try to connect the security light?
I've been working on this for a week now and it's getting pretty frustrating :-\

Does the light connect directly to the phone?  That makes zero sense, the light wouldn't work when you were away from home.  I don't think the rep has any idea how things work.

I wouldn't buy a product like that if it didn't have a way for me to connect to it from my PC, only having access from a phone is too limiting.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #19493 on: August 15, 2018, 07:47:28 AM »

Does the light connect directly to the phone?  That makes zero sense, the light wouldn't work when you were away from home.  I don't think the rep has any idea how things work.

I wouldn't buy a product like that if it didn't have a way for me to connect to it from my PC, only having access from a phone is too limiting.
The light needs to be hard wired outside the home like a motion activated light.
I guess you need to be home for the camera to send a signal to the app on my phone when it's activated by motion.

Yeah I wouldn't either just for that reason
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 07:53:09 AM by RVR II »

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #19494 on: August 15, 2018, 08:41:09 AM »
The light needs to be hard wired outside the home like a motion activated light.
I guess you need to be home for the camera to send a signal to the app on my phone when it's activated by motion.

OK, so it must somehow use the wifi tethering hotspot on your phone to talk directly to the light?  That's a terrible design, plenty of carriers disable the hotspot so they can charge you extra for tethering, and if they see it turned on they can charge you extra for tethering.  They need to rethink their system so the light connects to your home wifi and the phone app monitors it through your home network, that way it will work with any phone.

Also, I don't think I'd want that bothering me every time an animal walks by...

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #19495 on: August 15, 2018, 09:17:30 AM »

OK, so it must somehow use the wifi tethering hotspot on your phone to talk directly to the light?  That's a terrible design, plenty of carriers disable the hotspot so they can charge you extra for tethering, and if they see it turned on they can charge you extra for tethering.  They need to rethink their system so the light connects to your home wifi and the phone app monitors it through your home network, that way it will work with any phone.

Actually I think that's how it's laid out..
The light is supposed to connect to my home wifi and the phone app should monitor it through my home network, and it should work with any phone but apparently mine is too old :-\

Yeah I agree

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #19496 on: August 15, 2018, 09:33:06 AM »

The light is supposed to connect to my home wifi and the phone app should monitor it through my home network, and it should work with any phone but apparently mine is too old :-\

Yeah I agree

Ah, so they are just too lazy to compile a version of the app for Android 4, there wouldn't be anything new in 5 or higher needed just to see a device on your network.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #19497 on: August 15, 2018, 09:47:29 AM »

Yeah I agree

Ah, so they are just too lazy to compile a version of the app for Android 4, there wouldn't be anything new in 5 or higher needed just to see a device on your network.
Yeah I agree and I'm not jumping through anymore hurtles so I hope they can come up with a version for Android 4 or this test is over.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 581
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #19498 on: August 15, 2018, 10:39:01 AM »
In an attempt to burn some damn calories, I walked my ass off yesterday... not literally though, unfortunately. I also spent a little too much(at least by my standards anyway). I got a Megadeth shirt, a book from Barnes and Noble and the exclusive to Target edition of Avengers Infinity War. Also got a burger that just... didn't taste all that great. I know I must have tired myself pretty well yesterday because I slept very well last night.

I always like walking through my local mall. I guess the best way to describe it is that I have certain emotions attached to going to the mall that go all the way back to when I was old enough to remember going to the mall. It's just cool because you feel like you're in a place where you can get pretty much anything you ever wanted... even if you couldn't afford it all in a million years.  The atmosphere is just very uplifting like no other place I can go to locally.

Offline Lesbunny

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 524
  • Bowsette is bae
« Reply #19499 on: August 15, 2018, 03:09:05 PM »
I had a colonoscopy and endoscopy today. High as a kite. Everything looked normal but he took a bunch of biopsies, I'll find out if I've got Crohn's or UC in a week or so