login

Author Topic: Completely Random Thoughts  (Read 1803921 times)

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2657
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
Re: Completely Random Thoughts
« Reply #19470 on: August 06, 2018, 10:58:00 AM »
When Blu-Ray was developed it was in the specs that it had to support DVD playback, that has continued with 4K players.

The switch to streaming is the real threat, if people stop buying discs then companies will stop making them, and then players will die out.

That has already happened with Blu-Ray 3D, you can still get 3D players but if I wanted to replace my TV  there are no 3D TVs being sold, so all my 3D disks would only be good for 2D playback.
I thought most TVs have 3D built into them now? Or was that just the fad a few years ago when I bought my last TV.

EDIT: Looking it up, it looks like a lot of tech articles from last year and this year are saying that it's "dead". On the positive side, it looks like curved TVs are also dead, and I'm glad for that. That was always a stupid idea.

Yup, no TVs with the option for 3D have been made for I think 2, maybe 3 years now, very few new discs coming out in 3D, so it's pretty much been killed off by the TV manufacturers.  You would think someone would come out with a box that would create the signals to send to the glasses but I can't find any company that has done this.

I have about 25-30 3D blu-rays that are going to become useless when I decide to upgrade to 4K.

I hadn't heard that curved is finally dead, that's good news, maybe it adds something if there is one person sitting perfectly in the center, but for a decade+ viewing angle has been a big deal, making the screen curved goes against that.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5894
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #19471 on: August 06, 2018, 10:58:39 AM »

That being said and getting back to the point, there's at least to me nothing like actually holding the physical media in hand.
I agree. Because I'm also of an older generation like yourself. I think kids being raised now with digital media will not see a value in that. The only way they would is if a company they have a lot of data with goes belly up and they lose it all.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2657
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #19472 on: August 06, 2018, 11:56:19 AM »

That being said and getting back to the point, there's at least to me nothing like actually holding the physical media in hand.
I agree. Because I'm also of an older generation like yourself. I think kids being raised now with digital media will not see a value in that. The only way they would is if a company they have a lot of data with goes belly up and they lose it all.

I am kind of surprised this hasn't happened yet with one of the smaller companies, I guess there are still enough people buying stuff at places like Vudu to keep them in business.  I bought a few movies through them many years ago when you could put a DVD in your computer and if an HD streaming version was available you could buy it for a few bucks, it was a good option for some of the stupid "limited run" blu-rays that were coming out for older movies.  There are still a few of those I'd like to have on Blu-Ray but I missed the one month window before they all sold out and they haven't made more since.

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3569
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #19473 on: August 06, 2018, 03:57:54 PM »
Relevent to our discussion of the justice system:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ET_b78GSBUs" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/ET_b78GSBUs</a>

Offline Pastor of Muppets

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 376
  • Now available in minty fresh flavor.
« Reply #19474 on: August 09, 2018, 01:44:03 PM »
Two weeks ago I wrote a woman who was on a reality TV show. Surprisingly, she wrote me back.  Then today she called me and we spoke on the phone for 15 minutes. It's a surreal experience to interact with television that way.
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 580
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #19475 on: August 10, 2018, 09:21:00 AM »
Ever make what you think is a perfectly innocuous joke or comment on a movie and someone calls you a troll for it? I mean yeah, I guess I can see why, but sometimes I think some other people don't take the time to have the thought process of "I can see how somebody might say that without being a jerk about it...".

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3204
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #19476 on: August 10, 2018, 09:27:47 AM »
A big chunk of the Internet doesn't quite know how to use the word "Troll." There's a difference between submitting a controversial viewpoint like, "I think Episode 1 was the best Star Wars movie!" and submitting a controversial viewpoint like, "I think Episode 1 was the best Star Wars movies, unlike all of you losers!" There's saying something that a lot of people will disagree with, and then there's stirring the pot.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3894
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #19477 on: August 10, 2018, 09:40:17 AM »
A big chunk of the Internet doesn't quite know how to use the word "Troll."
:spammer: FAKE NEWS!!

;D

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #19478 on: August 10, 2018, 10:11:37 AM »
A big chunk of the Internet doesn't quite know how to use the word "Troll." There's a difference between submitting a controversial viewpoint like, "I think Episode 1 was the best Star Wars movie!" and submitting a controversial viewpoint like, "I think Episode 1 was the best Star Wars movies, unlike all of you losers!" There's saying something that a lot of people will disagree with, and then there's stirring the pot.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/x9gN2hdybFY" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/x9gN2hdybFY</a>

Offline Lesbunny

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 520
  • Bowsette is bae
« Reply #19479 on: August 10, 2018, 10:45:01 AM »

I almost feel attacked, since I don't hate Episode 1. But I wouldn't call you all losers for that; there's so many better reasons hyuk hyuk

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3204
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #19480 on: August 10, 2018, 10:50:19 AM »
I dig Ep 1 too. I will always maintain that bottom-tier Star Wars is still top-tier entertainment.

Offline Lesbunny

• Big Montana
  • Bowsette is bae
« Reply #19481 on: August 12, 2018, 12:49:00 PM »
I'm getting into sports, and I'm not sure how I feel about this. I've never been a big sports fan, but I dunno. I made the decision to give hockey a try earlier this summer, but it's off-season, so nothing to watch on it. Now I've decided to start watching the Rockies. I'm not sure if I need to complete my collection of the Colorado teams and fangirl the Broncos, or if I should just settle for the Avs and the Rockies.

Offline Lesbunny

• Big Montana
  • Bowsette is bae
« Reply #19482 on: August 12, 2018, 03:18:28 PM »
I'm getting into sports, and I'm not sure how I feel about this. I've never been a big sports fan, but I dunno. I made the decision to give hockey a try earlier this summer, but it's off-season, so nothing to watch on it. Now I've decided to start watching the Rockies. I'm not sure if I need to complete my collection of the Colorado teams and fangirl the Broncos, or if I should just settle for the Avs and the Rockies.

The Avalanche missed 7 of the last 10 playoffs, although they did squeak in last year as a wildcard and got smoked. Don't do this to yourself. You don't want me taunting you mercilessly either since I root for the Sharks also in the west. :)

Hey, I'm from Kansas City, we're used to losing at sports.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1545
« Reply #19483 on: August 12, 2018, 05:41:58 PM »

Things are going to change.  Just 100 years ago people didn't really 'own' music.  It wasn't possible (or practical).  Now it's so easy to own music or movies, that it's almost not necessary. 

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #19484 on: August 13, 2018, 06:43:54 PM »
Ok, why the hell did I think the Rifftrax Live show of Krull with August 16th? Was it always the 23rd?