Author Topic: Completely Random Thoughts  (Read 1613582 times)

Offline Lesbunny

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 244
  • Bowsette is bae
Re: Completely Random Thoughts
« Reply #19125 on: January 14, 2018, 12:17:23 PM »
Some little brat seems to think that she knows more about Harry Potter than me. Time to put this bitch in her place, son

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2341
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #19126 on: January 14, 2018, 07:35:49 PM »
Got one of those big flies you only seem to get in the winter flying around my house...

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 1272
« Reply #19127 on: January 15, 2018, 06:27:23 AM »
Got one of those big flies you only seem to get in the winter flying around my house...

As the other flies succumb to the cold, there is one that remains. As the other flies are dressed by their mothers, there is one whose style can’t be matched. He is... Super Fly!

Offline Russoguru

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 249
  • "He's never fought me twice!"
« Reply #19128 on: January 15, 2018, 11:07:31 AM »
Some little brat seems to think that she knows more about Harry Potter than me. Time to put this bitch in her place, son
Well it's not me for many reasons, first and foremost being that the limitations of my knowledge about Harry Potter is that it's a book/movie franchise that features a movie named Harry Potter. Of course the movie "Troll" features a character also named Harry Potter.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2370
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #19129 on: January 15, 2018, 03:00:08 PM »
Well it's not me for many reasons, first and foremost being that the limitations of my knowledge about Harry Potter is that it's a book/movie franchise that features a movie named Harry Potter. Of course the movie "Troll" features a character also named Harry Potter.

Troll actually features two characters named Harry Potter (a Jr and a Sr). It also features one of those characters learning magic.

It also features a nude Juliea Louis-Dreyfus, which was in the original draft of Order of the Pheonix, but was cut for some reason.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline NRRork

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 81
    • Yep, I have a deviantART gallery. But it's pretty cheerful drawings-- no angsty poems or black-and-white photos of wooden chairs.
« Reply #19130 on: January 15, 2018, 03:54:40 PM »
Music purists who only listen to vinyl records over things like tube amps, they shun any kind of digital music format:

Audiophiles hate audio files.
I used to have an image here, but Photobucket got cheap about remote linking. I guess I'll have to think of something witty instead. Which I will. Later. It caught me by surprise, in all honesty. It's hard to be clever on command, I mean, YOU try it. Be funny: NOW! See, tough. So, gimme a bit, 'kay?

Offline Lesbunny

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 244
  • Bowsette is bae
« Reply #19131 on: January 15, 2018, 06:35:49 PM »
Music purists who only listen to vinyl records over things like tube amps, they shun any kind of digital music format:

Friend of mine gave me his old copy of Dark Side of the Moon on vinyl, I was pretty stoked. I enjoy records, there's a certain je ne sais quois about it. I didn't have the chance to listen to records, I grew up in the cassettes and CD days, but I think that records are really cool and clever. The way that it works blows my mind, because it's PHYSICAL. Most of my life, music has been in audio files, and I can wrap my head tricking a rock into thinking by using lightning and making it sing a lot better than I can a record. Shit blows my mind, yo.

Yes, I'm young. So sue me.

but don't actually I'd really appreciate it if you didn't guys and girls

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2341
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #19132 on: January 15, 2018, 11:21:19 PM »

Friend of mine gave me his old copy of Dark Side of the Moon on vinyl, I was pretty stoked. I enjoy records, there's a certain je ne sais quois about it. I didn't have the chance to listen to records, I grew up in the cassettes and CD days, but I think that records are really cool and clever. The way that it works blows my mind, because it's PHYSICAL. Most of my life, music has been in audio files, and I can wrap my head tricking a rock into thinking by using lightning and making it sing a lot better than I can a record. Shit blows my mind, yo.

So could your mind handle an old Victrola?  NO electricity!  Just crank it up, and music comes out! 

There is the saying about how sufficiently advanced technology seems to be magic, it's kind of funny that as technology improves older devices seem like magic...

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5314
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #19133 on: January 16, 2018, 11:07:22 AM »

So could your mind handle an old Victrola?  NO electricity!  Just crank it up, and music comes out! 

There is the saying about how sufficiently advanced technology seems to be magic, it's kind of funny that as technology improves older devices seem like magic...
Yeah, it taps into that sense quaintness. Where the technology is so crude it's amazing that it worked at all. It still amazes me that the Space Shuttles have many decades old technology operating them, stuff that even my phone blows out of the water computationally.

Offline NRRork

• Not Hurt By Pain
    • Yep, I have a deviantART gallery. But it's pretty cheerful drawings-- no angsty poems or black-and-white photos of wooden chairs.
« Reply #19134 on: January 16, 2018, 11:50:29 AM »
Yeah, I wouldn't make fun if they were just straight with us and said "We just think they're COOL!" I a thousand billion percent GET THAT! I get the appeal of classic cars and antiques and retro stuff. Like, if I had the money, I'd get a house with like a basement or den that was total Mad Men / Dick Van Dyke show mid-century look. Then like the trippy, hippie room where I'd eat the brownies that are kicking in a good HOUR ahead of schedule on me, and that is REALLY throwing off the last hour or so of my afternoon.

Point is I GET IT. That's just their taste. I just find the "it's a purer sound. . . " to be pretentious and worthy of a little affectionate parody.
I used to have an image here, but Photobucket got cheap about remote linking. I guess I'll have to think of something witty instead. Which I will. Later. It caught me by surprise, in all honesty. It's hard to be clever on command, I mean, YOU try it. Be funny: NOW! See, tough. So, gimme a bit, 'kay?

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2722
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #19135 on: January 16, 2018, 11:56:22 AM »
Yeah, I find that to be akin to saying, "I only watch old TV shows on a tube-based TV, because that's how it was intended to be viewed!" No it wasn't. It was just the only way it could be viewed at the time. I think it has more to do with, "This is how I remember seeing it (or hearing it in this case), so that's how it feels right to me."

Offline NRRork

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #19136 on: January 16, 2018, 12:02:00 PM »
And I'll go one further and agree that vinyl records are cool. Those old, big-ass boomboxes were cool, too, although I'll reiterate that tape is inferior, but even IT has a retro charm to it now. [analog] Video was inferior to film as well.

And while I think an iPhone with a good set of speakers is gonna deliver better sound or picture quality than ALL OF THOSE. And it's much more affordable than a good hi-fi was back in the 60s and can do so much more and is so much easier and more practical to use. I would never want to give any of that up now that we have it.

But I'd still love to have that retro 60s den if I could afford it. ^_^

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6650
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #19137 on: January 16, 2018, 12:06:54 PM »
And while I think an iPhone with a good set of speakers is gonna deliver better sound or picture quality than ALL OF THOSE.

i'm still allowed to stab people who use those on a bus, right?
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline NRRork

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #19138 on: January 16, 2018, 12:08:01 PM »
Yeah, I find that to be akin to saying, "I only watch old TV shows on a tube-based TV, because that's how it was intended to be viewed!" No it wasn't. It was just the only way it could be viewed at the time. I think it has more to do with, "This is how I remember seeing it (or hearing it in this case), so that's how it feels right to me."

I feel that way with old video games, though. Like, the dithering on a Genesis game is a lot more noticeable on an HDTV. I always put a CRT filter on my emulators. But it's still just aesthetic, there's no PRACTICAL reason why a video game from 30 years ago can't be played on a new TV. Except for light guns, those really DON'T work on new TVs. You might have to buy an adaptor these days for some of them, but they'll play fine.

Atari upscales fine, though. The graphics are so primitive ANYWAY that they really can't become MORE blocky. Upscaled to HD, it just looks deliberately retro and stylized.

Offline NRRork

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #19139 on: January 16, 2018, 12:09:38 PM »
And while I think an iPhone with a good set of speakers is gonna deliver better sound or picture quality than ALL OF THOSE.

i'm still allowed to stab people who use those on a bus, right?

Yeah, but I'd say the same is true if some handlebar-moustached hipster came on the bus with an old wi-fi and speakers strapped to his back.