Author Topic: Completely Random Thoughts  (Read 1879070 times)

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4849
Re: Completely Random Thoughts
« Reply #19095 on: December 28, 2017, 01:52:12 PM »
Thank you RF, MS, and VoC.  (As usual, it didn't occur to me to just do a Wikipedia or Google search for such a thing... I tend to forget that 'approximations' can find results, one doesn't have to have a specific thing to search for. ::) )

The other one I am thinking of - or rather, NOT thinking of, but remembering as having existed - is one where it could be 'bent' a little to make a semi-subtle pun for a town full of animated creatures.  I thought of it a few years back, in conjunction with "ANItown, U.S.A." for cities in an animated universe.  But unfortunately I forgot the other pun I'd come up with, and now can't even remember the source name (or I could easily regenerate the pun).  I have a vague sense that the other generic town name I used was possibly two words.

[By explaining, I've rendered null and void any potential amusement that might come of it, should I ever think of it, where I would previously have posted it as one of my 'Deep Thoughts for the Day' here.]
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 01:59:46 PM by LucasM »
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline Lesbunny

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 672
  • I just kinda want to die all the time
« Reply #19096 on: December 28, 2017, 04:08:39 PM »
Girls are either straight or in a monogamous relationship. Annoying as heck, to.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4849
« Reply #19097 on: December 28, 2017, 08:02:50 PM »
I saw this headline:

Lindsay Lohan bitten by a snake while vacationing in Thailand

And, disturbing as it was, my first thought was:

". . . after lengthy hospitalization following the bite - doctors say they have determined that the snake will be OK."
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline Imrahil

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 7914
« Reply #19098 on: December 29, 2017, 07:16:19 PM »
I saw this headline:

Lindsay Lohan bitten by a snake while vacationing in Thailand

And, disturbing as it was, my first thought was:

". . . after lengthy hospitalization following the bite - doctors say they have determined that the snake will be OK."

Lucas, have you ever listened to the long-running British panel show "I'm Sorry, I Haven't a Clue"?  I think you'd really like it.  PM me for details if you're interested, I can hook you up.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 2844
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #19099 on: December 29, 2017, 09:00:58 PM »
So, fireworks are legal in PA now, but it's going to be the coldest new years in 100 years, I guess I'll wait until 4th of July to get some....

Offline Lesbunny

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 672
  • I just kinda want to die all the time
« Reply #19100 on: December 30, 2017, 08:49:55 AM »
Has anyone ever seen Cate Blanchett and Tilda Swinton in the same room? I'm not convinced that they're not the same person.

Offline Jesse412

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 75
  • Old Curmudgeon
    • My deviantART Gallery
« Reply #19101 on: December 30, 2017, 10:58:06 AM »
So, fireworks are legal in PA now, but it's going to be the coldest new years in 100 years, I guess I'll wait until 4th of July to get some....

Pennsylvania relaxing their liquor laws and legalizing fireworks.  What could possibly go wrong?  :D
"It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #19102 on: December 30, 2017, 11:33:42 AM »

Pennsylvania relaxing their liquor laws and legalizing fireworks.  What could possibly go wrong?  :D

There are new liquor laws?  Haven't heard of that.  I know they have been trying to allow it to be sold in places other than state stores but I haven't seen it happen around here yet.  Only thing I've seen is what amounts to a mini state store in some supermarkets that only sells wine.

As for fireworks, cherrybombs and anything larger like M-80s are still illegal, but almost everything else you find in fireworks stores are legal. 

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 356
« Reply #19103 on: December 31, 2017, 03:02:41 AM »
Happy New Year!
Well Kidney's shutting down was a dramatic low point for the start of 2017, and being forced to leave my home of almost 9 years was another low point, but overall the year ended pretty well. The Election going off successfully was a major career milestone in particular. I'm excited for 2018, got a few goals in mind and look forward to what the year is going to bring.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/vfbG3WovXHw" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/vfbG3WovXHw</a>

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3541
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #19104 on: January 01, 2018, 12:12:56 AM »
Well 2018 now blankets the entire contiguous United States, so Happy New Year to everyone! Let's make it a good one.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4244
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #19105 on: January 01, 2018, 05:35:13 AM »
I went to sleep before the ball dropped in NYC.. My Goddaughter and another niece of my late wife were the only ones that tried to contact me from Mexico last night.
To say I'm glad to put 2017 behind me feels a bit strange as I'm still in a reorganizing/rebuilding process here at home. I will be making one last trip to Mexico in a few days for the first anniversary of my wife's passing and to wrap up what I couldn't get done last January (sign over what's left of my land to my Goddaughter, get some dental work done, get the rest of my belongings, and visit the cemetery one last time) and then that will most likely be my final trip there.
Once I return, I've been offered part time work at Target and I'll get my remaining 2 computers prepped for 2017 tax season, which also may be my last year doing taxes (depends on the number of customers that come in) because I really need to focus on finding something full-time with benefits so I can rebuild my retirement.
Not a fan of change but change is inevitable  :-[

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4244
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #19106 on: January 02, 2018, 05:24:27 AM »
So this goof tries to be smart posting on my video Ressurrecting a Dell Dimension E310
Henry.
To each there own but this is absolutely the most ass backwards way of going about ‘resurrecting’ a old computer I‘ve probably ever seen.

1. Clean it before you do any work on it not during the work or after. That’s literally basic common sense. Focusing especially on cleaning out the power supply and the CPU’s heatsink.

2. Why under any circumstances you’d use the older slower IDE cables on of all things the hard drive rather then on the slower less likely to be used CD/DVD drives boggles my mind. It’s using a mechanical hard drive so why you would bottleneck it down even farther forcing it to work threw a IDE cable instead of a faster SATA cable I can’t for the life of me rationalize.

3. Probably should have put new thermal compound on the CPU before you even bothered to load the system down with a OS install. A over heating CPU could have been half the problem of the crashes and so forth from the PC’s previous users were experiencing especially with the system running a Pentium 4.

I mean I could go on and on but at the end of the day it’s not my computer and as dick-ish as I probably sound I would hope if people take anything away from this video it’s that this is NOT to ‘resurrect’ a old computer.

And my response▼
RVR2
First off this is not a 'How To' video, simply an experiment of trial & error and it worked..
1-It wasn't that dirty to be of any real concern.. I've seen much worse.
2-I had spare IDE hard drives and cables on hand I was looking to use up anyway.
3-There was never an issue with the processor overheating...

Maybe instead of using your channel to whine and complain about other peoples videos like a troll, you could post some videos showing people your so-called 'right-way' of doing things..
I mean I could go on and on but you might also want to learn the correct usage of the words Then and Than when commenting so you people won't think you're a not-so edumacated person...

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #19107 on: January 02, 2018, 07:25:17 AM »
Yeah, if you are hooking up an IDE drive you've got to use an IDE cable, motherboards might have had both options for several years during the transition but there were never any hard drives that had both IDE and SATA.

Offline Russoguru

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 747
  • Define lunch or be disintegrated!
« Reply #19108 on: January 02, 2018, 08:31:22 AM »
Yeah I'm afraid my knowledge of computers stops roughly somewhere around knowing what HDD stands for.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1637
« Reply #19109 on: January 04, 2018, 12:54:01 PM »
Just found one of my new favorite quotes.  It's from Taylor Swift's defense lawyer:

Plaintiffs’ claim to being the only ones in the world who can refer to players playing and haters hating is frivolous…Providing a copyright monopoly in the phrase would prevent others from sharing the idea that players play and haters hate.