Author Topic: Completely Random Thoughts  (Read 1809105 times)

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3569
  • All joking a salad.
Re: Completely Random Thoughts
« Reply #19050 on: December 11, 2017, 09:36:06 AM »
I know I'm a couple days late on this one, but I completely disagree that Baby Its Cold Outside could be innocent. It's clearly sexual ("Your lips look delicious"?). And she said "no" multiple times. There is no consent, and he refuses to take "no" for an answer. It is completely inappropriate regardless of #metoo, and just because that behavior was accepted in the past doesn't make it ok now or ever.

Let it die.

She can get up and leave any time she wants.  Just because you pressure someone to do something doesn't mean that you take away their free will.

Romanticising date rape is not okay. And who knows if she could leave?  Maybe he's her ride.  Maybe he's her boss, and will still have to deal with it on Monday.  I've also heard that it's too cold outside for safe travel.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2666
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #19051 on: December 11, 2017, 09:44:50 AM »
Should I use my invisibility for good or evil?

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3214
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #19052 on: December 11, 2017, 10:11:36 AM »
I see you, Marty. The context makes a big difference, but- as is made abundantly clear by this conversation- most listeners don't have the context.

Now that I've looked at the context another question arises. How DID this end up as a Christmas song? Christmas is never mentioned. It's just a song about it being cold. Neptune's Daughter (From what I can gleam from Wikipedia) doesn't appear to be a Christmas movie. Based on the "Other Recordings" section of Wikipedia, it wasn't even on a Christmas album until Elf came out in 2003. Come to think of it, I don't even remember hearing it until about 15 years ago. Was this  Zooey Deschanel's fault?

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3569
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #19053 on: December 11, 2017, 10:30:17 AM »
I see you, Marty. The context makes a big difference, but- as is made abundantly clear by this conversation- most listeners don't have the context.

Now that I've looked at the context another question arises. How DID this end up as a Christmas song? Christmas is never mentioned. It's just a song about it being cold. Neptune's Daughter (From what I can gleam from Wikipedia) doesn't appear to be a Christmas movie. Based on the "Other Recordings" section of Wikipedia, it wasn't even on a Christmas album until Elf came out in 2003. Come to think of it, I don't even remember hearing it until about 15 years ago. Was this  Zooey Deschanel's fault?

I think your assessment is pretty spot on.

I get why people want to hold on to it.  The back and forth is a fun musical element.  If not for the undertones, it would be a cute song.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2666
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #19054 on: December 11, 2017, 10:31:46 AM »

That's what I've been thinking, the movie came out in the summer, set in a warm location, the "cold outside" bit is a farce (part of the comedy of the movie), so how did it get put on the Christmas playlist.

I did say before it doesn't hold up outside the movie, but there have been covers that change the lyrics to bring it up to date, there's a video with little kids that's pretty funny (soda instead of drinks).
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 11:19:12 AM by MartyS (Gromit) »

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2654
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #19055 on: December 11, 2017, 04:18:42 PM »
The song "Baby It's Cold Outside" was not planned to be in this film. It took the place of Frank Loesser's "(I'd Like to Get You on a) Slow Boat to China," which the Hayes Office thought inappropriate

:O
FINE

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #19056 on: December 11, 2017, 04:20:47 PM »
Also, the song predates the film:

... after years of informally performing the song at various parties, Loesser sold the rights to MGM, which inserted the song into its 1949 motion picture, Neptune's Daughter.

Which might be what makes it make no sense in the film (if it was in fact not actually cold outside), and also therefore doesn't actually change the intention or context of the song at all.
FINE

Offline Lesbunny

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 524
  • Bowsette is bae
« Reply #19057 on: December 13, 2017, 08:53:18 PM »
I'm actually upset that Yu-Gi-Oh! isn't a better show. It's got all the parts of a good show, but 4kids ruined a lot of it. The lore and story is good, and the card game is actually pretty interesting. Still, drunk me finds it enjoyable.

Offline Lesbunny

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 524
  • Bowsette is bae
« Reply #19058 on: December 13, 2017, 09:38:43 PM »
Polyamory is pretty cool till you realise that not everyone is polyamorous and that girl you've been interested in is dating someone and even if she wasn't she wouldn't be down with you being married to another woman.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1547
« Reply #19059 on: December 14, 2017, 10:02:47 AM »
Polyamory is pretty cool till you realise that not everyone is polyamorous and that girl you've been interested in is dating someone and even if she wasn't she wouldn't be down with you being married to another woman.

Yeah, agreed. My wife and I are cool with each other sleeping with other people, but like, I don’t really see that happening for me. So I consider myself polyinterested, but monogalistic.

Offline Jesse412

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 72
  • Old Curmudgeon
    • My deviantART Gallery
« Reply #19060 on: December 14, 2017, 04:29:14 PM »

I once explained being polyamorous to a woman who was interested in dating me and she condescendingly replied that "I deserved better".  ::)
"It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Offline The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4515
« Reply #19061 on: December 14, 2017, 06:09:33 PM »
Wasn't expecting Issac to pop on my Twitter feed, but I wasn't expecting it to be a little fight with Bill over Net Neutrality even more.

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #19062 on: December 14, 2017, 10:45:49 PM »
Wasn't expecting Issac to pop on my Twitter feed, but I wasn't expecting it to be a little fight with Bill over Net Neutrality even more.

This I GOTTA see!
FINE

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3900
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #19063 on: December 14, 2017, 11:03:57 PM »

This I GOTTA see!
Link please :o

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #19064 on: December 14, 2017, 11:07:20 PM »
Issac deleted the main, instigating tweet by the looks of it. It's mostly just him telling people to fuck off.

https://twitter.com/IsaacBaranoff/with_replies
FINE