login

Author Topic: Completely Random Thoughts  (Read 1913831 times)

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6326
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
Re: Completely Random Thoughts
« Reply #13080 on: February 07, 2015, 02:23:29 PM »
Um...glad I could help...I guess...

Offline Lembach

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 8272
  • Hormel Batch Master
« Reply #13081 on: February 07, 2015, 02:52:14 PM »

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4605
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #13082 on: February 07, 2015, 02:56:31 PM »
You young whipper snappers got it made..
When I was a boy, I would go to school truggin through 6 feet of snow bare foot in the Winter time and in the Summer I'd be fending off dinosaurs from eating the girls I liked  8)

Offline The Lurker

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 5015
« Reply #13083 on: February 07, 2015, 06:48:19 PM »
By the way, in case you weren't aware, Shout Factory has a bunch of streaming TV episodes and movies at http://www.shoutfactorytv.com/  Even a few MST3K ones.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4992
« Reply #13084 on: February 07, 2015, 08:35:35 PM »
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Very well said, JU!

In mid-January I turned 57 (same day as the 20 year anniversary of the first head injury).  And I feel younger (most of the time) than I have easily in the last 20 years (since that first head injury).  Of course that largely has to do with recently changing my eating habits, and starting to finally realize more of what I can and cannot manage any longer  e.g. limiting the number of posts I write that are longer than what most people here are willing to read anyway.  Doing that because the posts would use up what mental energy I have available to me which has routinely resulted in my having poorer judgment for what else I could manage.  So with my having limited what I write I now go 'less far' past my limits in general, more of the time.

But for me I can't remember the last time a birthday - or an age - 'meant something' to me.  It may have last been when I turned 21 (before that: 18, 13 ['teen-ager'], before that, nothing).

There are, occasionally, times where I'll look in the mirror and notice that I look 'older', but it doesn't really 'mean' anything to me.  I don't feel 'less' because of it.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 03:20:54 AM by LucasM »
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline Miku Fan

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 527
  • Just letting fly with a flat "douchebag"
« Reply #13085 on: February 07, 2015, 09:00:18 PM »
The good news is these other guys are making me feel young.

My ears are grizzled, my teeth are knackered, my eyes are old and bent (big nose!)
ミクさんは世界で一番お姫さま!

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4605
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #13086 on: February 08, 2015, 09:30:32 AM »
Why Did The Chicken Cross The Road?

SARAH PALIN: The chicken crossed the road because, gosh-darn it, he's a maverick!

BARACK OBAMA: Let me be perfectly clear, if the chickens like their eggs they can keep their eggs. No chicken will be required to cross the road to surrender her eggs. Period.

JOHN McCAIN: My friends, the chicken crossed the road because he recognized the need to engage in cooperation and dialogue with all the chickens on the other side of the road.

HILLARY CLINTON: What difference at this point does it make why the chicken crossed the road?

GEORGE W. BUSH: We don't really care why the chicken crossed the road. We just want to know if the chicken is on our side of the road or not. The chicken is either with us or against us. There is no middle ground here.

DICK CHENEY: Where's my gun?

BILL CLINTON: I did not cross the road with that chicken.

AL GORE: I invented the chicken.

JOHN KERRY: Although I voted to let the chicken cross the road, I am now against it! It was the wrong road to cross, and I was misled about the chicken's intentions. I am not for it now, and will remain against it.

AL SHARPTON: Why are all the chickens white?

DR. PHIL: The problem we have here is that this chicken won't realize that he must first deal with the problem on this side of the road before it goes after the problem on the other side of the road. What we need to do is help him realize how stupid he is acting by not taking on his current problems before adding any new problems.

OPRAH: Well, I understand that the chicken is having problems, which is why he wants to cross the road so badly. So instead of having the chicken learn from his mistakes and take falls, which is a part of life, I'm going to give this chicken a NEW CAR so that he can just drive across the road and not live his life like the rest of the chickens.

ANDERSON COOPER: We have reason to believe there is a chicken, but we have not yet been allowed to have access to the other side of the road.

NANCY GRACE: That chicken crossed the road because he's guilty! You can see it in his eyes and the way he walks.

PAT BUCHANAN: To steal the job of a decent, hardworking American.

MARTHA STEWART: No one called me to warn me which way the chicken was going. I had a standing order at the Farmer's Market to sell my eggs when the price dropped to a certain level. No little bird gave me any insider information.

DR SEUSS: Did the chicken cross the road? Did he cross it with a toad? Yes, the chicken crossed the road, but why it crossed I've not been told.

ERNEST HEMINGWAY: To die in the rain, alone.

GRANDPA: In my day we didn't ask why the chicken crossed the road. Somebody told us the chicken crossed the road, and that was good enough for us.

BARBARA WALTERS: Isn't that interesting? In a few moments, we will be listening to the chicken tell, for the first time, the heartwarming story of how it experienced a serious case of molting, and went on to accomplish its lifelong dream of crossing the road.

ARISTOTLE: It is the nature of chickens to cross the road.

BILL GATES: I have just released eChicken2014, which will not only cross roads, but will lay eggs, file your important documents and balance your checkbook. Internet Explorer is an integral part of eChicken2014. This new platform is much more stable and will never reboot.

ALBERT EINSTEIN: Did the chicken really cross the road, or did the road move beneath the chicken?

COLONEL SANDERS: Did I miss one?

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6326
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #13087 on: February 08, 2015, 10:07:41 AM »
I liked the Ernest Hemingway one best.

Soguru

« Reply #13088 on: February 08, 2015, 09:11:58 PM »
I've got my first ever psychiatrist appointment this coming Wednesday(With a real MD!), and I'm really looking forward to it. I really need some help dealing with my anxiety and depression. It's also meant to diagnose my conditions. You know what makes me angry is that I was doing okay with my life up until the beginning of this year then all of a sudden shit started to fall apart in my head again. I started thinking everyone was out to get me again, and to some extent I still do believe that even if it is irrational to the max. I don't understand why my mind can't choose being rational and logical over maniacally cynical.

Offline Miku Fan

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #13089 on: February 08, 2015, 09:26:55 PM »
I've got my first ever psychiatrist appointment this coming Wednesday(With a real MD!), and I'm really looking forward to it. I really need some help dealing with my anxiety and depression. It's also meant to diagnose my conditions. You know what makes me angry is that I was doing okay with my life up until the beginning of this year then all of a sudden shit started to fall apart in my head again. I started thinking everyone was out to get me again, and to some extent I still do believe that even if it is irrational to the max. I don't understand why my mind can't choose being rational and logical over maniacally cynical.

Good luck, Soguru!
          Be as honest as you can (don't be embarrassed), it will help them help you.   If you think you are going to be super anxious while talking to the doc, take notes with you, so you don't forget anything. 
         They might give you some medication, possibly an anti-depressant.  Be aware that this type of medication can take 6 weeks to start working.   It has to slowly build up in your system...hence the six weeks.
        After you see the psychiatrist, you might be referred to a psychologist.  That's normal...often times the psych is there to take care of your meds, and the psychologist does the therapy.  it's less expensive that way, too, as psychiatrists tend to charge more than therapists.

Anyway, I can see you don't like your illness, and that's the first sure sign you have what it takes to get better, that is, you are higly motivated to get better!  ROOTING FOR YOU!   :highfive:
ミクさんは世界で一番お姫さま!

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1457
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #13090 on: February 09, 2015, 01:24:03 AM »
Psychiatrists are more medication-based, I found a therapist much more helpful because you talk things out but hope it helps!  :)
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4992
« Reply #13091 on: February 09, 2015, 03:03:34 AM »

Good luck, Soguru!
          Be as honest as you can (don't be embarrassed), it will help them help you.   If you think you are going to be super anxious while talking to the doc, take notes with you, so you don't forget anything. 
         They might give you some medication, possibly an anti-depressant.  Be aware that this type of medication can take 6 weeks to start working.   It has to slowly build up in your system...hence the six weeks.
        After you see the psychiatrist, you might be referred to a psychologist.  That's normal...often times the psych is there to take care of your meds, and the psychologist does the therapy.  it's less expensive that way, too, as psychiatrists tend to charge more than therapists.

Anyway, I can see you don't like your illness, and that's the first sure sign you have what it takes to get better, that is, you are higly motivated to get better!  ROOTING FOR YOU!   :highfive:

Psychiatrists are more medication-based, I found a therapist much more helpful because you talk things out but hope it helps!  :)

I agree with both MikuFan and ScottotD.  Very good luck to you, Soguru.  It is often so difficult to admit that one needs help, and the fact that you are able to is a good starting sign which suggests the potential for progress and ultimately the alleviation of your symptoms.

[The one correction I'd make is for antidepressants, at least those that take 2-6 weeks to start working.  It is not that they need to build up in the body.  The reason that there is a delay before the positive effects are noticed is because the brain has multiple neurotransmitter systems.  In order to get a net decrease in the functioning of one (e.g. via the SSRIs) the synapses using that neurotransmitter have to be overstimulated consistently for a period of at least two weeks.  After the two week period, the receptor sites on the 'receiving' neurons begin to close off, so less signal ultimately gets through.  The reason it can take more than two weeks with some medications, or some symptom clusters, is because difficulties may not lie directly with that neurotransmitter system, but 'downstream' from it.  So first the primary transmitter system is affected by the medication (after two weeks), then the next one in line is changed (and it takes that one about two weeks to have its receptor sites either downregulated or upregulated), and so forth.  This actual method of functioning for these medications, from my interactions with them both as colleagues and since my injuries, is something even many Psychiatrists are not trained in, and so are unaware of (but which I had to learn for my biopsychology/physiopsychology minor while working on my PhD in Clinical Psych with the special focus in neuropsychology).]
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Soguru

« Reply #13092 on: February 09, 2015, 06:35:01 AM »
I have to be very careful about which anti-depressants I get. Some of them have had side effects that are worse than what I'm actually suffering from. I've never liked SSRI's, and the recent meds I've got from my doctor have done nothing but make me feel a bit droopy and that's about it. :P

Offline Miku Fan

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #13093 on: February 09, 2015, 07:05:42 AM »
Ah. I didn't realize you had tried them before. 
ミクさんは世界で一番お姫さま!

Soguru

« Reply #13094 on: February 09, 2015, 07:25:40 AM »
Ah. I didn't realize you had tried them before.
I have, I just haven't seen an actual psychiatrist before. There are some meds I've tried that are supposed to be like the BEST. There's one in particular that basically turned me into a sociopath. I was amazed how fast the change in attitude occurred in me. It was pretty scary. I don't want to ever feel that way again. Some meds will affect people in different ways, that's the only thing I can conclude.