Author Topic: Completely Random Thoughts  (Read 1807470 times)

Online The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4514
Re: Completely Random Thoughts
« Reply #13035 on: February 01, 2015, 08:40:29 PM »
Yup, well said, Lembach's video. F*ck off, Hollylick. Not counting Rifftrax, I haven't seen a movie in-theater since 2001. Peter Jackson was the last straw. *bows*
I don't know about that.  I enjoyed the Trilogy flaws and all.  Probably the best adaptation I've seen of the material.

Soguru

« Reply #13036 on: February 01, 2015, 11:40:58 PM »
I don't know about that.  I enjoyed the Trilogy flaws and all.  Probably the best adaptation I've seen of the material.
Oh I loved the Lord of the Rings movies as well. I thought it got tedious on occasion but it was probably about as good a movie series as those books are ever going to get. Tolkien as I understand knew the books would probably be never be made into movies and called them unsuitable for the process of dramatization. I have a hard time following books. There are many a time where I get lost in the narrative and I have no idea where the hell I am anymore. That's why I love movies. It's hard for me to get confused and lost watching most movies. Reading books just frustrates me to no end. It makes me feel so sad when I try to read, because it reminds me of my own flaws in my head.

Offline Miku Fan

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 527
  • Just letting fly with a flat "douchebag"
« Reply #13037 on: February 02, 2015, 12:12:07 AM »
Oh I loved the Lord of the Rings movies as well. I thought it got tedious on occasion but it was probably about as good a movie series as those books are ever going to get. Tolkien as I understand knew the books would probably be never be made into movies and called them unsuitable for the process of dramatization. I have a hard time following books. There are many a time where I get lost in the narrative and I have no idea where the hell I am anymore. That's why I love movies. It's hard for me to get confused and lost watching most movies. Reading books just frustrates me to no end. It makes me feel so sad when I try to read, because it reminds me of my own flaws in my head.

The reason I complain about PJ's version is based on my experience with the books.  They are the best books I have ever read. I probably read them 20 times over the years.

PJ's version added a lot of stuff that wasn't in the books. I understand that he has to cut things, to make the movies a reasonable length.  My gripe is he cut, and replaced with his own fiction.  And he's no J.R.R. Tolkien.

BBC Radio did a version of the The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. (It's available on CD from  "The Mind's Eye") They were about the same length as the movies.  They also cut things, for time, but they didn't add write their own version of the story   If Peter Jackson had done the same, I'd probably be calling these movies triumphant.  Instead, I'm cheesed, and yeah, there won't a "reboot" of LOTR for a century.

No matter, I have my CD version, and those are great, and don't require reading or watching. :)
ミクさんは世界で一番お姫さま!

Offline Miku Fan

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #13038 on: February 02, 2015, 12:14:15 AM »
Quote from: Lembach
No regrets. I would have paid triple and grinned the whole time for the lack of children alone. Plus, I got laid.  ;D
[/quote

I'm seriously considering using this as my signature.
ミクさんは世界で一番お姫さま!

Online The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4514
« Reply #13039 on: February 02, 2015, 06:22:06 AM »

The reason I complain about PJ's version is based on my experience with the books.  They are the best books I have ever read. I probably read them 20 times over the years.

PJ's version added a lot of stuff that wasn't in the books. I understand that he has to cut things, to make the movies a reasonable length.  My gripe is he cut, and replaced with his own fiction.  And he's no J.R.R. Tolkien.

BBC Radio did a version of the The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. (It's available on CD from  "The Mind's Eye") They were about the same length as the movies.  They also cut things, for time, but they didn't add write their own version of the story   If Peter Jackson had done the same, I'd probably be calling these movies triumphant.  Instead, I'm cheesed, and yeah, there won't a "reboot" of LOTR for a century.

No matter, I have my CD version, and those are great, and don't require reading or watching. :)
True, but sometimes you have to fill in the gaps that you made with other stuff for the sake of the narrative.  Otherwise those gaps turn into plot holes.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2666
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #13040 on: February 02, 2015, 08:41:54 AM »
There's also a big difference between doing a radio play and a movie.  For example having a narrator is fine in a radio play, pretty much always sucks to have a narrator in a movie...

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3569
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #13041 on: February 02, 2015, 04:47:40 PM »
What's the deal with Shriners?

Online Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1547
« Reply #13042 on: February 02, 2015, 06:19:45 PM »
Getting on a 15 hour flight to New Zealand for our honeymoon! See you guys in two weeks.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #13043 on: February 02, 2015, 06:29:06 PM »
Getting on a 15 hour flight to New Zealand for our honeymoon! See you guys in two weeks.

Can't afford a hotel?
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Miku Fan

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #13044 on: February 02, 2015, 06:39:06 PM »

Can't afford a hotel?

LOL!   Happy honeymoon, Cells!    :clap:
ミクさんは世界で一番お姫さま!

Offline Lembach

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 8272
  • Hormel Batch Master
« Reply #13045 on: February 02, 2015, 09:48:23 PM »

Something about hats and little cars.

And the pelting of hard candies.

Offline Miku Fan

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #13046 on: February 02, 2015, 11:12:33 PM »

Something about hats and little cars.

And the pelting of hard candies.

And the selling of pancakes.
ミクさんは世界で一番お姫さま!

jonalame

« Reply #13047 on: February 03, 2015, 12:02:23 AM »
The Royal Order of the Water Buffalo? Never heard of it.

OR

The whole thing is in devotion to Morocco Mole.

You decide!

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2654
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #13048 on: February 03, 2015, 02:18:56 AM »
My son thinks the letter 'E' is pronounced 'F-no-E.'
FINE

Quantum Vagina