Author Topic: Completely Random Thoughts  (Read 1809032 times)

Offline Miku Fan

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 527
  • Just letting fly with a flat "douchebag"
Re: Completely Random Thoughts
« Reply #12465 on: November 07, 2014, 05:40:00 AM »
You'd prefer how sterile and dull shops and stuff normally look to Christmassy decorations?

I was going to explain that some of us in the US don't like to jump straight from Halloween to Christmas, because Thanksgiving falls between them.  But, Sideswipe shot that down before I could post...
ミクさんは世界で一番お姫さま!

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2052
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #12466 on: November 07, 2014, 05:40:59 AM »
You are welcome.

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.

Offline Miku Fan

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #12467 on: November 07, 2014, 05:42:46 AM »
Originally? Cork.
Most of my formative years though? Stratford (long family connection there too, one of my ancestors drowned in the Avon and is memorialised opposite Bill Shakes).

Ah, OK.  Boxing Day certainly sounds British. But Krampusnacht sounds German. So, I was confused.
ミクさんは世界で一番お姫さま!

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #12468 on: November 07, 2014, 05:43:12 AM »
You'd prefer how sterile and dull shops and stuff normally look to Christmassy decorations?

I was going to explain that some of us in the US don't like to jump straight from Halloween to Christmas, because Thanksgiving falls between them.  But, Sideswipe shot that down before I could post...
Nah the statement  "some of us in the US don't like to jump straight from Halloween to Christmas, because Thanksgiving falls between them" still holds; not everyone is a grumpy bugger like Swipes. :)

Offline Miku Fan

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #12469 on: November 07, 2014, 05:44:13 AM »
You are welcome.

Besides being an utter ass, you are an extremely funny guy.  :highfive:
ミクさんは世界で一番お姫さま!

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #12470 on: November 07, 2014, 05:45:17 AM »
Originally? Cork.
Most of my formative years though? Stratford (long family connection there too, one of my ancestors drowned in the Avon and is memorialised opposite Bill Shakes).

Ah, OK.  Boxing Day certainly sounds British. But Krampusnacht sounds German. So, I was confused.
Oh yeah I'm utterly syncretic in my holidays, St Lucy's is mostly Scandinavian too, and I consider Dec 25th to be Dionysus' Birthday (he's one of my personal gods) like I said:

Eh, the more holidays the better.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2386
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #12471 on: November 07, 2014, 05:45:29 AM »
Thanksgiving doesn't mean much to me right now because we're pretty separated from most of our family and neither Erica or I do much cooking.  She does enjoy baking deserts, which works out great when someone else is providing the rest of the meal.

When we are around family, I love Thanksgiving and all the normal celebrations.  As it is this year, it'll probably just be the beginning of a nice long weekend, which is also good.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2052
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #12472 on: November 07, 2014, 05:49:43 AM »
You are welcome.

Besides being an utter ass, you are an extremely funny guy.  :highfive:

Cant agrue with that.

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.

Offline Miku Fan

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #12473 on: November 07, 2014, 05:50:37 AM »
Thanksgiving doesn't mean much to me right now because we're pretty separated from most of our family and neither Erica or I do much cooking.  She does enjoy baking deserts, which works out great when someone else is providing the rest of the meal.

When we are around family, I love Thanksgiving and all the normal celebrations.  As it is this year, it'll probably just be the beginning of a nice long weekend, which is also good.

I'm the life-long bachelor in my family. So, Thanksgiving is a mixed deal for me. My family(sister/in-laws) feels obligated to have me over. Sometimes, I don't mind. 

Sometimes, I want to be in charge (stay at home by myself). On those occasions, I go buy picnic food- fried chicken, potato salad, baked beans, etc, and my cat and I pig out. I enjoy that. Don't know why, but I crave summer picnic food on Thanksgiving!

But, the family feels offended that I declined their "mandatory invitation", and I have to repeatedly explain that I'm not offended nor avoiding them.

So, generally like it, but hate the obligations.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 05:52:58 AM by Miku Fan »
ミクさんは世界で一番お姫さま!

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #12474 on: November 07, 2014, 05:52:32 AM »
But Krampusnacht sounds German.
More Austrian really, certainly Alpine mostly. I love Krampus though, did a whole List O'Crap featuring him a while back.

Offline Miku Fan

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #12475 on: November 07, 2014, 05:54:16 AM »
I can't remember much of my two years in Germany. Opiated Jaegermeister was still legal back then.  :speechless:
ミクさんは世界で一番お姫さま!

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #12476 on: November 07, 2014, 05:56:36 AM »
Germany is awesome, shame the nasty uniballed little Austrian tainted people's views of the place.

Offline Miku Fan

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #12477 on: November 07, 2014, 05:59:50 AM »
Germany is awesome, shame the nasty uniballed little Austrian tainted people's views of the place.

No doubt.  As I like to say to my German friends, if the subject arises, the German people were his first and last victims.  I don't think of him at all, when around Germans. I'm not Basil Fawlty.  ;D
ミクさんは世界で一番お姫さま!

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #12478 on: November 07, 2014, 06:57:40 AM »
Thanksgiving seems like a thing that should be apologized for instead of celebrated but I'm sure it's not the actual day people bought a country for beads(?) and/or tried very early germ warfare on the Native population so someone on here will angrily correct me.  What are Thanksgiving decorations that you think should be before Xmas ones?

I think Nikki Minaj is brilliant.

I agree, she's built her brand up pretty bloody well, she's probably pretty smart, or surrounding her self with some smart people, possibly even both.

Exactly, it took a while for people to acknowledge the same for Lady Gaga, Madonna, etc though I guess

I'll keep an open enough mind that if she produces any music I can stand I'll acknowledge it, but so far everything I've heard from her is grating and horrible to me.

Her verse on Monster is a good starting place but I'm not sure how you not enjoying her art would prevent you from appreciating her a a great artist, there's a lot of visual and/or musical artists who's work doesn't grab me directly whose skill I can appreciate. 
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #12479 on: November 07, 2014, 07:02:34 AM »
Thanksgiving seems like a thing that should be apologized for instead of celebrated but I'm sure it's not the actual day people bought a country for beads(?) and/or tried very early germ warfare on the Native population so someone on here will angrily correct me. 
It's basically a Harvest Festival, a lot of countries have them (indeed Canada has its own Thanksgiving day with an entirely different history), you're mostly thinking of Columbus Day there. :)

As for the decorations you know Turkeys, pumpkins, ears of corn, Harvest Festival type things.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 07:04:53 AM by Tripe »