Author Topic: Completely Random Thoughts  (Read 1806898 times)

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2052
  • Look at me!!
Re: Completely Random Thoughts
« Reply #11295 on: July 14, 2014, 09:55:13 AM »
Are you talking about me?

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #11296 on: July 14, 2014, 09:57:20 AM »
Every generation has been worse than the one before

I don't think any generation since the baby boomers have been anywhere near as bad as that pestilence, possibly because they refuse to give up ruling and fucking the world but my point stands.
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline RandyMistie

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 116
  • Hello!
« Reply #11297 on: July 14, 2014, 10:05:37 AM »
I like George Carlin too, but Swipe makes a lot of valid points.

His viewpoint that history has led to this is kind of wrong though. We aren't the pinnacle, we're just what's happening now.

Imrahil throws down some really deep shit on us. I can't pretend to understand it. But, I will say this... my viewpoint is that the pinnacle was about 2000 years ago, and that now we are on a severe, downward spiral to extinction.

(excuse my typing, my fingernails are really long and often I hit several keys at once.)

Kansas, "The Pinnacle" YouTube link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzg3DFsnH3I

Rev. Randy

Hi!  I'm Randy and I'm a Riffaholic...

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #11298 on: July 14, 2014, 10:12:45 AM »
Ah, talking to Randy.

Randy, what the flaming fuck are you talking about?  The pinnacle of human civilization was 2000 years ago?  That is complete buffoonary!

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6870
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #11299 on: July 14, 2014, 10:15:30 AM »
Entropy. The Center will not hold.

if that centre is in an isolated thermodynamic system, then sure. otherwise you're wildly misusing a concept of physics, and that i cannot abide.
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #11300 on: July 14, 2014, 10:17:36 AM »
No, I was talking to 'wipe.  It's as big a fallacy to say "it's all been leading up to us" as it is to say "It used to be way better back then."

Thats not at all what I said.

Offline RandyMistie

• Hello!
« Reply #11301 on: July 14, 2014, 10:31:14 AM »
Yes. I understand the "nostalgia" nonsense. Conservatives are always saying how great it was "back in the good old days", there were no good old days, is the secret.

Pick a time in Western history when it was a "good" time to be a woman. Or, a black man, A gay man? A Witch? Or, a Jew.... We might say now, but there is a rise in anti-Semitism throughout Europe, the rise in the tea party makes it hard to be gay or a Witch... and racism is at a silent, but deadly, all time high.

The root of these things is forgetting history. We are repeating it. Who said, "History is a nightmare from which we cannot awake!"?

Offline Nobody

• Liked: 617
« Reply #11302 on: July 14, 2014, 10:56:34 AM »
Pick a time in Western history when it was a "good" time to be a woman. Or, a black man, A gay man? A Witch? Or, a Jew.... We might say now, but there is a rise in anti-Semitism throughout Europe, the rise in the tea party makes it hard to be gay or a Witch... and racism is at a silent, but deadly, all time high.
Yeah, it's so much better for gays and Jews (and more) in the Middle East...

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2660
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #11303 on: July 14, 2014, 11:10:00 AM »
While I agree we are heading for an epic, ugly, painful fall, I disagree on the pinnacle idea.  We are at the peak now, and will continue there until the fall.  We are fairly close to the edge now, technology will keep us on it for a while, but eventually there will be a combination of natural and man made events that will disrupt food production and distribution, then the fall will come.

I love the "fit everyone in Texas with the population density of NYC" argument.  They forget that there is a large area around NYC that supports it, pumping in supplies.  Expand NYC to the size of Texas and you would still need the rest of the planet built up enough to generate the supplies needed.  Getting them into the massive city would be a challenge, and getting all the waste out.

Of course that would be a far more efficient way to support a large population, turn the sprawling suburbs that used to be farm land back into farm land.  I see it driving around south Jersey a lot, one year there are acres of crops and the next year huge single family homes going up.  That is what will lead to the fall, continue to wipe out farmland in favor of housing that only holds a few people, eventually supply lines will be on the edge and incapable of recovering from just the right set of interruptions.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #11304 on: July 14, 2014, 11:11:09 AM »

Are you and Randy seeing a whole bunch of posts I'm not or are you just replying to posts on here with conversations you started at work last week?
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline RandyMistie

• Hello!
« Reply #11305 on: July 14, 2014, 11:11:30 AM »
Ah, talking to Randy.

Randy, what the flaming fuck are you talking about?  The pinnacle of human civilization was 2000 years ago?  That is complete buffoonary!

Swipe, don't worry your pretty head about stuff. With my magical powers of magic, I am sending shirtless, blonde chicks in your direction! Don't marry any of them! I can see in the cards very bad things if you marry a blonde girl.

A red-head or any of the apricot color haired women you can marry.... have sex with blondes, but do not marry them!

He's not listening..... As soon as he read "have sex with blondes" he checked out...

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3897
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #11306 on: July 14, 2014, 11:13:59 AM »
Ah, talking to Randy.

Swipe, don't worry your pretty head about stuff. With my magical powers of magic, I am sending shirtless, blonde chicks in your direction! Don't marry any of them! I can see in the cards very bad things if you marry a blonde girl.

A red-head or any of the apricot color haired women you can marry.... have sex with blondes, but do not marry them!

He's not listening..... As soon as he read "have sex with blondes" he checked out...
Don't sweat the petty things and Don't pet the sweaty things :o

Offline RandyMistie

• Hello!
« Reply #11307 on: July 14, 2014, 11:24:47 AM »
While I agree we are heading for an epic, ugly, painful fall, I disagree on the pinnacle idea.  We are at the peak now, and will continue there until the fall.  We are fairly close to the edge now, technology will keep us on it for a while, but eventually there will be a combination of natural and man made events that will disrupt food production and distribution, then the fall will come.

I love the "fit everyone in Texas with the population density of NYC" argument.  They forget that there is a large area around NYC that supports it, pumping in supplies.  Expand NYC to the size of Texas and you would still need the rest of the planet built up enough to generate the supplies needed.  Getting them into the massive city would be a challenge, and getting all the waste out.

Of course that would be a far more efficient way to support a large population, turn the sprawling suburbs that used to be farm land back into farm land.  I see it driving around south Jersey a lot, one year there are acres of crops and the next year huge single family homes going up.  That is what will lead to the fall, continue to wipe out farmland in favor of housing that only holds a few people, eventually supply lines will be on the edge and incapable of recovering from just the right set of interruptions.

Well... yes... you put it very well.

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #11308 on: July 14, 2014, 11:27:18 AM »
Ah, talking to Randy.

Actually, I do have kind of a weakness for red heads...

Offline Nobody

• Liked: 617
« Reply #11309 on: July 14, 2014, 11:31:21 AM »

I don't think it was intended to say a Texas sized mega city was feasible.  It is meant to point out that the world can handle humanity, we just need to be smarter about resources.  We are an innovative species and can handle population growth.

Are you and Randy seeing a whole bunch of posts I'm not or are you just replying to posts on here with conversations you started at work last week?
I think Randy threw that out randomly, and I responded not-so-randomly.  I hope it's understood I was being sarcastic.