Author Topic: Completely Random Thoughts  (Read 1898311 times)

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2054
  • Look at me!!
Re: Completely Random Thoughts
« Reply #11010 on: June 22, 2014, 05:56:47 PM »
YOOOOORS WORLD HES THE MAN!

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.

Offline The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4870
« Reply #11011 on: June 22, 2014, 05:58:51 PM »
The most genocidal of heroes.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4444
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #11012 on: June 22, 2014, 06:00:30 PM »
Because Yor spelled backwards is Roy :-X

Offline d00hickey

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 478
  • Rohan Stan the Jelly Man
« Reply #11013 on: June 22, 2014, 06:33:37 PM »
Shawshank, is one of those movies that, even if you've seen it a dozen times, even if you have it on DVD, when you are flipping through the cable channels, and it pops up, no matter where it is in the story, you have to watch it through.

For me, it is also "Apollo 13" or "The Perfect Storm".

For me, "The Perfect Storm", I always pray to myself, "...this time they will make it!!! DAMN that Ice machine!" But, that may just be me...

I've never seen either Apollo 13 or the Perfect Storm.

Ditto OR Shawshank Redemption.

I saw that in college. I liked it well enough, but don't ever need to see it again. Same with American Beauty. Glad I saw it once; don't need to revisit it.

I think I just don't actually like movies very much.

Both Shawshank and American Beauty are like that for me, also ET and the Shining. 

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2914
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #11014 on: June 22, 2014, 06:40:10 PM »
I can't stand ET, SNOOOOORRRREEE.

The Shining is fantastic though. (But only because it was made in a way that King didn't approve of)
FINE

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 2920
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #11015 on: June 22, 2014, 07:15:33 PM »
I can't stand ET, SNOOOOORRRREEE.

The Shining is fantastic though. (But only because it was made in a way that King didn't approve of)

I'm meh on ET, it's OK, just don't think it's as great as most people say it is.  I'm not even sure I've watched it all the way through more than once, I think I still have it on VHS, never got it on DVD or Blu-Ray.

Well, The Shining is great due to pretty much everything except the script.  Watching that on Blu-Ray on a big screen with surround sound is a treat.

Apollo 13 is great, really well done on every level.

As for Shawshank, I've watched it a few times, it's got great acting, pretty good story, but I think what keeps me from saying it's great is the fact that in the entire prison there seem to be more bad guards and officials than there are bad prisoners.  I guess I can't buy into the romanticized view it puts forth.

Never seen The Perfect Storm, for some reason never have had any interest in it.

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 7129
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #11016 on: June 22, 2014, 07:44:51 PM »
boulder, you have a wonderful mexican restaurant in casa alvarez.
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline Nobody

• Liked: 617
« Reply #11017 on: June 22, 2014, 08:02:35 PM »
Shawshank is one of the best movies I've ever seen.  The only bad thing that came out of it is that so many of Morgan Freeman's movies after it have a shoehorned VoiceOver.  Yes, he's good at it, but narration is a movie device that should be used sparingly.

Offline d00hickey

• Liked: 478
  • Rohan Stan the Jelly Man
« Reply #11018 on: June 22, 2014, 09:02:45 PM »
Do you every worry that you dress like your in the wrong decade?

I often see people with big hair sprayed hair, or jean jackets and think they look like they just walked out of the early nineties. Looking at my clothes I release I prefer loose fitting clothes, I even have a few pairs of cargo pants. New "hip" styles suggest that tight clothing and things like v necks are more popular.   

Offline RandyMistie

• Liked: 124
  • Hello!
« Reply #11019 on: June 22, 2014, 09:04:17 PM »
Shawshank is one of the best movies I've ever seen.  The only bad thing that came out of it is that so many of Morgan Freeman's movies after it have a shoehorned VoiceOver.  Yes, he's good at it, but narration is a movie device that should be used sparingly.

Agreed. Still, Morgan Freeman, I could listen to him read the phone-book. I get what you mean though, too many producers/writers/etc... if they are lucky enough to get Morgan for their little movie, they force voice-overs for him... because it worked so well in Shawshank, I guess.

But many screenwriters say and have said throughout the movie bid'ness, "voice-over is lazy writing...." Sometimes that is true, but sometimes it works. I think it did in Shawshank...
Hi!  I'm Randy and I'm a Riffaholic...

Offline RandyMistie

• Hello!
« Reply #11020 on: June 22, 2014, 09:14:09 PM »
Do you every worry that you dress like your in the wrong decade?

I often see people with big hair sprayed hair, or jean jackets and think they look like they just walked out of the early nineties. Looking at my clothes I release I prefer loose fitting clothes, I even have a few pairs of cargo pants. New "hip" styles suggest that tight clothing and things like v necks are more popular.   

I'm from Jersey, so we are pretty much stuck in the 80's, but I am a long haired, all black wearing, goth, and have been since I was 16 and that was... '79(?), and they didn't even have a word for it then. I was goth before it was goth... I guess...

But, yeah, big haired girls here and mulleted dudes... apparently in Jersey, leopard skin prints never go out of style... as well as lycra.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4937
« Reply #11021 on: June 22, 2014, 09:18:41 PM »
A very interesting thing about Morgan Freeman:

On The Late Late Show With Craig Ferguson, the person voicing the sidekick (sidekick being 'Geoff Peterson' a 'gay robot skeleton' [the mechanical part created by Grant Imahara from MythBusters, someone else does the voice and operates the remote-controlled figure]) does a superb Morgan Freeman impression.  Freeman was on the show, 'Geoff' did his impression, and Morgan Freeman initially thought it was a recording of his own voice. ;D  He was impressed when Geoff then said something that could not have been prepped for.

By the way, does anyone else remember Freeman from his Electric Company days?  I always thought he was a standout on that show as 'Easy Reader', kinda' knew he was 'going places' he had such incredible presence and even the Freeman voice rang out from the (comparatively) tinny little speakers of those days.
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline RandyMistie

• Hello!
« Reply #11022 on: June 22, 2014, 09:24:33 PM »
Yes of course, I remember Morgan Freeman on "The Electric Company" as well as Rita Moreno, "HEY YOU GUYS!!!"

I loved The Electric Company as a kid....

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2914
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #11023 on: June 22, 2014, 09:29:09 PM »
Spider-Man was the real standout. Whatever happened to him?
FINE

Offline Lembach

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 8272
  • Hormel Batch Master
« Reply #11024 on: June 22, 2014, 09:42:02 PM »
Shawshank is one of my favorite movies.

Apollo 13 - I saw once and appreciate the ingenuity those astronauts used. Other than that, I see no need to watch it again.

Perfect Storm - okay, bad storm and some fishermen drowned. Tragic, but men have been dying at sea since we hollowed out trees for canoes. Why make a movie about this one?