Author Topic: Completely Random Thoughts  (Read 1808365 times)

Offline Nobody

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 617
Re: Completely Random Thoughts
« Reply #10095 on: February 10, 2014, 03:21:07 AM »
Just reading about the 'Brony' kid who tried to kill himself due to bullying and homophobia, I'll never understand why someone's interests/fandom/tastes is any of anyone else's business let alone something to be even slightly bothered about. 

People need to enjoy what makes THEM happy instead of worrying about 'approving' of what makes other people happy, honestly I think if you're past puberty (where you get a bit of a pass to behave like a dick) ranting about any entertainment is something that should make you think about your life and priorities in general.
Sometimes, teenaged assholes never progress past that stage.

Offline Lembach

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 8272
  • Hormel Batch Master
« Reply #10096 on: February 10, 2014, 03:34:14 AM »
I'm watching the Mythbusters "Battle of The Sexes - Round 2" episode. There is a definite skew on the genders being equal in ability unless women average better in something.

Then Tory makes an offhand comment and Kari hauls off and special effects punches him with boxing gloves. And I can't help but think that you would never see that scene reversed with Tory hitting Kari. Ever.

I just thought it was odd in an episode that centers around equality.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #10097 on: February 10, 2014, 03:54:11 AM »
Oh, sure, projectile vomiting looks cool in the movies...

My family has all had a terrible gastro bug all this weekend. I guess it looks kind of cool in person too.

You and pretty much everyone I know in WA this week, it's crazy.
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2654
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #10098 on: February 10, 2014, 04:26:18 AM »
Oh, sure, projectile vomiting looks cool in the movies...

My family has all had a terrible gastro bug all this weekend. I guess it looks kind of cool in person too.

You and pretty much everyone I know in WA this week, it's crazy.

If I were you, I wouldn't leave the house unless I had to, and only then in a giant, plastic bubble.
FINE

Offline anais.butterfly

• Liked: 1382
  • Monkey Brains!
« Reply #10099 on: February 10, 2014, 05:30:44 AM »
Just reading about the 'Brony' kid who tried to kill himself due to bullying and homophobia, I'll never understand why someone's interests/fandom/tastes is any of anyone else's business let alone something to be even slightly bothered about.

honestly I think if you're past puberty (where you get a bit of a pass to behave like a dick) ranting about any entertainment is something that should make you think about your life and priorities in general.

That kind of goes against the entire point of this forum (specifically, every Star Trek thread ever created). I don't think anyone is acting like a dick when they talk about what they love.

And I personally find it disgusting when people hate on Bronys for bullshit reasons. Wurwolf, for example (I know that is like sort of calling her out, but I really feel strongly. It is the only part of her personality I don't like).

People can like what they like, and they can talk about it as often as they want. If I don't like what you are saying, that is why I have the ability to ignore you.

If you (not Scott, a generic you) are so upset about a person talking about what they like that you feel the need to lash out...what about taking a look at those priorities...
Anais is the Coolest Butterfly I know  ;D

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
    • Facebook
« Reply #10100 on: February 10, 2014, 05:43:29 AM »

honestly I think if you're past puberty (where you get a bit of a pass to behave like a dick) ranting about any entertainment is something that should make you think about your life and priorities in general.

That kind of goes against the entire point of this forum (specifically, every Star Trek thread ever created). I don't think anyone is acting like a dick when they talk about what they love.

Sorry, I meant ranting against entertainment.  Seems like we're on the same page.
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2386
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #10101 on: February 10, 2014, 07:17:49 AM »

Sorry, I meant ranting against entertainment.  Seems like we're on the same page.

That's the impression I get, I think you're both being disgusted by the same thing (the bullying by assholes).

I haven't heard any updates on that story, I really hope the kid pulls through.  If he does, I know the fandom is going to be quick to support the living hell out of him.  Bronies rock when it comes to helping and defending thier own.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline anais.butterfly

• Monkey Brains!
« Reply #10102 on: February 10, 2014, 07:30:10 AM »

Oh....well that makes more sense.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4662
« Reply #10103 on: February 10, 2014, 12:05:19 PM »
And it's not so much ranting about or against any particular entertainment, but putting pressure on and shaming people who like that entertainment (which I believe is what anais was basically adding).

Unfortunately, shortly[?] after my third head injury, at a video store I ran into a parent bullying a kid about what he wanted to see and because my brain was so overloaded to begin with, I couldn't say anything.  The boy was maybe 5 and his father was (supposedly) letting him pick out what he wanted to watch.  The little boy excitedly saw the newly-released Powerpuff Girls movie [series co-created by the person who went on to do My Little Ponies: FiM] and said he wanted that.  The father was a real dick and said, "you don't want that: that's a girrrls movie."  Making it clear there was something wrong with the little boy for even thinking it.  The little kid looked ashamed (clearly withdrew, his enthusiasm for anything crushed, and with his head bowed, and just kind of glancing up at me quickly because I was standing right there [probably now thinking I was thinking the same thing as the father; his father had already walked away]).  I was right there and felt for the kid, but I couldn't function enough to think, much less say what I later really wish I had, which was, "I like that show too: it's really clever!" :(

That has bugged me since.  Almost as much that I couldn't act, as that the father was the asshole he was - all it takes to undo a LOT of that damage is ONE person to contradict that kind of bullying sometimes.  And a same-sex 'outsider' supporting a kid against a damaging same-sex parent can do wonders for a kid's barriers against similar shit from their parents in the future: knowing that there are people with different views that are OK with what they like.

It still bothers me I couldn't say anything at the time.  That kid is now probably just a little older than the one that tried to kill themself recently for the brony bullying.  [Just looked the recent one up.]  At least the one who tried recently had the support of his parents, this kid didn't (at least not his father).
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline anais.butterfly

• Monkey Brains!
« Reply #10104 on: February 10, 2014, 07:26:03 PM »
Can one "pop some tags" if the clothing is new? Because I don't buy used clothes.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2386
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #10105 on: February 10, 2014, 07:29:13 PM »
Can one "pop some tags" if the clothing is new? Because I don't buy used clothes.

I never even heard that expression until that Macklemore song was everywhere and I'm still not 100% sure what it means.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline Malt

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 89
« Reply #10106 on: February 10, 2014, 09:58:29 PM »
I quit smoking in January, but I've been buying cheap cigars every few days. Just when I think I've quit for good, I go buy a cigar to reward myself. Think it's time to stop doing that now.

Offline Nobody

• Liked: 617
« Reply #10107 on: February 10, 2014, 11:29:18 PM »
I've been trying to lose weight.  Every time I drop a pound, I reward myself with a snickers bar...

Sorry Malt, I'm in a smart ass kind of mood.   :)

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
    • Facebook
« Reply #10108 on: February 10, 2014, 11:32:44 PM »
I've been trying to lose weight.  Every time I drop a pound, I reward myself with a snickers bar...

Sorry Malt, I'm in a smart ass kind of mood.   :)

I actually do this, I went without junk food and alchohol for 2 weeks so rewarded myself with a huge chinese dinner and a bottle of vodka which has me spiralling back into bad habits again.
Scottotd on Instagram

Offline Malt

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 89
« Reply #10109 on: February 11, 2014, 12:09:55 AM »
It's no big deal really. I was at almost 2 packs a day for at least 10 years, so the fact that I'm able to go 2 whole days without any real cravings whatsoever proves to me that I'm done and it's not even really an issue.

I just made the first post because I know if say (or write) that I'm going to do something it makes it easier to stick to that decision, as opposed to just keeping it to myself.

Also there was at least some ironic humor intended, but I seem to usually get misinterpreted when I do that. 
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 01:14:58 AM by Malt Dismal »