login

Author Topic: Cavemen (ABC)  (Read 5981 times)

Offline AmandaGal

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 14
  • Every new beginning starts with an end
    • Little Rock Information
Re: Cavemen (ABC)
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2007, 09:52:42 PM »
I remember when I was a kid and a show about animatronic dinosaurs was a prime time hit. Why not Geico cavemen?

Personally, not having seen the show but ready to pass judgement anyway, I think it's ridiculous that a Geico ad that annoys me beyond all possibility spawned a hit show.  It makes me want to throw my TV in a river. 

On the other hand, if you guys say it's funny, I might be wrong.  You generally do have decent taste.  Maybe I'll give it a look before I toss the TV.
�mike5150� how tall are you?.....in gallons?

Offline Minnesota

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 4
  • Twins Territory
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2007, 11:07:35 PM »
I like the Geico ads ... if you find those annoying then you should probably avoid the show. True, the show has plot and story, but at its core it shares the same sense of humor.

What dinosaur show are you talking about? wouldn't happen to be Dinosaurs would it? http://imdb.com/title/tt0101081/ - man what a crazy show, even today I don't know what to make of it.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3149
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2007, 11:52:49 PM »
Dinosaurs was ahead of its time. I can't judge Cavemen if I haven't seen it, but I can't see how it wouldn't get a little one-note.

Offline AmandaGal

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 14
  • Every new beginning starts with an end
    • Little Rock Information
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2007, 02:51:02 AM »
It was Dinosaurs.  I liked it back then but I was a kid.

There's humor in the ads?  ;)
�mike5150� how tall are you?.....in gallons?

Offline BEERxTaco

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 25
  • Does this bug you? I'm not touching you...
    • BEERx
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2007, 07:17:55 AM »
See, lots of people haven't watched it because they think it's just a long commercial, but it has absolutely nothing to do with the commercials, except the fact that the main characters are cavemen. The concept that cavemen are just like us, and have always been around, is a stretch, sure, but I'm telling you, these guys make you forget that they are cavemen. Nick (the one with the glasses) has been working on his PhD for 4 yeras and has been sponging off his roommate the whole time. He's by far the most interesting character so far. Sarcastic, smarmy, intelligent and self-indulgent.  The last two episodes have been far and away much better than the first two. The writing is top-notch.

Give it a try. I'm telling you, it's the new Seinfeld  :D

ps Junkyard's avatar is a cicada, lol
"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son"
-Dean Wormer, Animal House R.I.P.

Offline kodiakthejuggler

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 0
  • >Insert Obscure Reference<
    • It's All Geek To Me
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2007, 07:45:26 AM »

The problem creeps in when I associate with people who are completely inured to the constant inundation of obnoxious sights and sounds and insinuations implicit or explicit in these adverts (who the fuck are they to tell me that I want a bag of chips that have both bleu cheese AND buffalo sauce in them? Do I -look- like that kind of a person? etc.).  My fiancee loves tv, and seems to zone out, which means she doesn't change the channel when commercials are on, and that makes me all fidgety, like electric ants are crawling on my nerves. We hates it, preciousss...fchthhh!

This reminds me of a certain Jerry Lewis movie, I can't remember which one, in which there is an old woman who has nothing to do all day but watch TV. As the different commercials play, she holds in her hand that very product, as if she's been brainwashed to use them when the commercial comes on the tube, such as cigarettes and coffee, etc.

Offline kodiakthejuggler

• Dragon Ryder
    • It's All Geek To Me
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2007, 07:59:23 AM »
It was Dinosaurs.  I liked it back then but I was a kid.

There's humor in the ads?  ;)

Ahh, Dinosaurs. What a wonderful show that was! The puppetry and animatronics were top notch, and the characters were perfect! It was essentially The Simpsons, only animatronic puppet dinosaurs! It was a family favorite in my house when it first came on. We wouldn't miss a single episode!! That is, until it got preachy. The humor went right out the window, and the show became a boring whinefest. Sheesh.

Offline SmilinJackRoss

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 5
    • Heated Seats iRiffs
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2007, 08:20:30 AM »
I have not seen the show, but I want to...unfortunately I don't really watch network TV all that much.  I have found it impossible to remember to watch a show.  If it's on when I happen to be flicking by, great.  But otherwise, I just cannot remember to tune in.

Regardless, I think the Caveman ads are really funny.  What's not to like about two cavemen hardballing a Geico rep over an expensive lunch meeting:
"I'll have the Roast Duck."
"I don't have much of an appetite, thank you."

Makes me laugh, which is more than I can say about most other crap out there today.  Why not turn this into a series?  I'm with Minnesota, I don't understand the hate for this at all.
Heated Seats iRiffs: Touched by an Angel | Marked for Death | Runaway | Heated Shorts (shorts collection)

Offline BEERxTaco

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 25
  • Does this bug you? I'm not touching you...
    • BEERx
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2007, 08:22:12 AM »
You are in serious need of a DVR  ;)
"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son"
-Dean Wormer, Animal House R.I.P.

Offline SmilinJackRoss

• Mayor of Nilbog
    • Heated Seats iRiffs
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2007, 08:32:55 AM »
You are in serious need of a DVR  ;)

Tell me about it.
Heated Seats iRiffs: Touched by an Angel | Marked for Death | Runaway | Heated Shorts (shorts collection)

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2052
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2007, 08:39:14 AM »
yeah, Im in need of one of those newfangled dvrs too.

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.

Offline kodiakthejuggler

• Dragon Ryder
    • It's All Geek To Me
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2007, 08:45:25 AM »
Lousy kids with their Color TVs and their DVRs and their YouTubeses....

who can keep up???

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2007, 09:50:25 AM »
Though it's worth considering that somebody who doesn't have a DVR that affixes to their TV might find it also a bit banjaxing to go through the process of making their computer do the job of a DVR.

Offline SmilinJackRoss

• Mayor of Nilbog
    • Heated Seats iRiffs
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2007, 10:22:50 AM »
I couldn't be less interested in having my computer hooked up to my TV.  If it was really important to me, I would just get a real DVR.  I have Dish Network, so all it would take is one phone call.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2007, 10:39:13 AM »
I didn't mean hook it up to a tv. My computer -is- my TV right now.

And that was what I was talking about.