login

Author Topic: $399 PS3 confirmed for North America  (Read 7212 times)

Offline James of LinHood

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 2
  • Romans 12:2
    • The Facebookz
Re: $399 PS3 confirmed for North America
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2007, 03:56:56 AM »
I want to get a 360 since there's a lot of games on it I want to play and it's cheaper than a PC upgrade.  I really like that Live has the flexability and power of PC multiplayer but few of the crap you have to deal with.  Older games with few good servers, cheaters, custom games with ridiculous and unfun server-side mods, etc.  The chat is annoying because of immature asshats, but it's also much better than setting up teamspeak.

Plus the added bonus of having to pay a subscription fee every month! ;)

Yeah but XBL only costs $50.00 a year.  That breaks down to $4.17 per month.  And that lets you play all of your XBL compatible games online.  I think that's a much better deal than spending $15.00 per month on a single MMORPG.

You're right.  They are already hard at work on the Xbox 3, which will most likely run on HD DVDs.  I couldn't find the better article I read, but here's something that has a tad more credit than me  http://www.gamepro.com/news.cfm?article_id=83956

It sounds like they're going to release yet another edition of the 360 with a built in HD-DVD player late next year:

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/828/828935p1.html

Although they're not calling it a 360 yet I'm betting that this is just an upgraded 360.  After all, there's no way that Microsoft is going to release their next gen system right when the 360 seems to really be taking off.  I mean, this generation of console wars just got started.  Plus, if the upgrades listed are the only upgrades to the system that doesn't sound like a true next gen console to me.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 04:32:34 AM by James of LinHood »
Imrahil: Don't care about Riding with Death.

Bob: Turkey.

Action Batch:  Woah, let's all mellow out and rap about this.

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 356
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2007, 06:06:12 AM »
I am definitely going to get Rock Band, but I don't have any console at all yet, most likely going to end up with an Xbox 360. Besides price being a factor, since it's a game I want to play online I am leaning towards the console with the highest number of users. I'm not interested in playing FPS's on a console and in fact I wasn't really interested in any other games at all until I heard of Beautiful Katamari being released.

Offline Erichw5

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2007, 10:18:27 AM »
that's cool. it is just a matter of preferance. i just want to cover some myths. while the 360 does have more users online it is not by much and when you go online you are not going to notice a difference just becuase both systems have tons of people to play with. also katamari is a multi-platform game. oh and if you are getting a 360 just make sure and get a newer model i would recommend the halo 3 model because it has the falcon chip and heatsinks to prevent the famous red ring of death problem

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2007, 12:09:45 PM »
I should perhaps have said 'more people I know' with 360's.

Offline James of LinHood

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Romans 12:2
    • The Facebookz
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2007, 01:45:16 PM »
I should perhaps have said 'more people I know' with 360's.

If you get a 360 I can't wait to kick your ass play against you in Guitar Hero.
Imrahil: Don't care about Riding with Death.

Bob: Turkey.

Action Batch:  Woah, let's all mellow out and rap about this.

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2007, 03:03:18 PM »
Well you would be one those people.

Detective Chimp

« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2007, 05:50:14 PM »
It sounds like they're going to release yet another edition of the 360 with a built in HD-DVD player late next year:

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/828/828935p1.html

Awesome, I knew they'd do that eventually. I'll probably just wait and get that.

Offline Shinigami

• Big Montana
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2007, 10:28:10 AM »
I'd be curious to see the math on that. Where are you getting the data?

There was an article released a few months back stating the cost of powering the different consoles for an average amount of time for a month.  The Wii was highly efficient and dirt cheap to run, the 360 was a power hog as expected but the PS3 was higher yet, both of which are less than a newer desktop PC.  I'd have to dig around to find the article again but if I remember right the stated difference in price for a month was 5-6 bucks.

Offline Chaos

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3
  • Danger Zone!
    • The Literal Truth
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2007, 11:01:40 AM »
Ah, then yet again, it looks like you're better off just running a nice efficient PC and using an emulator. ;)

It's kind of sad that these companies can't manage to come up with an energy efficient product, considering how much more your average PC is doing at any given time as compared to a straight gaming console. Some of the new chips AMD in particular is coming out with are VERY impressive with their energy footprint.
"First there was Chaos, the vast immeasurable abyss, Outrageous as a sea, dark, wasteful, wild." -Milton

Offline Shinigami

• Big Montana
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2007, 01:23:32 PM »
Ah, then yet again, it looks like you're better off just running a nice efficient PC and using an emulator. ;)

It's kind of sad that these companies can't manage to come up with an energy efficient product, considering how much more your average PC is doing at any given time as compared to a straight gaming console. Some of the new chips AMD in particular is coming out with are VERY impressive with their energy footprint.

Actually, PCs take up more power than consoles still.  It's due to the general purpose nature of PCs, every component takes more wattage from the power supply.

As far as emulators go, they're only good for older systems.  SNES and Genesis emulators are mature and damn near perfect.  PS1 emulation is pretty good while N64 is hit and miss.  PS2, dreamcast, and gamecube emulators still have a long way to go. 

I love my PC and do TONS of things with it, but I've gotten kind of sick of having to put down hundreds of dollars every time i want to play a newer game.  I don't even care much about graphics, but the newest games are designed in such a way that I don't have a choice in the matter.

Offline Aaron Haynes

• Blue Beer Drinker
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2007, 05:11:11 PM »
I don't know about you guys, but I would much rather play my ps2 games on the ps2, it has rumble support and all my game saves on it.

That said I don't really see backwards compatibility as an important feature. I have a core Xbox 360 (which also has zero backwards compatibility) ... also, I've never really used the feature on my ps2, with a small handful of exceptions playstation 1 games are so damned crappy.
I'm on my second PS2 in six years, after my first one started failing to read any disc I put into it. This one, which I bought in late 2004, is a slimline model, and it's developed the same problem in the same timespan. Between the friends I've talked to who are PS2 owners and the sheer volume of complaints on the internet about the system failing in this manner, it's become clear to me that it's the most unreliable piece of gaming hardware ever sold. Continuing to play my PS2 games on my PS2 is no longer an option, and I'm certainly not buying third one.

Does the PS3 really not have support for PS2 memory cards, or even memory card data?

Offline Minnesota

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 4
  • Twins Territory
« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2007, 05:30:19 PM »
... I'm certainly not buying third one.

Does the PS3 really not have support for PS2 memory cards, or even memory card data?

get over yourself. I'm on my 3rd ps2! just buy another one. sure as hell beats paying the added cost to a ps3.

that said, I agree, Sony Playstation 2 is easily the most unreliable piece of gaming hardware ever sold. 120 million "homes" my ass!

(also, no clue about the memory cards... I think I was just assuming they wouldn't work)

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 988
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2007, 05:39:48 PM »
I don't know about you guys, but I would much rather play my ps2 games on the ps2, it has rumble support and all my game saves on it.

That said I don't really see backwards compatibility as an important feature. I have a core Xbox 360 (which also has zero backwards compatibility) ... also, I've never really used the feature on my ps2, with a small handful of exceptions playstation 1 games are so damned crappy.
I'm on my second PS2 in six years, after my first one started failing to read any disc I put into it. This one, which I bought in late 2004, is a slimline model, and it's developed the same problem in the same timespan. Between the friends I've talked to who are PS2 owners and the sheer volume of complaints on the internet about the system failing in this manner, it's become clear to me that it's the most unreliable piece of gaming hardware ever sold. Continuing to play my PS2 games on my PS2 is no longer an option, and I'm certainly not buying third one.

Yes. And no.

The $399 40 gig model is a stripped down version with no backwards compatability. (It's missing some other stuff too)

The $499 80 gig model has all the bells and whistles, but the backwards compatability comes via software emulation rather than hardware. Which means that some titles may not work correctly.

The $499 60 gig model was the old top of the line model. The backwards compatability in it comes via hardware built into the unit (essentially a mini-ps2). Most PS2 games will play just like they would on a PS2, with an exception or two. (Guitar Hero, for example. The guitar isn't compatible with the PS3.)

There's also a handful of 20 gig PS3s from the initial launch floating around out there too, mostly used. They have the same hardware as the 60 gig model.

For all the models (except the 40GB) , to get a PS2 memory card onto the system, you'll need an adaptor to get the saves from a memory card to the PS3. It runs around $15-20. After that though, you can copy the saves on the card to a normal USB flash drive and then move them elsewhere, like another PS3 or to your PC, where you can, say, burn them to a cd, just in case.

My advice? Go with the 60 gig. You can upgrade the HD rather easily and the hardware will let you play all of the old games, and you won't have to worry that Sony will stop the emulations at some point. Right now pretty much every game I play on the PS3 is a PS2 game, and it works quite well. There might also be upscaling on the graphics as well, but since I'm playing on a 13" screen, I'll never be able to tell. (shrug)

Offline Chaos

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3
  • Danger Zone!
    • The Literal Truth
« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2007, 07:03:02 PM »
The 60 gig hardware backwards compatibility version upscales. The software emulation just delivers the same quality the PS2 ran on. I'm not sure about the 20 gig version, but I would assume it's the same as the 60 gig version, since as you said it's the same hardware in there.
"First there was Chaos, the vast immeasurable abyss, Outrageous as a sea, dark, wasteful, wild." -Milton

Offline Aaron Haynes

• Blue Beer Drinker
« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2007, 11:40:33 AM »
... I'm certainly not buying third one.

get over yourself. I'm on my 3rd ps2! just buy another one. sure as hell beats paying the added cost to a ps3.

that said, I agree, Sony Playstation 2 is easily the most unreliable piece of gaming hardware ever sold. 120 million "homes" my ass!

(also, no clue about the memory cards... I think I was just assuming they wouldn't work)
"Just buy another one" is the kind of thinking that allows Sony to do this every console generation with only the occasional class action lawsuit to worry about. I can't believe the number of times I've seen people tell me to "just buy another one". The first and second one stopped working! I don't know about you, but I don't think game systems should be disposable. If I'm spending over a hundred dollars on it, it damn well better last longer than three years.

Compound: Assuming the 60GB model doesn't disappear from shelves and Amazon in the next year, that's probably the model I'll end up buying. I'm strongly reconsidering getting one at all now, though. Between the craptastic hardware of the PS2 and the absolutely inexplicable customer-shafting decisions Sony has been making (the memory card thing is the latest in a long line of disappointments for me), I don't think I trust this company enough to throw any more money at them, even if it means missing out on LittleBigPlanet.