login

Author Topic: $399 PS3 confirmed for North America  (Read 7211 times)

Offline Steve-O

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 56
    • The Incomparable
Re: $399 PS3 confirmed for North America
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2007, 12:46:48 PM »
Cool.  At this rate, I'll be able to afford a PS3 right around the time they get to making a game I actually want for the thing.

Offline Minnesota

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 4
  • Twins Territory
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2007, 12:55:57 PM »
I don't know about you guys, but I would much rather play my ps2 games on the ps2, it has rumble support and all my game saves on it.

That said I don't really see backwards compatibility as an important feature. I have a core Xbox 360 (which also has zero backwards compatibility) ... also, I've never really used the feature on my ps2, with a small handful of exceptions playstation 1 games are so damned crappy.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2007, 03:12:38 PM »
I have a core Wii system, without all the extra add ons.  But it does come with backward compatibility and I must say, I use it quite often.  I never even owned a game cube, but now I get to partake in all of the great games for about half the price. 

Oh, an apparently Sony sold the Cell chip to Toshiba

http://money.cnn.com/2007/10/18/news/international/bc.apfn.as.fin.com.japan.sony.toshiba.ap/index.htm

Detective Chimp

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2007, 12:23:09 PM »
Huh...now I'm torn between getting an xbox and getting a playstation. XBox has better games, but playstation has built in blue ray. What to do??

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 988
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2007, 02:21:08 PM »
Well Chimp, what are you planning to use it for?  If you're looking for a DVD player for an HDTV with some possible gaming, go for the PS3. If you want to game though, go with the 360. Live arcade has some great & cheap titles, and there's a good number of nice exclusive titles for the 360. And speaking as someone who owns both the 360 and the PS3, the gaming library on the 3 sucks. And there's not a lot on the way for exclusives until next year. (Stuff like Rock Band don't count since they're multi-system and you can get them no matter what system you own.)

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3180
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2007, 02:36:45 PM »
And the HD DVD player for the Xbox 360 is only like- $180 now, so it's a nice bonus. :^)

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2007, 02:58:57 PM »
Or you could wait for the Xbox 3, which is now in development, and will come with an HD DVD player.

Offline Chaos

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3
  • Danger Zone!
    • The Literal Truth
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2007, 03:19:28 PM »
Or you could buy a brand new, high-end computer for the same price as the PS3, and run games from all of the systems for free on the emulators. Plus do whatever the hell else you want with the computer, rather than throwing $400-$600 down the drain (plus cost of games) for a single form of entertainment. :)
"First there was Chaos, the vast immeasurable abyss, Outrageous as a sea, dark, wasteful, wild." -Milton

Detective Chimp

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2007, 03:45:56 PM »
Well Chimp, what are you planning to use it for?  If you're looking for a DVD player for an HDTV with some possible gaming, go for the PS3. If you want to game though, go with the 360. Live arcade has some great & cheap titles, and there's a good number of nice exclusive titles for the 360. And speaking as someone who owns both the 360 and the PS3, the gaming library on the 3 sucks. And there's not a lot on the way for exclusives until next year. (Stuff like Rock Band don't count since they're multi-system and you can get them no matter what system you own.)

Sadly, I'm split 50/50. I want games exactly as much as I want high def dvds. For the most part, the game I'm interested in right now is Oblivion. My computer absolutely hates this game. I think both systems have this one, but I'm also interested in getting some other non-Japanese rpgs (mass effect, overlord etc) later on. So I guess that's a nod towards the 360. PS3 has the internal bluray. XBox has the add on HDDVD player. I'm not a big fan of add ons and I'm afraid they'll release a new model with an internal player right after I buy the other. So, that's a nod towards PS3. Decisions, decisions...  ???

Or you could buy a brand new, high-end computer for the same price as the PS3, and run games from all of the systems for free on the emulators. Plus do whatever the hell else you want with the computer, rather than throwing $400-$600 down the drain (plus cost of games) for a single form of entertainment. :)

Aw, but my 50 inch plasma tv needs some love.

Offline Chaos

• Dragon Ryder
  • Danger Zone!
    • The Literal Truth
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2007, 04:00:21 PM »

Aw, but my 50 inch plasma tv needs some love.

I don't have an HDTV myself, but from what I have seen of them, most of them are capable of acting as a gi-normous monitor anyway, with a jack for a normal monitor cable... or failing that, at least an S-Video output (and there are computer video cards with HD-out ports, too).
"First there was Chaos, the vast immeasurable abyss, Outrageous as a sea, dark, wasteful, wild." -Milton

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2007, 04:36:32 PM »
I'm not a big fan of add ons and I'm afraid they'll release a new model with an internal player right after I buy the other. So, that's a nod towards PS3. Decisions, decisions...  ???

You're right.  They are already hard at work on the Xbox 3, which will most likely run on HD DVDs.  I couldn't find the better article I read, but here's something that has a tad more credit than me  http://www.gamepro.com/news.cfm?article_id=83956

Offline Shinigami

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2007, 07:31:29 PM »
Yeah, PS3 is more media center than gaming system.  To be honest you're gonna be better off with a dedicated HD player that can handle both formats.  It's the only way you're gonna get all the movies you want any time soon.  It might be more expensive, but if you have a HD set and are considering a PS3, you can probably afford it  ;D.

The $400 PS3 seems alright, but it has a ton of problems.  They're taking out PS2 compatibility completely.  Yeah, you can just use your PS2, but then you don't get one of Sony's biggest touted features, upscaling.  Then the hard drive is still bigger than the 20gig the 360 offers, but the PS3 requires 3-5 gig installation for EACH game.  You pretty much HAVE to buy a new hard drive.  This is basically the tard pack for the PS3, it's sad that it's the only one reasonably priced.  So for me the PS3 is still way overpriced,

I want to get a 360 since there's a lot of games on it I want to play and it's cheaper than a PC upgrade.  I really like that Live has the flexability and power of PC multiplayer but few of the crap you have to deal with.  Older games with few good servers, cheaters, custom games with ridiculous and unfun server-side mods, etc.  The chat is annoying because of immature asshats, but it's also much better than setting up teamspeak.

Offline Chaos

• Dragon Ryder
  • Danger Zone!
    • The Literal Truth
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2007, 08:21:28 PM »
I want to get a 360 since there's a lot of games on it I want to play and it's cheaper than a PC upgrade.  I really like that Live has the flexability and power of PC multiplayer but few of the crap you have to deal with.  Older games with few good servers, cheaters, custom games with ridiculous and unfun server-side mods, etc.  The chat is annoying because of immature asshats, but it's also much better than setting up teamspeak.

Plus the added bonus of having to pay a subscription fee every month! ;)

Offline Shinigami

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2007, 08:27:27 PM »

Plus the added bonus of having to pay a subscription fee every month! ;)

Funny thing is, Live is cheaper per month than the difference in just powering PS3 vs a 360 for a month.

Offline Chaos

• Dragon Ryder
  • Danger Zone!
    • The Literal Truth
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2007, 08:33:40 PM »
I'd be curious to see the math on that. Where are you getting the data?