Author Topic: Napoleon Dynamite  (Read 2178 times)

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6750
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
Re: Napoleon Dynamite
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2012, 08:15:30 PM »
What ever happened with the rumor that Clerks Animated Series was coming back?  I loved that show.

who is driving?! oh my god, bear is driving! how can that be?!

erm, i mean: where did you hear that rumour? i know there was supposed to be a movie, but i hadn't heard anything about another series.
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1507
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2012, 03:55:09 AM »
I think RoninFox mentioned it. I can't remember if he had a link to an article or anything.

Offline Prince of Space 5049

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 14
  • Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2012, 07:09:47 AM »
I was led to ND just after it came out when I saw a buddy of mine wearing a "vote for pedro" T-shirt.  I asked him what it meant, and he invited me to see it with him.  I had no idea what to expect and was drawn in by the naive charm of it.  It took me completely by surprise.  As mentioned before, when it took off and people started quoting it I lost interest and moved on.  Now many years later this crap shows up on FOX.  What a mess.  Everything that endeared it to me was missing.  Made it through the first fifteen minutes, only to have another episode show up an hour later.  Yeeecchhhh!
[

Invader_quirk

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2012, 09:31:06 AM »
I had to watch one episode to make sure it was awful. Yeah. It's awful. This is absolutely and completely the opposite of the movie's sense of humor. Here you have Napoleon getting super powers from an acne cream and fighting in the "thundercone", with the episode ending with an angry, pitchfork-wielding mob chasing him. That. Is not. Napoleon Dynamite.

Offline Tyrant

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 71
  • 2007-11 Satanic Humanitarian Award Winner
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2012, 12:09:14 PM »
Usually I try not to judge anything until I've actually seen it. What we saw Sunday night was everything we expected it to be, however (and we earnestly tried not having any expectations at all): The single most shallow attempt by anything ever to continue to cash in on something that stands on its own brilliant merit as a one shot. It wasn't charming, or funny, or entertaining on any level. In fact, it was downright painful to watch.

I love the movie, and actually felt a tinge of personal insult that this thing even got made, as if the network thinks I'm such an idiot that I'd actually buy into it.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 972
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2012, 12:42:16 PM »
(Shrug) I kinda liked it. But I don't have any real attachment to the original.

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3526
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2012, 12:57:15 PM »
It is absolutely impossible for them to capture what was created in the first show.  That said, it doesn't mean that they can't make a good cartoon.  I would be completely against this, except they brought back all of the original cast.  I watched the first couple episodes and it was tough trying to come to terms with this being something different.  I found a couple things funny, and a lot of stuff that was trying to duplicate jokes from the movie.  I'm hoping that they can get that out of their system quickly, and try to move into new territory.

The best thing so far is that the second episode had Jemaine Clement.

I liked the movie.  I'm surprised that people outside of Utah and Idaho liked it.  It contains a number of inside jokes, and I thought it would be too specific to appeal to a general audience.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1507
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2012, 05:14:00 PM »
My band was on tour in Idaho when it was in theaters.