Author Topic: "The Price is Right" All New Episodes Start this Week  (Read 1904 times)

Offline Minnesota

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 4
  • Twins Territory
"The Price is Right" All New Episodes Start this Week
« on: October 14, 2007, 04:34:41 PM »
Announcement: Drew Carey will make his debut as the new host tomorrow morning!

ABC News has a fairly insightful feature article on the new host (although the show is ironically on CBS)
http://www.abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/Story?id=3703059)

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 356
Re: "The Price is Right" All New Episodes Start this Week
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2007, 05:36:38 PM »
debut? huh since I saw a clip of some woman going nuts on plinko with him I guess I just assumed he'd started already.

Offline Minnesota

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Twins Territory
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2007, 05:44:49 PM »
yeah, they've got like 30 episodes in the can, the youtube plinko clip is a preview... and not a very good one either. He seems a little awkward and the audience boos him at one point  :D

[yt=425,350]7CoFEXWP3cg[/yt]
http://youtube.com/watch?v=7CoFEXWP3cg

Anyway I'm still gonna watch it this week, just hope it gets better

Offline The Televator

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2007, 05:53:00 PM »
debut? huh since I saw a clip of some woman going nuts on plinko with him I guess I just assumed he'd started already.
What they do is they tape the shows a few weeks before it actually debuts, in fact they do several tapings in one day so it can run 5 days a week. That's how Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy do it. I think Drew Carey will be a good host, in my opinion.

@Min: I think it was just him getting the hang of it, I mean I saw early Price is Right Shows and Barker has similar problems before he got the hang of it. I think it will be good. I like the new set.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2007, 05:55:17 PM by The Televator »

Offline MDupont

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2007, 11:16:52 AM »
Today was the first episode and it had some good moments.

*SPOILERS: DON'T READ IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW

-
-
-
-
-
-

Someone went all the way on "It's In  the Bag" and won $16,000. Drew kept calling it "In the Bag" but I am sure he will correct himself in the future. He notes that the capsules that were one of the products for the game were used for constipation. Someone won a car playing Money Game. Someone won a trip to Bali while playing Cliff Hnagers. Amazing win as the woman got the last two prices of the prizes correct. She also won a Phone, a Digital Sudoku game, and something else that escapes me right now. The person who won ther trip to Bali won $1000 on the big wheel and makes it to the Showcase Showdown. The next contestant plays Easy As 1-2-3 and plays for Ski Equipment, Espresso Machine, and a Floor Clock and wins all three prizes. Ski Equipment being the most expensive and Espresso Machine being the least expensive. A woman plays One Away for a car and wins it. Drew notes that instead of saying "Ladies, Do I have at least ? number right" he instructs the contestant to say "Oh Great Sound Effects Person, do I have at least ? number right" each time. A man plays 'Barker's Bargain Bar" and yes, they kept his name in that game. He guessed the Wine Rack at $1311 as the bigger bargain over the $2350 computer system as the biggest bargain, and he was correct. The retail price for the Wine Rack was $2311 and the computer was $3000 or something. So yeah, the Season Premiere was a perfect so far without the second wheel spin and the Showcase Showdown. Another winner on the big wheel as someone won $1000 but failed to get any more. The graphics for when money is won the big wheel has changed to a font similar to the classic TPIR font. The dollar sign used for the graphic is the TPIR dollar symbol.

Showcase Showdown!
Old Lady's (Peggy) Showcase (was passed by Young Girl): Bedroom Set, Towels, Yamaha Waverunner - bid: $15000 ARP: $25443 - SAFE
Young Girl's (Amor) Showcase: HDTV, Hot Tub, Travel Trailer - bid: $25000 ARP: $27470 - WINNER! over $45,000 stuff total out of all of her winnings. Font changed for the total as well.

So yeah, it was a good show. The season premiere had a perfect show and a nice ending. The set had great changes and looks retro. The music is nearly the same with a new harp-like tune to it in the middle. Everything from the contestants row to the background curtains have changed. Drew's hosting ability was so-so, but it's expected when you are first starting out, in fact, Drew did surprisingly well for being the beginning on the new season. Note though, that this episode was not the first taping. There were MANY tapings before this one, which will show a more nervous Drew. The reason for this was that they didn't want to through Drew into a Season Premiere taping without him knowing all the games. The first couple of tapings they played about 7 of the same games so he could get use to them, and was taught more over time. He is still just starting out and will improve like Bob did over time. If you missed the Season Premiere, then don't sorry. I'm sure someone will put it up on YouTube eventually. 

Notes:
~During the last a seasons of Bob's career, he had trouble hearing the contestants when giving prices for the prizes on Contestant's Row. Drew heard them all but 1 time. There was a part where a guy said 1K instead of $1000 and it confused Drew because he said it so fast.
~Drew would sometimes get flustered at repeating the rules.
~Drew tends to speak to fast when he is on a roll, and some things he said were incoherent.
~I like how Drew is making the show his own, like changing what people say during One Away and not having dramatic pauses when revealing stuff.
~Drew also called the beauties by their first name instead of calling them just "beauties."
~The stage is excellent and the new graphics are a step up.
~The show still noted that it was in the "Bob Barker Studio"
~Rich Fields introduces Drew as the star of the Price is Right (doesn't bother me as Bob isn't there anymore)
~Contrary to popular belief, Bob was not their to "pass the torch" to Drew and the show started how it normally started.
~A new camera was shown the moves around in an aerial view of the audiance at he beginning.
~There were a lot of Drew fans in the audience from what I could tell. Drew T-Shirts., etc.
~The audience and contestants didn't seem restless or peeved at Drew for anything, and were as enthusiatic as ever. Many contestants say they love Drew when they get up on stage.
~When the contestants start to bid, Drew starts off by asking them "how they are" and then asks for their bid.

Over all, Drew needs to work on slowing down his speech and saying the correct words. Sometimes he would say things that were missing a word or two.

I give the show an 9/10. It was great to watch on TV finally.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 02:17:42 PM by MDupont »
[SIZE="1"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpVuogzmWhg[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"][COLOR="DarkOrchid"]Official Member of the Arch Angels[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[/B]

Offline Minnesota

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Twins Territory
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2007, 11:42:40 AM »
Wow, Thanks for the great round-up MDupont!

I should have time to watch it tomorrow... kinda pissed that I missed todays episode (like you said maybe someone will put it on youtube)

Offline MDupont

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2007, 02:20:37 PM »
No problem! I was typing it as it as going on. I was one of the last to see it since I live in California :P

Also, I forgot to mention that apparently it has been taped in HD and a Behind the Scenes video on YouTube has Drew saying that they are trying to work out traveling dates so they can bring TPIR to more locations.
[/B]

Offline MDupont

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2007, 11:04:56 AM »
Sorry for double posting, but I had to post day two....

First Half
Nathaniel plays Golden Road. He plays for boating stuff and wins that, but he doesn't win the Grand Piano, and doesn't get a chance to go for the Dodge Viper. Marie plays Plinko. This was hilarious because when she got up on stage, she told Drew that "she had to go potty" as seen in a TPIR Preview. She won $20200 on Plinko. Dexter plays the Clock Game and wins both prizes, a sofa ($699) and a barbeque grill ($999). He made it in record time and got the $1000 bonus for getting both prices correctly in 30 seconds.

Showcase Showdown 1:
Nathaniel - $.45 + $.80 = OVER
Dexter - $.45 + $.15 = $.60
Marie - $.35 + $.50 = $.85 - Makes it to Final Showcase

Second Half
Albert plays Double Prices for a trip of Bangkok (*giggles*) and wins with the trip being 5300 dollars (not sure on EXACT prices). Drew was trying to get him to say shazam before the price could be revealed, but the didn't say it. It was an awkward moment. Brianne plays Any Number to go for a Pontiac Grand-Am and some Cordless Digital Phones. She doesn't win the car, but wins the phones at $915. She was one number away from winning a car, but she should have guessed a 7 to win it. The car was $22730. Janet plays the Grocery Game for a Folding Camping Trailer. Shey buys 8 Fiji Waters which total 12.59 and then she buys 7 soups which brings her total to $20.21 which makes her a winner!

Showcase Showdown 2:
Brianne -  $.55 + $.15 = $.70
Albert - $.15 + $.35 = NOT ENOUGH
Janet - $.45 + $.50 = $.95 - WINNER!

Showcase
Marie - Desktop Computer, Trip to Spain, Lincoln Navigator - $62500 - $61000 - OVER 
Janet - Home Workout Center (originally passed by Marie, even though she needs it; various exercise equipment; ironic since Janet is fat), Spa - $17500 - $18500 - Winner

NOTES: Today's show was a lot more fluent than yesterday's. It was excellent and felt like a traditional Price is Right show. Drew was great today and only mumbled a few times! He explained the games well, however, I noticed he was doing some of the basic games instead of the more advanced ones in the beginning, but that's understandable since he is starting out. If anyone wants to see any of the episodes they missed, CBS.com has put full episodes on their site.

[/B]

Offline Minnesota

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Twins Territory
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2007, 01:28:19 PM »
MDupont should write for TV Guide ;D
 Seriously though, thanks for the day 2 round-up (I missed the show again)
*heads over to CBS.com*

Offline MDupont

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2007, 02:03:40 PM »
I should add that only yesterday's episode is up and today's will be uploaded some time tonight. I don't know when they update so yeah.

Day 3 tommorow :D
[/B]

Offline MDupont

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2007, 02:36:20 PM »
Sorry, no report today, I overslept.