login

Author Topic: A Song You Hate By a Band/Musician You Love...  (Read 6425 times)

Offline BBQ Platypus

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 59
  • SURF'S UP, SPACE PONIES!
Re: A Song You Hate By a Band/Musician You Love...
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2007, 10:10:53 AM »
Virtually every song on Greendale (except that one instrumental at the beginning) is a fresh, fetid, steaming buffalo turd with a generous helping of alpaca vomit on the side.
Correction: the coat hanger should be upside down.

Offline Dim of the Yard

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 71
  • Do the Servo Swivel!
    • Dim's Twitter Page
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2007, 11:01:02 AM »
How about Paul McCartney?  I'm a fan of Macca's and am trying to find/purchase more of his CD's, but I can't stand Ebony And Ivory.  That song just makes me want to throw my CD Player across the room.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4973
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2007, 03:49:54 PM »
"Give Peace a Chance" by the Beatles.

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 415
  • Prepare to die, obviously!
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2007, 06:11:00 PM »
Six words:

The Ballad of John and Yoko.

I kind of like the fact that it's actually just John and Paul performing (and this was at the point where they could hardly stand to be in a room together), but the song itself is sort of meh (at least the lyrical content).
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2007, 06:11:59 PM »
"Give Peace a Chance" by the Beatles.

That was John Lennon, actually. And, yeah, it pretty much does suck.
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2007, 06:13:06 PM »
How about Paul McCartney?  I'm a fan of Macca's and am trying to find/purchase more of his CD's, but I can't stand Ebony And Ivory.  That song just makes me want to throw my CD Player across the room.

I loved that song when I was a teenager, but I got better.

- Conan O'Brien

Offline AThingThatMakesYouWaltz

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
  • Y tu mamá también: A Chicken and Egg Dish
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2007, 07:36:49 PM »
I think Modest Mouse could have definitely left Shitluck off The Lonesome Crowded West. Also, the "rap" part in Rush's Roll the Bones makes me cringe every time.

Offline Teaflax

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2008, 11:11:09 AM »
her voice sucks compared to Tarja's.

Dude, that's harsh.

Otherwise,

I've Seen All Good People - Yes. A truly progressive band just beginning find their feet and nailing down a unique style resort to Boogie Rock That Goes On Forever. A truly hideous blemish on the greatness that is Yes from 1969-1976.

The Golden Calf - Prefab Sprout. Meant as a b-side, but Paddy was flattered by some people to put it on From Langley Park to Memphis, thus tainting a near-perfect Pop album with a crappy slice of Rock n roll. Even he regrets the decision today.

She's a Girl and I'm a Man - Lloyd Cole. The middle eight sounds like Springsteen's Dancing in the Dark. 'Nuff said.

Song 2 - Blur. Idiotic and annoying. They couldn't even be bothered to give it a proper title - or a lyric in the chorus. The beginning of their downfall.

Boogie with Stu - Led Zeppelin. Usually the accusations of Zep just playing straight Blues are ludicrous. Here they're right on the money.

Walk of Life - Dire Straits. I'm not as huge fan of DS, but I generally like them okay (and Love Over GOld was a great album), but where Money for Nothing was just vapid, this manages to be actively annoying.

If Metallica hadn't gone completely down the shitter, I would say that "lalala" song with Marianne Faithful.

Don't You Forget About Me - Simple Minds. Again, the beginning of their downfall. Ths success this song engendered eventually lead to Derek Forbes leaving, at which point they were just plain screwed. Even his recent return hasn't helped.

The Number One Song in Heaven - Sparks. They were great in the mid-70s and they are great now. In between, they did crap like this.

Reelin' in the Years - Steely Dan. Sound like it could have been recorded by The Eagles. 'Nuff said.

Season of the Witch - The Zombies. Okay, I don't hate it that much, but it's so clearly the weakest song on the otherwise sublime Odessey and Oracle that it's almost a given that this would be the hit single.

Invincible - Muse. Sub-U2 balladry form a band that is usually very consistent.

Epic - Faith No More. It lead to much greater things, but this really didn't make it seem like Mike Patton was such a great choice.
Fear destroys. - Jon Anderson

Offline Ortega

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 25
    • Ortega's Covers
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2008, 12:11:43 PM »
pretty much any song on A.F.I. 's Decemberunderground.  Here you had a pretty good punk band with a distinct sound and a singer that had an awesome range, and then they go completely emo.  And the few songs that are hard and fast, Davey Havok seems to be phoning it in. 

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2008, 12:47:43 PM »

I've Seen All Good People - Yes. A truly progressive band just beginning find their feet and nailing down a unique style resort to Boogie Rock That Goes On Forever. A truly hideous blemish on the greatness that is Yes from 1969-1976.

My problem with that song is that it moves and moves and just goes nowhere.

Reelin' in the Years - Steely Dan. Sound like it could have been recorded by The Eagles. 'Nuff said.

Harsh (although not necessarily untrue).

Season of the Witch - The Zombies. Okay, I don't hate it that much, but it's so clearly the weakest song on the otherwise sublime Odessey and Oracle that it's almost a given that this would be the hit single.

Did you mean "Time of the Season"? "Season of the Witch" (which is a phenomenal song) is by Donovan. As for "Time of the Season," it's one of those songs thats starts off well enough, but is saddled with a truly uninspired chorus.

Epic - Faith No More. It lead to much greater things, but this really didn't make it seem like Mike Patton was such a great choice.

I like the song, but I can see why Faith No More fans might not.

- Conan O'Brien

Offline Teaflax

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2008, 01:08:00 PM »
Did you mean "Time of the Season"?

Yes, I did. I'm an idiot. Thanks for clearing that up.

Season of the Witch" (which is a phenomenal song) is by Donovan.

Indeed it is. Donovan is way underrated. A Gift from a Flower to a Garden is one of my most cherished recent finds.

Offline Teaflax

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2008, 01:09:03 PM »
pretty much any song on A.F.I. 's Decemberunderground.  Here you had a pretty good punk band with a distinct sound and a singer that had an awesome range, and then they go completely emo.  And the few songs that are hard and fast, Davey Havok seems to be phoning it in. 

Why did they take their name from the American Film Institute? That's what I want to know.

NinjaComic

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2008, 01:20:32 PM »
ANY hidden track.  When I am listening to a CD or even a playlist, the last thing I want is 3 minutes of dead air followed by a song I didn't want to hear.  Or worse still, it is a song I want to hear and I have no way of easily accessing it.  I usually end up having to edit into two songs and cut the silence.  :angry:

Offline Blue Raja

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Not Knifey Boy or Stab-Man.
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2008, 03:49:14 PM »
As just about any Genesis fan can say without a doubt:

"Whodunnit".

And I'm ashamed to say...(or am I...?)

I actually LIKE "Hooks In You" by Marillion. :-X

It's "No Such Thing" that I really don't care for - along with other handfuls from the albums "Somewhere Else" and "Radiation."  "Grendel" never did sit too well with me either, but it never made the original album anyway, so all is forgiven. :P

« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 03:54:38 PM by Blue Raja »
Featuring the taxpayer-funded efforts of Blue Raja, Hellcat, and Skyroniter!

Offline Teaflax

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2008, 09:17:44 PM »
As just about any Genesis fan can say without a doubt:

"Whodunnit"

There are at least 50 songs in the Genesis oeuvre worse than that cute little ditty, which is in many ways one of the more experimental tunes on the album, together with Keep It Dark..Admittedly, most of the really bad tunes came after Abacab, so it was a bit of a low point at the time. even if they had turned out some even worse stinkers before that, like More Fool Me, Your Special Way and Alone Tonight. Afterwards there were terrible moments aplenty from Illegal Alien and Anything She Does all the way to most of We Can't Dance and every single note on Calling All Stations.

No, Who Dunnit isn't really that bad at all.