Poll

Who has a better singing voice? Pre-Brian Johnson AC/DC's Bon Scott or Eddie Van Halen

Bon Scott
5 (83.3%)
Eddie Van Halen
1 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: Vocies: Bon Scott vs Eddie Van Halen  (Read 1600 times)

Offline ig400

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 0
  • The Horror
Vocies: Bon Scott vs Eddie Van Halen
« on: October 22, 2007, 01:03:49 PM »
A few months ago I was talking to my dad & brother about AC/DC and my brother said he was unimpressed with Bon Scott's singing "Bon Scott sucks" I believe he said, and a few months before that I was listening to the radio and they were playing Back in Black after the song was done the DJ made a comment on how if Bon Scott hadn't died and Brian Johnson didn't join up,  AC/DC would just be another average rock band

Now I agree that Brian Johnson is a better singer than Bon Scott, and that Brian Johnsons joining up with AC helped to make them one of if not the greatest Rock n Roll band of all time, But to call Bon Scott singing any ting less than below average is unfair.

I think people think this mainly because Brian Johnson's greatness pretty much eclipsed Bon Scott's talent.

Having that said I think Eddie Van Halen's voice sucks major ass!!!
Don't get me wrong I love his music, I just think his voice sound prepetualy horse!

Am I the only one who thinks this?
Is it just me?
Every day of my life I find the wisest and best to fix our attention on the Good and the Beautiful. If you just take the time to look at it.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
Re: Vocies: Bon Scott vs Eddie Van Halen
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 04:28:56 PM »
In that head-to-head it's Scott all the way and actually I don't think his voice is even that bad. I'd say it was average to maybe even slightly good.

Offline Rude

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 3
  • Forum Czar
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 05:01:22 PM »

Am i kinda' missing something here? Admitedly, i'm not a huge fan of Van Halen by any means. But i'm pretty sure that Eddie is just the guitar player. He may have sung on a track or two... i don't know. But how on Earth did you decide to compare AC/DC's first vocalist with Van Halen's guitar player?

Just curious.

-Rude
"I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."<a href="http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3</a>

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 05:03:27 PM »
Eddie started out as the vocalist but didn't like it much so he let Roth join.

Offline Rude

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 3
  • Forum Czar
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2007, 06:10:05 PM »
Quote from: TripeHoundRedux
Eddie started out as the vocalist but didn't like it much so he let Roth join.

I suppose that kinda' makes sense. But i actually have Van Halen's first album, and David Lee Roth is the vocalist. So if you're comparing something like Van Halen demo tapes to Bon Scott's six full length albums with AC/DC... it still seems like a weird comparison to try and make.

Whatever. Anyway, i really like Bon Scott's vocals. His voice always seemed sort of untamed and filthy... like a punk rocker singing for a rock band. It always suited the music perfectly in my opinion.

Can't say i've ever really heard Eddie Van Halen sing.
Has anyone here heard him, or do we need to find old Van Halen demo tapes or something?...  ;)

-Rude
"I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."<a href="http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3</a>

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2007, 06:29:41 PM »
Yeah  I think it's an odd comparison hence I said this:

In that head-to-head it's Scott all the way

And I agree with you mostly about Scott's voice, it's not technically great but then (to pick an example from an entirely different genre) neither is Leon Ware's but but he and Scott bring the distinctive to the songs they sing.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 06:42:46 PM by TripeHoundRedux »