Author Topic: Radiohead follows Creative Commons example sorta  (Read 4906 times)

Offline pyro

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 1
Radiohead follows Creative Commons example sorta
« on: September 30, 2007, 10:48:02 PM »

http://www.inrainbows.com/Store/Quickindex.html

Not exactly like Creative Commons, but close enough...  I've always loved this idea and was excited when my friend told me about this earlier

Offline kodiakthejuggler

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 0
  • >Insert Obscure Reference<
    • It's All Geek To Me
Re: Radiohead follows Creative Commons example sorta
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 09:24:22 PM »
I think it's a great idea, especially for a group who's popular enough not to need the money, but smart enough to know that many millions of copies will no doubt be downloaded via torrent sites, so they just grin and bear it. Also, those who truly love the music of Radiohead will no doubt purchase the album for at least the price of a regular CD.

I guess you could think of it as an extended trial CD, so you can listen to it, and if you like it, you can purchase it.

I applaud them for whatever reason they had for making this decision.

Offline pyro

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 07:06:50 AM »

Offline GregMcduck

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • KOOOOONG!!1
    • Pop Arena
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 07:24:19 AM »
Only the diehard Radiohead fans are gonna buy the eventual CD, which is reported to be around, oh i don't know, 80 FUCKING DOLLARS!

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 356
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2007, 08:47:25 AM »
mp3s only? kind of half assed attempt then.

Offline jewishcarpenter

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 543
  • I grow flowers so pretty they'll make you throw up
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2007, 08:50:17 AM »
I'd pay $11 for the mp3's and I'll probably get the full artsy set that comes out even if it is extremely overpriced because I've bought the other ones in the past and I love Radiohead.

Offline Conor

• Yardstick
  • Global Moderator
  • Liked: 89
    • conorlastowka.com
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2007, 08:52:41 AM »
Only the diehard Radiohead fans are gonna buy the eventual CD, which is reported to be around, oh i don't know, 80 FUCKING DOLLARS!

A real, normal priced CD is going to come out in a few months, once a method of distribution is being established.

What is the reasoning behind calling MP3s half assed?  Because they're not distributing it in a FLAC format that 99.5% of the population has no interest in listening to?  Or something I'm not thinking of?

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2007, 09:50:50 AM »
What is the reasoning behind calling MP3s half assed?  Because they're not distributing it in a FLAC format that 99.5% of the population has no interest in listening to?  Or something I'm not thinking of?

No that's about it. If I am going to buy digital music I am not going to buy lossy mp3s as an archival form, just because lots of people are happy with mp3's doesn't mean I have to be.  I made that decision a long time ago. No I don't buy iTunes either.

Offline jewishcarpenter

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2007, 10:02:53 AM »
No need to make ".wav's" on this topic, BT. I'm a bit off my game today with the bad jokes.

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2007, 10:44:17 AM »
No, I assure you that was quite terrible .

Offline jewishcarpenter

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2007, 10:48:50 AM »
At the end of the year I'm donating all my bad jokes to charity, for the kids.

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2007, 10:56:39 AM »
Well as long as it's for the kids.

Offline Conor

• Yardstick
  • Global Moderator
  • Liked: 89
    • conorlastowka.com
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2007, 11:37:18 AM »
It's true that Radiohead probably has a higher percentage of fans interested in FLAC (or at least who know it exist.)  Still, I imagine it's a miniscule percentage.

This is still a major, major deal though, and it's win win for the band and for the consumer.  What I think is interesting will be seeing how your average music (illegal)  downloader responds.

As anyone who's paid attention to the comments of torrent files has seen, people will use virtually any excuse to 'justify' downloading of something.  A popular one has to be "If i buy the CD in the store, most of that purchase does not go to the artist."  Also along the lines are "not wanting to support the labels that sue people", "A CD costs 20 cents, why should this cost fifteen dollars" and many other variants, all flawed and stupid.

Radiohead gives all those downloaders the chance to put their money where their mouth is.  It's guaranteed that people who would have otherwise downloaded it for free will now pay money to the band.  I think what they are doing is worth supporting to some degree.  Voting with your dollar will show other bands and companies that stuff like this that benefits both the consumer and the band, is worth doing.

Offline jewishcarpenter

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2007, 11:43:38 AM »
I know of a few people on other forums that are actually stoked and telling everyone they pre-ordered the mp3's for $0. I guess they don't really care about honor systems... irritating.

Offline Bairman

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2007, 11:46:02 AM »
I know of a few people on other forums that are actually stoked and telling everyone they pre-ordered the mp3's for $0. I guess they don't really care about honor systems... irritating.

There's a big surprise.