3 (13.6%)
Throw in a Doctor!
1 (4.5%)
How about a Cleaner?
2 (9.1%)
Go Absolutely Nuts with House Rules!
11 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Author Topic: Mafia Game 3 -- House Rules?  (Read 2494 times)

Offline ChrisHanel

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 0
Mafia Game 3 -- House Rules?
« on: September 27, 2007, 06:53:39 PM »
I'm putting it up to a vote. Please vote only if you plan on playing.

Signups for Game 3 will begin Monday, October 1st.

Offline Chaos

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3
  • Danger Zone!
    • The Literal Truth
Re: Mafia Game 3 -- House Rules?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 09:01:21 PM »
I'd love to see some of the whackier / more interesting characters make an appearance in one of the games.

Such as:

Godfather: Seems like a regular mafia member, but is actually the leader for the family. Makes a separate hit after the mafia votes on their hit. The other mafia members do not know who is the Godfather. Works best if you are playing single-family mafia instead of two-family mafia.

Turncoat: Seems like a regular mafia member, but is actually a citizen. Participates in all mafia votes, but can attempt to get information to the citizens.

Bomb: Seems like a regular citizen, but if they are killed by the mafia, they explode and randomly take out one of the mafia members with them.

Suicide Justice (I forget the name of this one): Seems like a regular citizen, but if the citizens vote them off, one of three things happens depending on the rules you are using: 1) the first person who voted for them is killed too, 2) one of the people who voted for them is randomly killed too, 3) they get to choose anyone who voted for them to get killed too.

The more roles, the more dynamic (and exciting, and challenging) the game becomes.
"First there was Chaos, the vast immeasurable abyss, Outrageous as a sea, dark, wasteful, wild." -Milton

Offline Chaos

• Dragon Ryder
  • Danger Zone!
    • The Literal Truth
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 09:07:47 PM »
Oh yeah, and there's another one that I always loved that I can't remember the name of (and also I've only ever used it in the Werewolf version of the game, not Mafia), I think it was something like Fortune Teller or Obfuscator.

Twice per game, they can instruct the GM to falsify information for that round. Depending on the ruleset, either 1 specific piece of information will be false, or ALL information that round will be false. If the person the citizens voted off was a citizen, the GM will incorrectly inform everyone that the person was in the mafia (or that they were a vigilante, or informant, etc - the bad information can be chosen randomly). When the informant PMs the GM to ask if someone is in the mafia, the GM will lie and give the wrong answer, etc. Used wisely, this can REALLY mess with the dynamics of the game. This works best with two-family mafia, otherwise the mafia family will immediately know this is a "false" round when the citizen that gets killed during the round is announced as a mafia member.
"First there was Chaos, the vast immeasurable abyss, Outrageous as a sea, dark, wasteful, wild." -Milton

Offline Steve-O

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 56
    • The Incomparable
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 09:08:14 PM »
I went with the status quo.  With the board members just starting to catch on, I think I'd like to see one more game with the old school rules before things get too wacky.

We never did get a final analysis for that last game, by the way.  I must have closure!

Offline Chaos

• Dragon Ryder
  • Danger Zone!
    • The Literal Truth
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 09:10:32 PM »
Hmm... good point. I want recognition for totally fucking up and killing off everyone we WEREN'T supposed to. ;)

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2007, 07:51:24 AM »
Since people do it anyway could we try a supernatural theme and allow for a few raised spirits.

Not sure how to make it work but it was just firing off in my brain and i had to note it down before I forgot it. OK I'll give it some more thought.

Offline Brak

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • The Master Would Not Approve!
    • Horrid Coloring Books
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2007, 10:23:34 AM »
I like some of Chaos's ideas and i wouldnt mind if we were able to have a few more players, because it seems that there are more people than just 25 of us that would like to play :)

Offline Chaos

• Dragon Ryder
  • Danger Zone!
    • The Literal Truth
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2007, 10:39:56 AM »
Since people do it anyway could we try a supernatural theme and allow for a few raised spirits.

Not sure how to make it work but it was just firing off in my brain and i had to note it down before I forgot it. OK I'll give it some more thought.

There is a ruleset for "Witch Doctor" who can, either once or twice in a game, bring someone back from the dead.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2007, 10:46:25 AM »
Actually I was thinking of something more in the service of obfuscation : Bokor

The Bokor can bring the dead back to life in the form of a zombie. Now the games master and the Zombies know who the Boker is but they can't tell, they can only vote the way the Boker tells them. If the Boker is killed their Zombies are freed to return to the grave.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 11:18:11 AM by TripeHoundRedux »

Offline Chaos

• Dragon Ryder
  • Danger Zone!
    • The Literal Truth
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2007, 11:39:46 AM »
Ooh, now THAT sounds interesting.

The Bokor would just get a PM from the GM saying "This round you must vote for TripeHoundRedux" and that's an extra vote for whatever agenda the witch doctor wants... that could be cool. A little bit sucky for the person who got to come back to life but doesn't really get to decide how they play anymore, though.

Another thing about bringing people back to life is that the mafia can just kill them off again - it's a temporary reprieve at best. The only time this might change is if you are playing "blind mafia" (the GM does not tell you what role the dead people were filling - so nobody knows until the game is over whether or not they've been killing vigilantes, mafia, or citizens). In games like  this, you will often see the mafia intentionally trying to kill off one of their own members who has been acting prominently with the citizen votes, and then try to convince the angel or witch doctor to bring the dead mafia member back to life - thus wasting their power. ;)

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2007, 11:45:13 AM »
Ooh, now THAT sounds interesting.
The Bokor would just get a PM from the GM saying "This round you must vote for TripeHoundRedux" and that's an extra vote for whatever agenda the witch doctor wants... that could be cool. A little bit sucky for the person who got to come back to life but doesn't really get to decide how they play anymore, though.

Exactly, the Bokor (which is a term I prefer to Witch Doctor since it's a real term from Haiti, the ones they bring back would be Zombies or some other term, "Shades" perhaps) could be anyone. and with a few brought back from the dead the Bokor could tell them to vote differently they don't all have to vote in a block..

I like the idea of the appeal to the Bokor though, that might be intersting as well.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 11:47:42 AM by TripeHoundRedux »

Offline pyro

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2007, 03:26:34 PM »
I'm going with the last one regardless of any rationale for or against it

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2007, 04:10:14 PM »
I voted the same way though I'd also include more people to help the game along. With more people we really can go House Rule mad.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2007, 04:29:34 PM by TripeHoundRedux »

Offline dignan

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • If Val's happy, I'm happy!
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2007, 05:24:24 PM »
I vote for TripeHoundRedux.

Waitaminute...

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals