login

Author Topic: The Umpteenth Not-Quite-Annual TeeVee Dead Pool  (Read 1493 times)

Offline Steve-O

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 56
    • The Incomparable
The Umpteenth Not-Quite-Annual TeeVee Dead Pool
« on: September 19, 2007, 10:55:14 PM »
For slightly longer than a decade, the TV website to which I contribute (called, coincidentally enough, TeeVee) has run an annual Dead Pool at the start of the TV season.  The way it works is thusly:

1. Pick three new shows you believe will be axed by the networks before Thanksgiving.
2. Get points for any show whose death you correctly foretell.  More points are earned for riskier picks.
3. Get the most points of any of the entrants, and we print your name on the site for all to see.  Also, we might send some free crap to your home or business.  Maybe.  If we get around to it.

I cordially invite any and all RiffTrax forum members and fans to come join in this year's festivities.  Take a chance and win some crap!

This season should prove to be particularly challenging, as a good portion of the field seems likely to suck egregiously.  To improve your chances, be sure to avail yourself of our oddsmaker's assessment of each show.

And be all means, if you do participate, feel free to discuss your picks and the brilliant reasoning behind them in this thread.  Good luck!

Offline Minnesota

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 4
  • Twins Territory
Re: The Umpteenth Not-Quite-Annual TeeVee Dead Pool
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 11:38:44 PM »
Has the Terminator series been officially axed already?

I'm looking forward to NBC's Bionic Woman (haven't seen the leaked pilot, but I'm curious to see if any of the episodes are written or directed by the producers James Wong or Glen Morgan). Also, I kinda enjoyed the Cavemen Pilot, but everyone else seems to hate it. I have no idea what the rest of those shows are ... I'll try to do a bit of research and participate in this. Thanks Steve-O

Offline Minnesota

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 4
  • Twins Territory
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 12:21:09 AM »
D'oh... speaking of research

As is pretty much the case with any modern sci-fi series, there's a government conspiracy bubbling beneath the surface (though with the Sept. 6 departure of producer Glen Morgan of "X-Files" fame, it might stay beneath the surface). Adding a necessary spark to the proceedings is "Galactica's" Katee Sackhoff as Sarah Corvus, the first Bionic Woman. Suffice it to say that hell hath no fury like a Bionic Woman scorned.

lol, now I could careless about that show

Do Not Adjust Your Set: Replacing all instances of the word "Caveman" in the series premiere with "African-American" turns a merely unfunny show into one that's both unfunny and uncomfortable.
Why It Will Be First To Go: If we don't make our stand now, we're only asking for "Subway Spokesman Jared: The Series" next fall.
Why It Won't: We are continuously impressed by our countrymen's ability to latch onto the stupid and never, ever let go.

^^^ ... I liked the pilot but I want to go on record as saying that I'm reserving actual judgment until I've seen a few episodes. I try not to be too sensitive about TV shows or movies, what's the worst that could happen, I don't watch it but instead get to laugh at it on the Soup or Rifftrax ?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 12:29:50 AM by Minnesota »

Offline pyro

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 06:08:25 PM »
You can see the Bionic Woman pilot at Blockbuster for free....  they've got this free DVD rental with 4 seemingly shitty pilots...  Chuck, Bionic Woman, some show with some sort of short range time travel that's only been done 3 times [in the past year]!  and then something else I can't remember at all

Offline Steve-O

• Mayor of Nilbog
    • The Incomparable
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2007, 09:35:34 PM »
Has the Terminator series been officially axed already?

No, Fox is holding it until January, as they've done lately with the shows they think might be halfway decent.

Fox has the baseball playoffs, so they throw their crappy(er) shows on the schedule ahead of the other nets  -- this year, those would be K-Ville, Nashville, Back to You, and Kitchen Nightmares.  Those shows disappear for a month during the playoffs, and by the time they return, nobody cares about them anymore and they die on the vine.  Then Fox fills the gaps in their schedule with the shows that don't suck (as) horribly.

That complicates things for purposes of the Dead Pool.  There's a really good chance some of these shows are getting the axe, but they're usually guaranteed to be safe throughout October.  So do you put your money on one, in the hopes that it will be killed in the couple of weeks leading up to Thanksgiving?

Offline Steve-O

• Mayor of Nilbog
    • The Incomparable
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007, 12:25:10 PM »
There's a really good chance some of these shows are getting the axe, but they're usually guaranteed to be safe throughout October.

Then again, what the hell do I know.

Nashville, the reality show about the trials and tribulations of a handful of young country music hopefuls, has been sacked.  Fox claims it will be back after the World Series, but I have my doubts.

Shocking, really.  You know how those hip kids in the target demographic love their country music...
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 03:11:22 PM by Steve-O »

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2399
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2007, 03:02:44 PM »
I don't know the name of it, but I think that TV show cop-drama thing set in New Orleans won't last very long.

Did anyone else IMMEDIATELY think of the episode of the Simpsons where they showed the fake spin-off where Chief Wiggum and Principal Skinner relocate to New Orleans and fight crime there?
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline Chaos

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3
  • Danger Zone!
    • The Literal Truth
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2007, 03:14:58 PM »
I don't know the name of it, but I think that TV show cop-drama thing set in New Orleans won't last very long.

Did anyone else IMMEDIATELY think of the episode of the Simpsons where they showed the fake spin-off where Chief Wiggum and Principal Skinner relocate to New Orleans and fight crime there?

Yep. The second I read New Orleans ("Nahh-liens"). :)
"First there was Chaos, the vast immeasurable abyss, Outrageous as a sea, dark, wasteful, wild." -Milton