login

Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1538147 times)

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5644
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #18135 on: July 20, 2018, 06:05:47 AM »
Watched The Philadelphia Story last night and it wasn't as great as I remembered.

For one thing the movie is very unevenly paced - Some great snappy scenes that are just what you would expect from a screwball comedy, but interspersed with slower, more serious scenes that always slow things right down.

Obviously it's a product of its time, but even with that in mind, some of the ideas in it are pretty gross. Especially Hepburn's dad telling her the reason he cheats on her mother is that his daughter is 'too cold' and doesn't show him enough affection.

The movie is pretty snobby too, it has Stewart's character, who starts out being anti-rich, pro the poor, learn that actually the rich are pretty great people, and the poor aren't necessarily so. The character that isn't born into wealth is really ridiculed for not belonging, and the 'good' poor people are the ones that understand their place and love their bosses etc.

The main message of the movie though, is that Hepburn's character needs to learn to stop being such an ice queen - only it completely fails to show her as one. In fact, aside for the very opening scene (which 'hilariously' ends with Cary Grant going to punch her and pushing her down instead) is the only time she is shown and not being loving and kind to her partner. Her then husband, Grant, was an alcoholic and she wasn't in to it. Luckily, she gets really drunk the night before her second wedding and then, for some reason, suddenly gets back with Grant and seems to be pro-alcoholism?

Anyway, it was a confounding experience, because the movie is so much fun in a lot of places, and features some great performances. The scenes where the rich family are pretending they don't know the reporters are reporters and are sending them up is incredible. It's what you want the whole movie to be.

I came out of it more enjoying it than not, but it wasn't the favourite I thought it was going to be.
I'm confused, at what point does a gay Tom Hanks phase through the wall of a battleship?

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2611
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #18136 on: July 20, 2018, 04:50:54 PM »
Watched The Philadelphia Story last night and it wasn't as great as I remembered.

For one thing the movie is very unevenly paced - Some great snappy scenes that are just what you would expect from a screwball comedy, but interspersed with slower, more serious scenes that always slow things right down.

Obviously it's a product of its time, but even with that in mind, some of the ideas in it are pretty gross. Especially Hepburn's dad telling her the reason he cheats on her mother is that his daughter is 'too cold' and doesn't show him enough affection.

The movie is pretty snobby too, it has Stewart's character, who starts out being anti-rich, pro the poor, learn that actually the rich are pretty great people, and the poor aren't necessarily so. The character that isn't born into wealth is really ridiculed for not belonging, and the 'good' poor people are the ones that understand their place and love their bosses etc.

The main message of the movie though, is that Hepburn's character needs to learn to stop being such an ice queen - only it completely fails to show her as one. In fact, aside for the very opening scene (which 'hilariously' ends with Cary Grant going to punch her and pushing her down instead) is the only time she is shown and not being loving and kind to her partner. Her then husband, Grant, was an alcoholic and she wasn't in to it. Luckily, she gets really drunk the night before her second wedding and then, for some reason, suddenly gets back with Grant and seems to be pro-alcoholism?

Anyway, it was a confounding experience, because the movie is so much fun in a lot of places, and features some great performances. The scenes where the rich family are pretending they don't know the reporters are reporters and are sending them up is incredible. It's what you want the whole movie to be.

I came out of it more enjoying it than not, but it wasn't the favourite I thought it was going to be.
I'm confused, at what point does a gay Tom Hanks phase through the wall of a battleship?

I only get half that reference.
FINE

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5644
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #18137 on: July 20, 2018, 07:04:18 PM »

Philadelphia and The Philadelphia Experiment

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2611
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #18138 on: July 20, 2018, 09:42:57 PM »

Philadelphia and The Philadelphia Experiment

My brain had erased The Philadelphia Experiment.
FINE

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2593
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #18139 on: July 21, 2018, 07:48:30 PM »
Darkest Hour

Very well done, mostly accurate portrayal of Churchill's early days as Prime Minister.

After watching The Crown it's tough to say who does a better Churchill, Garry Oldman or John Lithgow.  Oldman may have gotten Churchill's speech patterns down a little better.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2593
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #18140 on: July 21, 2018, 07:59:02 PM »
My brain had erased The Philadelphia Experiment.

It is a terrible movie, and I haven't seen it but reviews say the remake in 2012 is even worse. 
Then there's the sequel from the 90s, I know I watched it and thought it was bad, but can't remember anything about it.

So apparently the experiment to make a franchise where the movies get more and more invisible worked perfectly.   ;D

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5088
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #18141 on: July 22, 2018, 04:52:23 AM »
Star Trek: Insurrection

It's a bit more watchable than I remember, but it is also really dumb.  The face-stretching aliens don't register so much as a blip outside of the not-as-interesting-as-they-think-they-are visual and a lot of the story beats seem taken from more interesting TNG episodes.  Also, jeez Picard, why are you giving Worf the stink-eye for not knowing Gilbert and Sullivan.  It's 500 year old music from a culture quasi-alien to Worf.  I wouldn't presume one way or the other if my family knew who they were.  Don't be such a friggin' snob, man.

Offline stethacantus

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 63
« Reply #18142 on: July 22, 2018, 09:34:53 PM »
The Duel ( a.k.a. Duel of the Iron Fist ) ( 1971 )
For budgetary reasons I am probably not going to buy a new martial arts film for another month or two ( unless something suddenly goes OOP ), which gives me a chance to rewatch some of the films in my library. This week I picked at the last second The Duel, one of Chang Cheh's violent gangster films from the early 70s where everyone either carries a knife or hatchet, and the gangsters have nothing better to do but try to hack each other up. It has a very decent plot, one which Cheh liked enough to recycle in Flags of Iron ( 1980 ). ( I was so tempted to watch Flags of Iron as a double feature, but just didn't have the time. )

Going back to the 80s when The Duel aired on television as part of the Saturday afternoon martial arts movie theater on a local station, and going through my bootleg SB Video copy, an authorized VHS release from Canada that inexplicably edited out all the violence, including the opening rumble at a funeral and last ten minutes where Ti Lung and David Chaing take on an army of thugs, and finally the official DVD release, I have previously watched this film about a dozen times. An this is the first time I noticed Scrooge McDuck was in the film. His picture is on the box of a tattoo artist along with a few drawings of nudes. Except that this film is supposed to take place in the 30s, a decade before Scrooge was created.

For some reason when I first watch the DVD, I watched using the English dub instead of the original language soundtrack with subtitles as I usually do with martial arts films. This time I kept the subtitles on and occasional cut back to the English track for comparison. One big difference, while most of the music is the same, the Chinese track uses the theme from 2001 A Space Odyssey whenever one of the heroes attacked the evil gangsters while the English track used some of the archive music from the Shaw Brothers music library. Another big difference, how dumbed down the English dub is. ( As usual. ) The Duel is not one of the classic Shaw Brothers films, but it is pretty close. And thanks to Dragon Dynasty acquiring the rights to a lot of Shaw Brothers films they never released, this is one of the few Chang Cheh gangster films to be available on home video in America.

RoboCop ( 2014 )
Beginning next week I have a blaxploitation superhero film from the 70s followed by three Asylum films. All of them with bad reviews. I am not going to see a good superhero film for at least 3 weeks, perhaps more. So I was hoping the final RoboCop film this week was not going to be bad. Actually, despite poor reviews, it was a good film. Not great, just good.

The biggest problem with this RoboCop reboot is that the film makers completely missed the point of making a RoboCop film. RoboCop is supposed to be a Robot. The reboot he is still Murphy. While his body is all robot, his face and brain is Murphy who has all of his memories and personality. So basically a bionic man rather than robot.

Another thing I didn't like about this reboot, it seemed like there was no good reason for Keaton to suddenly turn into the bad guy in the final 30 minutes other than the film needed a villain for Murphy to fight in the climax.

Despite the flaws, it was well made, had a lot of excellent action scenes, and really good visual effects. So despite the reboot f$#king up the RoboCop story, it was still very entertaining.

Coconuts ( 1929 )
To be honest, I didn't intend to get around to the Marx Brothers films this summer. The plan was to complete the WC Fields films, and work on the last of the films with Buster Keaton and Three Stooges cameos so their libraries would be completed. Also, I really should get around to buying the rest of the Chaplin films. Worse, the only one I have on DVD is A Countess From Hong Kong and the rest are on VHS. But then I found out the Warner Bros Marx Brothers collection had gone OOP, so I had to buy it before collectors and Amazon jacked the price up on what was left.

The main thing holding me back from buying the Marx Brothers films was that the official DVD release of their Paramount films was botched. Not only was there no attempt at restoration, but they didn't even use the best know prints. I decided to hold off until someone released the same films restored. And wouldn't you know it, Universal just released the film's on Blu-ray using the best know prints. Add to that, Amazon began reporting they were running low on Love Happy with no word if Olive Films would be printing any more. So I ended up buying their films out of chronological order, and subsequently watching them out of order. Last week I watched the final Marx Brothers film. This week I am watching the first.

The story is that the Marx Brothers were so horrified by the final cut if this film that they tried to buy the print from Paramount so they could destroy it instead of releasing it. And for the first half hour of this movie it looked as if this would be a bad film. It is supposed to take place in Florida, but instead is on a really bad movie set with a painted back drop of palm trees that look exactly like a painted backdrop. Groucho is the first to show up, and he seems to be walking through his role. He says a few lines, then the film cuts to a music number with the B characters. When that ends Groucho says a few more unfunny jokes and we cut to a dance number with bellhops. When Chico and Harpo finally show up, their initial gags aren't funny. But just as it looks like the film will be a complete stinker, Groucho's acting suddenly perks up to his usual self and he is suddenly telling jokes that work. Chico and Harpo's material also picks up. So the second two thirds of this film is a successful comedy, and the opening third is a dud.

One surprise is how little of Zeppo is in this film. I knew Zeppo rarely did anything funny in these movies. But his character barely has any lines and is barely on screen. Even more surprising, he was not cast as the film's romantic lead. That role goes to someone else, and that character is in a lot of the film.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 250
« Reply #18143 on: July 25, 2018, 06:15:43 PM »
Trailer Park Boys (1999)
Ultra low budget Canadian black and white pic that lead to the TV series. After starting the series, I decided to watch it. Started good. Dragged in parts. The decision to kill the pet hitman storyline in the series and keep much of the rest was a great decision. Despite being a pet lover, it was a storyline that I was OK with as it was kind of funny as a part of the movie but would have been a tough sell to keep going for an extended period. Kind of cool that they got most of the actors in the movie to come back for the series. Movie was OK, but the series is definitely a better starting place than the movie.   

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 513
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #18144 on: July 27, 2018, 12:06:51 PM »
Mission Impossible: Fallout This movie was really really good! It had a lot of tense moments, great action, some very fun twists, and I came away from the movie feeling very satisfied with this, the sixth entry in the MI franchise. I'm not sure I would say the series is getting better and better with each installment, but I would say that they are keeping the series of the highest quality. However I will go so far as to say that unless something dreadfully bad happens, this series is as it stands now is the gold standard for smart and compelling action drama film-making.

Everyone was great, I was really looking forward to seeing Tom Cruise fight Superman. We had a couple familiar faces returning from Rogue Nation. Simon Pegg and Ving Rhames were great, as was Alec Baldwin. I'm just a little bummed out that Jeremy Renner didn't return because dammit, I love that man.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3114
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #18145 on: July 27, 2018, 08:39:41 PM »
Well my son LOVES Teen Titans, Go!, so a trip to see Teen Titans Go! to the Movies was in order. It's a good time. Plenty of the meta-humor and anti-humor the show does so very well, and a hilarious bit involving time travel. There was also a little tidbit in the credits for fans of the old cartoon.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 513
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #18146 on: July 27, 2018, 09:09:28 PM »
I assume you've already introduced him to the animated series of Justice League and Justice League Unlimited?

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3114
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #18147 on: July 27, 2018, 11:46:52 PM »
He's not quite ready for that level of sophistication yet. IE: There are no fart jokes or songs about waffles to hold his interest. Someday, though!

Offline Pastor of Muppets

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 366
  • Now available in minty fresh flavor.
« Reply #18148 on: July 28, 2018, 02:07:32 AM »
I assume you've already introduced him to the animated series of Justice League and Justice League Unlimited?

That's kind of apples to oranges.  Teen Titans Go, although based on a DC superhero team, is very much a comedy.  I like TTG, but wouldn't really like those Justice League shows.  I kind of hate DC comics, mainly because of Superman.  Any team dynamic is ruined by an overpowered superhero who puts the 'ME' in "TEAM".
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

Offline Pastor of Muppets

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 366
  • Now available in minty fresh flavor.
« Reply #18149 on: July 28, 2018, 02:15:37 AM »
Mission Impossible: Fallout This movie was really really good! It had a lot of tense moments, great action, some very fun twists, and I came away from the movie feeling very satisfied with this, the sixth entry in the MI franchise. I'm not sure I would say the series is getting better and better with each installment, but I would say that they are keeping the series of the highest quality. However I will go so far as to say that unless something dreadfully bad happens, this series is as it stands now is the gold standard for smart and compelling action drama film-making.

I saw a review of that movie, and it kind of concerns me.  Seems dangerous.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/S54pGjRnbHk?rel=0" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/S54pGjRnbHk?rel=0</a>
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.