login

Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1526453 times)

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5621
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #18090 on: June 16, 2018, 02:38:37 PM »
THE INCREDIBLES 2 - This was fantastic! Plenty of exciting action. I loved what they did with each of the characters. Yes, even Violet. I was afraid here adolescent teenage love life stuff was going to get annoying, but it didn't at all. The villain was rather weak, yes. But it was surprisingly the only anti-supers side of the argument we really get in the movie. Most everyone else seems to support the Supers, so it seems rather one sides until the big villain speech.
The best scene in the movie was probably Jack-Jack vs the raccoon. Which felt like it was a short film for the DVD they just stuck in the movie. But it was awesome!

The only real complaints I have were:
There really is no reason Bob wouldn't tell Helen about Jack-Jack having powers.
I am SO sick of hearing people bitch and moan about "new math" it makes me want to scream!

Offline PsychoGoatee

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 123
  • We are the road crew!
« Reply #18091 on: June 17, 2018, 11:09:23 AM »
Watched The Iron Giant with a couple of my friends on Friday night. None of us had seen it before, loved it! Great great movie. Lot of charm and that kind of quirkiness and character and a bit of darker stuff on the edges etc, all stuff I loved from the interesting family movies back in the day. Great stuff!

It was in one or two of the LoC countdown topics here where I mentioned I hadn't seen it, so wanted to let you know I've finally seen it, and I dig.

^ I'll probably have to see Incredibles 2 sooner than I saw Iron Giant, it is by the same guy, I should give him the benefit of the doubt by now.

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4983
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #18092 on: June 17, 2018, 12:08:56 PM »
The Cabin Movie

A low budget Canadian melodrama about a group of friends who decide to spend a weekend switching partners, only to find personal hang-ups making things a lot more unpleasant than anticipated.  Not particularly great, but not really bad.  I don't think was as insightful as they were aiming for though.  Also, most of it was pretty stagey, making me wonder if it was originally written as a stage play.

Offline stethacantus

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 60
« Reply #18093 on: June 17, 2018, 08:36:07 PM »
True Legend ( 2010 )
Yuen Woo  Ping first rose to prominence in 1978 with two films. Snake in the Eagle's Shadow and Drunken Master.  Both films made superstars out of Jackie Chan and woo ping's father Simon Yuen.  In Drunken Master, Jackie Chan played martial arts legend Wong Fei Hung ,  only as a mischievous teenager who had yet to learn martial arts. Simon Yuen played another martial arts legend, Beggar So, who teaches Wong  Drunken Fist style.  Woo Ping had hoped to film a sequel to Drunken Master, re-teaming Jackie Chan and Simon Yuen, but Chan was under contract to Lo Wei studios, and once he became a superstar,  refused to lend him out to any other studios.  65 year old Simon Yuen was not under contract to any studio.  At the time his career was winding down,  and was only getting the occasional bit part, when the success of his two films with Chan had him flooded with offers of starring roles, and within a nine month period starred or guest starred in no less than 12 films, a few of which had him reprising his role as Beggar So. Woo Ping  cast him in Dance of the Drunken Mantis, the true sequel to Drunken Master, but without Wong Fei Hung.  A few months later Woo Ping nearly got the chance for a proper sequel. when Golden Harvest signed Jackie Chan to a multi year deal. Golden harvest would produce the sequel with Woo Ping directing and Jackie and Simon reprising their roles. But Lo Wei studios stopped Chan, claiming his contract with their studio was not yet up. Golden Harvest recast the part of Wong Fei Hung to Kwan Tak Hing, the 75 year old actor who had starred in over 77 Wong Fei Hung films produced between 1949 and 1971.  With Kwan's advanced age, Wong Fei Hung's role in the film would be limited, having Beggar So teach Drunk Boxing to his famous student Lam Sai Wing, a.k.a. Butcher Lam, in a film to be called The Magnificent Butcher. After filming a few scenes, Simon Yuen unexpectedly died of a heart attack.  His scenes were reshot with a new actor, although in the final film the character is never directly called Beggar So. Apparently the character died with Simon Yuen.

31 years later Woo Ping decided to revisit the Beggar So character with True Legend. This is an origin movie, showing how respectable general Su Chan ends up a drunken homeless beggar, and how he is able to invent the Drunken Boxing style.  Unlike the past films featuring the Beggar So character, this film was dramatic.  After all, it would take a lot of dramatic shit to drive Su Chan to drink.  This film has a bad reputation, mostly due to Woo Pings choice to choreograph break dancing moves into the Drunken Boxing style. It's only reputation in the states is of one of the  final films David Carradine made and released posthumously.  However, I liked this film a lot. had I not read in advance of the break dancing controversy, I would have never noticed the moves. They work perfectly with the Beggar So style of fighting.  The only thing I found wrong with the film was  that part two was significantly shorter than part one, and appears to have been heavily edited. Both halves could have easily been made into separate films with completely different plots.  Part one depicts Su Chan's downfall, due to the treachery of his adopted brother. In part two the now homeless drunkard Su Chan ends up wandering into a port town where Europeans are running a boxing arena where local martial arts masters are dared to show up and fight their wrestlers.  After several teachers end up dead by the hands of the wrestlers who are instructed to continue pummeling them even after they have been beaten,  an old friend of Su Chan enters the arena for a bout. If he wins then the Europeans must agree to shut down the arena and leave. At first Su Chan is only a spectator invited by his friend, and for the most part is more interested in drinking wine. But inevitably he ends up in the ring saving his friend, and ultimately fighting all the wrestlers at the same time, discovering how powerful the Drunken Boxing style he had developed years earlier really was. Like I said, it appears there was a lot more to Part II than what ended up on the screen. It appears that Woo Ping decided to cut the second half down to just the final fight and the scenes directly setting it up. but even cut, it is still an amazing film.

Flash Gordon ( 1980 )
The perils of ordering movies from Amazon.  So back when I ordered the Toxic Avenger movie collection, I also ordered Sgt. Kabukiman N.Y.P.D.. Even though I chose to buy it through a third party seller, I assumed it would arrive before I got to the fourth Toxic Avenger film and I could watch the entire Troma cinematic superhero universe in sequential order. I mean, I had a week and a half before I planned to watch the first Toxic Avenger film, and three weeks after that before I got around to the fourth film. About a month went by. The status from the third party seller was that my movie was in shipment, but never provided a tracking number. Then about a week ago I got a refund email, along with an apology from the seller as he didn't have that movie in stock and could not get a copy from his supplier.

This is getting all too common with online retailers. They claim to have a selection of thousands of movies and CDs, but most of that selection is what their suppliers have in their catalog. In turn, the suppliers often list items in their catalog they assume they can still buy from the distributor, which turns out not to be the case if the item is out of print, or between printings, and currently no longer in stock at the distributor. This could mean the difference between you obtaining a copy of a film just going OOP, or not getting a copy. Once word gets out a movie has gone OOP, and no future releases are planned, the last of what is left either sells out, or has a massive price increase. Those of you collecting the MST3K sets know what I am talking about. If an item is OOP and selling out, then you don't want to waste valuable time buying from a seller who doesn't really have the movie, while the sellers who do have the movie sell their stock to someone else. A week and a half ago I ordered Sgt. Kabukiman N.Y.P.D. from a different seller, hoping it would at least be here by Saturday afternoon. I got a DHL tracking number that comes up as an error, meaning the envelope exists but the seller never shipped it. Which means he probably didn't have it in stock. Although today the seller did change the status to "arriving by Friday", so we shall see.

So instead, this week's film is Flash Gordon which I didn't plan to watch for another four weeks. Why? Because this week was to be Kabukiman, and next week I was to begin the Robocop trilogy with Flash Gordon scheduled for after I finished the third Robocop film. But since I do not have Kabukiman, and I don't want to break the Robocop trilogy up by watching a Kabujiman film in between, this week is Flash Gordon.  Technically this  is part of my superhero collection, because Wikipedia lists it as a superhero film. I really don't agree with that since Flash never had any powers to begin with. Basically he was just Indiana Jones in space. But I am seriously considering one day collecting all the Star Wars ripoff films made between 1977 and 1990, so this would count.

The story behind the film in a nutshell. George Lucas wanted to make a Flash Gordon film in the 70s, but Dino de Laurentiis already held the film rights and was not interested in giving them up.  So Lucas made up his own version of a Flash Gordon style story, in the process creating the Star Wars universe.  Shortly after Star Wars became a hit, television producer Glen A Larson proposed to Universal Television the series Battlestar Galactica. 20th Century Fox sued Universal claiming the series violated  copyrighted material from Star Wars. Universal countersued that Star Wars violated coyrights from their Buck Rogers and Flash Gordon movie serials.  To avoid any further lawsuits Universal and Larson decided to abandon  Battlestar Galactica  in favor of a Buck Rogers television series. Dino de Laurentiis approached Universal about making a Flash Gordon movie and they green lit the project immediately knowing neither Lucas nor 20th Century Fox could sue them. The whole thing was rushed into production, resulting in a huge mess.

This was the first time I watched the entire film since seeing it in a theater way back in the 80s.  I recalled not really liking it back then, but this time around found it entertaining.  Well, entertaining enough not tho get boring because it is still a bad film.  The action is not staged as well as in Star Wars, not by a longshot, but the visuals are enough to hold your attention. They say that Laurentiis was going for a serious film, and was very upset when it ended up being campy. However, I find that hard to believe as he hired scriptwriter Lorenzo Semple Jr. , writer from the 1966 Batman series.  Also, most of the art direction and costumes invoked a fake comic book style instead of the more realistic world found in the Star Wars films.  this version was restored for Blu-Ray, and I noticed some of the special effects were changed. Most notably was shots of the Earth, which deliberately looked like a model globe in the original film, replaced with realistic background plates of Earth. I recalled in the theater how jarring it was to go from the realistic Universal logo with Earth to the fake Earth model in the movie a few seconds later.  In the restred version this is the only remaining plate of the fake looking globe, but it is deliberately darkened, and a brand new Ming bullseye is put on the screen which almost completely obscures it.  ( The original opening effects and bullseye can still be found in the trailer. ) I am sure there were a lot more effects that were improved.

I do have to say there is one scene that ruins the entire film. Flash and his friends have been taken prisoner and lead into the palace of Ming the Merciless. There Flash decides he is going to fight the soldiers armed with laser guns and swords. Zarkov  grabs  an ornamental green thingy that is sort of shaped like a football and throws it to Flash. ( It was established earlier in the film that Flash is a football player.  ) Flash then runs around tackling Ming's soldiers. ( Wait a second! Quarterbacks don't tackle other players. Oh, never mind.. ) during this comes the worst part of the movie and one of the worst moments in an 80s film.  And that is Dale Arden's extremely awkward attempt at a cheerleader call and dance as she yells out "Go Flash Go!" If this film ever makes the MST3K reboot, this is my prediction for the episode stinger.

Room Service ( 1938 )
I will try not to make this confusing. The Marx Brothers DVD set was released by Warner Bros, one of the few major Hollywood studios the team never work for. However, after MGM went into bankruptcy, Warner Bros acquired the home video rights to the MGM film catalog. The Marx Brothers made five films for MGM and they are all here. After completing their final for MGM, the Marx Brothers announced their retirement as a team. However they reunited twice, both times to help Chico pay off gambling debts. Both films were made for United Artists. In 1957 UA went public. Ten years later Transamerica Corporation bought controlling stock in UA. In 1981 Transamerica sold UA to MGM, who then re-branded their studio MGM/UA. When Warner Bros acquired the MGM library, it also included the home video rights to the United Artists library as well. So did they include the Marx Brothers UA films in the set? Well, only A Night in Casablanca. The second UA film  called Love Happy was licensed to Paramount!

The Marx Brothers made their first five feature films at Paramount in the early 1930s, all of which were released by Paramount in a competing Marx Brothers box set of DVDs. So did Paramount include Love Happy in that set? No. Buyers complained that Paramount made no effort to restore any of their Marx Brothers films for the DVD set. Paramount announced that they would be restoring the film's for a Blu-ray release of the same set. Since they had just previously released the same movies on DVD, would it not have made sense for the Blu-ray release to include Love Happy, the one Marx Brothers film not yet released, as incentive to double dip the same films? No! Paramount decided to give Love Happy over to Olive Films for a release on their label.

More confusion. Room Service was made at RKO. This was a year after The Marx Brothers allowed their MGM contract to expire, and a year before they signed a second three film deal with MGM. RKO went through many owners, including Howard  Huges and a tire company. When Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz bought RKO they renamed the company Desilu. After their divorce, Desilu was sold to Paramount. So, was Room Service included in the Paramount box set? No. Shortly before selling RKO to Lucy and Desi, the tire company sold off half the films in their library, including Room Service, to United Artists. Which is why it ended up on the Warner set instead.

One last bit of confusion. While as a team the Marx Brothers never worked for Warner Bros, they did all appear in a Warner Bros film. Irwin Allen's 1957 film The Story of Mankind had an all star cast. Chico, Harpo and Groucho all had separate cameos. Although not together as a team, and only in bit parts, this is definitely a movie any Marx Brothers completest would want. So, with Warner Bros owning the film, was it included on the DVD set? Once again, no. You have to buy it separately as part of the Warner Archives video on demand release.

Room Service was among the oddest of the Marx Brothers films, as for the first and only time the team starred in a film that was not written for them. They were one of the few screen comedians lucky enough to be able to write or approved of their scripts. Their movies were either written specifically for them, or adapted from one of their stage shows. Room Service previously existed as a hit Broadway play which RKO thought was perfect for the Marx Brothers. It was the equivalent of Bruce Springsteen doing a concert of Billy Joel songs instead of his own. And that's the film's greatest flaw. The Marx Brothers doing so little of their signature material. Groucho gets a couple of one liners early in the film, but then spends the rest of the film developing the plot. Harpo gets a little more opportunity for his slapstick comedy, but it is still far less than the past films. And except for his accent, Chico doesn't do any of his style of comedy. Lucille Ball is also in the cast but given zero chance to do any comedy.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 246
« Reply #18094 on: June 18, 2018, 07:47:52 PM »
Batman and Robin (1997) and then Justice League (2017)- both in the same day.
First time I think I had ever seen Batman and Robin unriffed. Both were terrible movies.
But really, the formula in Batman and Robin is pretty much the same formula that most more up-to-date single titled superhero movies follow (bad guy introduced, a couple of other superheroes introduced as being along for the ride, you know where it's all going, so no tension or suspense). You could argue that it was trying to capture some of the 60s Batman camp, but even with that argument, it was still just bad. 
And Justice League is pretty much the same formula as the Avenger movies just without the attempts at humor (and I've found the Avenger attempts at humor to be just that-"attempts at humor" that just weren't funny and had more or less the same plot as Justice League).
So both were bad, but I'm not sure either were that much worse than what passes for what is considered good superhero movies.
In other words, I'm sick of superhero movies and will be extremely glad when this fad passes and I don't see much difference between superhero movies from 10 years ago and now.

Online The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4312
« Reply #18095 on: June 18, 2018, 08:07:56 PM »
At least with the past few Marvel ones we've had genre mixing.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2599
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #18096 on: June 18, 2018, 08:17:10 PM »
So both were bad, but I'm not sure either were that much worse than what passes for what is considered good superhero movies.
In other words, I'm sick of superhero movies and will be extremely glad when this fad passes and I don't see much difference between superhero movies from 10 years ago and now.

This is some prime grade trolling.
FINE

Offline Lesbunny

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 466
  • Bowsette is bae
« Reply #18097 on: June 18, 2018, 08:38:08 PM »
Don't worry, in a few years, millennials will be the prime age for nostalgia cash grabs, and superhero films will become less popular.

To be fair though, I'd be all over a Street Sharks movie.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3082
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #18098 on: June 21, 2018, 11:15:19 PM »
Just found out that The Disaster Artist has been on DVD for a few months now. THEN I found out it's on Amazon Prime, so I watched it that way to see if I want to splurge on the Blu-ray. I do.

It takes some liberties here and there for the sake of the jokes, but I think it conveys the heart of the story well.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3082
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #18099 on: June 23, 2018, 06:40:59 PM »
THE INCREDIBLES 2 - This was fantastic! Plenty of exciting action. I loved what they did with each of the characters. Yes, even Violet. I was afraid here adolescent teenage love life stuff was going to get annoying, but it didn't at all. The villain was rather weak, yes. But it was surprisingly the only anti-supers side of the argument we really get in the movie. Most everyone else seems to support the Supers, so it seems rather one sides until the big villain speech.
The best scene in the movie was probably Jack-Jack vs the raccoon. Which felt like it was a short film for the DVD they just stuck in the movie. But it was awesome!

The only real complaints I have were:
There really is no reason Bob wouldn't tell Helen about Jack-Jack having powers.
I am SO sick of hearing people bitch and moan about "new math" it makes me want to scream!

Just saw it myself. The raccoon fight and everything they did with Jack Jack was awesome, not just because it was cute, but because of the terrifying concept of a baby with that much destructive force at his beck and call.

I got the impression that Bob thought that Helen would give up her crusade and come home if she found out about the powers, so he chose to keep it a secret.

What you hear people bitch and moan about today is "Core Curriculum Math." "New" math was actually new in the '60s, which seems to fit the out-of-time-futuristic setting of the Incredibles. I read a lot of old Peanuts strips growing up, and Shultz loved to use it as a punchline for a while.

Also, as someone who has had to sit down with his KINDERGARTENER and try to figure out what the heck he was supposed to be doing with his math homework, I feel Bob's pain. Core curriculum is probably a better way to teach math, but it's hard for the old dogs to learn the new tricks.

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4983
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #18100 on: June 23, 2018, 07:12:24 PM »
Rad

The movie lives up to it's title.  It's a wonderful guilty pleasure movie: dumb, silly and loaded to the gills with very 80's montages.  The "Bicycle Boogie" scene of romantic bike dancing set to "Send Me an Angel" (which you might remember from The Wizard) is so beautiful, I might just cry.  It's currently on Vimeo for free (as it is unavailable in any other media) thanks to the podcast How Did This Get Made?

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 485
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #18101 on: June 23, 2018, 08:22:03 PM »
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. I actually liked it. Never bored, had a good time watching it.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5621
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #18102 on: June 24, 2018, 11:58:51 AM »

I got the impression that Bob thought that Helen would give up her crusade and come home if she found out about the powers, so he chose to keep it a secret.
Watching it again yesterday I did notice that. I think it's still a little contrived, plotwise. But it is far outweighed by everything else good in the movie. I particularly loved Helen being so excited about that she stopped a train. And Bob's quietly seething jealousy was hilarious.

Offline Lesbunny

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 466
  • Bowsette is bae
« Reply #18103 on: June 24, 2018, 06:21:32 PM »
Saw both of the Jurassic World films today. Loved both, even if the first one was written by a kid going AND THEN THIS DINOSAUR FIGHTS THIS DINOSAUR, and the second was people trying to finish Lost World and screwing it up. Nearly cried during the bedroom scene.

Offline Quirk

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 401
  • Second Quirk, same as the first
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #18104 on: June 24, 2018, 07:50:11 PM »
Incredibles 2

I dreaded this when it was announced because I consider the first to be one of the greatest animated films of all time, but it was fantastic. It didn't have a whole lot to say, and the movie's two plotlines seem fairly disconnected from eachother, but I don't think there has ever been superhero action done this well. It honestly made the MCU stuff look like trash. It was absolutely thrilling, and surprisingly funny, too. I wanted to watch it again the second it was over.
QuipTracks VS Alone in the Dark is NOW AVAILABLE!