Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1584189 times)

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2657
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #17925 on: March 17, 2018, 08:31:59 PM »
After listening to Movie Sign With The Mads this week I figured I'd see if all the praise they heaped on Hot Fuzz was true.  It's one of the many movies I've wanted to watch but just never got around to, since it's on Netflix it was easy to watch.

And everything they said about it is true, it's a fantastic movie.

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5183
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #17926 on: March 18, 2018, 04:48:31 AM »
I love Edgar Wright in general, but I think Hot Fuzz is his best movie.  It's funny and brilliantly edited and despite being a blood and gore-filled film, it's become a real comfort food movie for me, right up there with the Princess Bride and Ghostbusters.

Watched Star Trek III: The Search for Spock last night.  Going through the original series movies since I haven't watched them before except for VI.  It's... fine.  Shatner's a ham but between this and the last movie, he can actually do some good stuff.  Christopher Lloyd is good, but I wish he and his right hand man got fleshed out a bit more.  The actual resurrection of Spock feels like the writers were bending over backwards a little bit to figure it out, but after years of reading superhero comics, I've seen so much worse that it doesn't bother me TOO much.  So, it's perfectly watchable but not much beyond that.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 261
« Reply #17927 on: March 18, 2018, 07:04:17 PM »
Annihilation (2018)
An anomaly appears in a national park in the U.S. that is growing and people that get sent in to investigate disappear and are never heard from again until one person finally returns. Some similarities to one of my favorite books (Russian sci fi book called "Roadside Picnic" in English and was made into a really good but very different from the book Russian movie called "Stalker").
There was a lot to criticize, but I was never bored and it was interesting enough in some of the ideas it brings up (but never really followed through on) that I'd give it an overall positive/recommend review. The ending was really criticized in many reviews. I was OK with (although didn't love) the ending and was more disappointed with some of the interesting ideas that were touched on and then never really followed up on (but still, enough good that I was willing to overlook some of that).

Offline NRRork

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 91
    • Yep, I have a deviantART gallery. But it's pretty cheerful drawings-- no angsty poems or black-and-white photos of wooden chairs.
« Reply #17928 on: March 18, 2018, 08:21:47 PM »
I love Edgar Wright in general, but I think Hot Fuzz is his best movie.  It's funny and brilliantly edited and despite being a blood and gore-filled film, it's become a real comfort food movie for me, right up there with the Princess Bride and Ghostbusters.

Watched Star Trek III: The Search for Spock last night.  Going through the original series movies since I haven't watched them before except for VI.  It's... fine.  Shatner's a ham but between this and the last movie, he can actually do some good stuff.  Christopher Lloyd is good, but I wish he and his right hand man got fleshed out a bit more.  The actual resurrection of Spock feels like the writers were bending over backwards a little bit to figure it out, but after years of reading superhero comics, I've seen so much worse that it doesn't bother me TOO much.  So, it's perfectly watchable but not much beyond that.

I'm a Shawn of the Dead man myself. Or really, back farther still: Spaced. I'm glad fans have accepted there won't be a third series. Which is good, it would just be sad. Either they'd be all middle-aged responsible adults whose hijinks aren't fun to watch anymore, or they'd just be middle-aged and still living like kids, also kinda sad.

I've also been on my Star Trek binge, too. I started out just sort of watching a few favorite episodes on Netflix, then I decided I hadn't watched the movies in a good while. I add the Rifftrax when they're available. I'm on to Star Trek V, so lord knows I'm gonna need their help for that one! ^_^ I might share a few thoughts once I've finished them all... maybe put it behind of those spoiler tags. There's a couple of them where I could go for awhile about why I did or didn't like it.
I used to have an image here, but Photobucket got cheap about remote linking. I guess I'll have to think of something witty instead. Which I will. Later. It caught me by surprise, in all honesty. It's hard to be clever on command, I mean, YOU try it. Be funny: NOW! See, tough. So, gimme a bit, 'kay?

Offline stethacantus

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 95
« Reply #17929 on: March 18, 2018, 10:25:35 PM »
A Chinese Odyssey Part Two: Cinderella ( 1995 )
I was so confused  by this film that I needed to read a synopsis for it on the internet to figure out what I had just seen. The plot involves tie travel. In the last film Stephen Chow's character came in possession of Pandora's Box, a magical item that when exposed to the moon allowed the person holding it to travel back in time. Chow used it totravel back a few minutes so he could prevent his wife from committing suicide. But he kept arriving just too late to stop her, forcing him to use the box again and again. Finally one of the attempts causes him to travel back 500 years where he is captured by a beautiful goddess and forced to be her slave. Part one ended with Chow being marked on his foot by the goddess, which fulfilled the prophecy that the reincarnation of Monkey King would be identified by the same mark. Here is where things get confusing. Now trapped 500 years in the past ( because the goddess confiscated Pandora's Box from him ) he ends up interfearing with the events that opened the first film. Making things more confusing, we meet the characters that will reincarnate into the characters in the first film, and the monk that sacrificed himself in the first film is prevented from doing so by Chow who was attempting to steal the Pandora's Box he was holding, and therefore lives beyond where he did in the first film. And the goddess who captures Chow turns out to be sisters that share the same body (?), one that inhabits the body at night, the other during the day (?). And if they are sisters, are they earlier incarnations of the demon sisters from the first film. And why is Chow falling in love with the daytime goddess when he is suppose to be in love with one of the demon sisters, and had traveled through time to save her? And then suddenly the goddess sisters no longer inhabit the same body, but are separate individuals? And hen one of them throws a spell that causes four characters ( including the goddess sisters ) to switch bodies? And then both demon sisters from the first film show up in the past, and one of them kills Chow? And then his ghost decides to incarnate back into being Monkey King to battle the Bull King, and then ends up rejoining the monk on his quest to India to obtain the religious scriptures, but then sees characters who look just like Chow and the Goddess, but are they reincarnations or the same characters from a different time line or different characters who look like the same characters? And the events from the first film were never resolved because Chow suddenly went back in time? So are they really going to be abandoned? Does Chow's demon wife die of suicide, and the baby that is the reincarnation of the monk get eaten by the future Bull King? Norman coordinate!!

The problem is that each synopsis I read had a different interpretation of the confusing story. One thing is for sure. There should have been a movie where Stephen Chow played The Monkey King for the entire film, and not just in the last act of the second film.  The Chinese Odyssey films are well re guarded by Hong Kong movie fans. Considering how many superior fantasy films were released during the same decade, I can't understand why this one was liked so much. Even third rate fantasy like Deadful Melody ( 1994 ) is better than this.

Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2( 2017 )
The big question was why did Marvel Studios choose to make the first Guardians of the Galaxy film when they had an overload of characters who had not yet made an appearance in the MCU yet? The answer, the MCU needs spaceships. The thing is, the Marvel comic book superheroes connection to outer space came via The Fantastic Four. Not only did they have their own rocket ship launch pad built into the side of the Baxter Building ( complete with a ready to launch rocket!! ) but in their second issue, managed to capture a Skrull flying saucer, which they used or lent out to others whenever the need came to travel into outer space. With The Fantastic Four stuck over at Fox, and the Infinity War coming up, the MCU needed another way to get all those superheroes into space. Enter the slightly obscure Guardians of the Galaxy where everything is Buck Rogers except on Earth. Plenty of space ships that can transport the Avengers ad their superhero pals to Thanos for a final battle.

Well, at least that's my theory. But for whatever reason instead of getting to a Doctor Strange, Ant-Man, Black Panther or Captain Marvel film sooner, Marvel chose to make a movie with characters who are yet to be connected with the superheroes in the MCU when they were making a mint releasing films with Avenger members. And not only was it a hit, but at the time the second best of the MCU films ( with the first Avengers film at the top. ) So, was the sequel as good as or better than the first film? I'd say as good as. The only bad thing about the film is that it is stuck in the MCU where sequels will be far and few when I would love to see these characters in more movies. Also, can we do something with Howard the Duck rather than just brief cameos? I know Marvel would rather forget about that one HtD movie, but with the CGI technology, he could finally be in a decent movie. Hopefully Howard is going to be in the Avengers film. After all, wasn't Howard connected to the Nexus of reality or something like that?

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2650
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #17930 on: March 18, 2018, 10:36:17 PM »
The big question was why did Marvel Studios choose to make the first Guardians of the Galaxy film when they had an overload of characters who had not yet made an appearance in the MCU yet? The answer, the MCU needs spaceships. The thing is, the Marvel comic book superheroes connection to outer space came via The Fantastic Four. Not only did they have their own rocket ship launch pad built into the side of the Baxter Building ( complete with a ready to launch rocket!! ) but in their second issue, managed to capture a Skrull flying saucer, which they used or lent out to others whenever the need came to travel into outer space. With The Fantastic Four stuck over at Fox, and the Infinity War coming up, the MCU needed another way to get all those superheroes into space. Enter the slightly obscure Guardians of the Galaxy where everything is Buck Rogers except on Earth. Plenty of space ships that can transport the Avengers ad their superhero pals to Thanos for a final battle.

Well, at least that's my theory. But for whatever reason instead of getting to a Doctor Strange, Ant-Man, Black Panther or Captain Marvel film sooner, Marvel chose to make a movie with characters who are yet to be connected with the superheroes in the MCU when they were making a mint releasing films with Avenger members. And not only was it a hit, but at the time the second best of the MCU films ( with the first Avengers film at the top. ) So, was the sequel as good as or better than the first film? I'd say as good as. The only bad thing about the film is that it is stuck in the MCU where sequels will be far and few when I would love to see these characters in more movies. Also, can we do something with Howard the Duck rather than just brief cameos? I know Marvel would rather forget about that one HtD movie, but with the CGI technology, he could finally be in a decent movie. Hopefully Howard is going to be in the Avengers film. After all, wasn't Howard connected to the Nexus of reality or something like that?

Dr Strange and Ant-Man came out between GotG 1 and 2.

The actual reason was the first GotG movie was the third highest grossing MCU film.
FINE

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 580
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #17931 on: March 19, 2018, 08:48:17 AM »
I myself watched Guardians of the Galaxy 2 again less than a week ago and really enjoyed it, but it's very different in tone from the first in that it's more of an emotional journey. It's a film that's literally about family and having to come to grips with the fact that well.... Peter's father Ego is a giant planet that wants to spread himself over all other worlds in the known universe, destroying all life on those planets. It was further proof that a comic book movie can tell a seriously dramatic story but still have fun and be silly too at moments. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that's a bad thing, I'm saying that's a very damn good thing.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5898
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #17932 on: March 19, 2018, 10:41:13 AM »
Thanos is coming to Earth, so they don't need spaceships to get to him.

Offline stethacantus

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 95
« Reply #17933 on: March 19, 2018, 02:13:40 PM »
Thanos is coming to Earth, so they don't need spaceships to get to him.

What about Thor's prophetic vision ( in Age of Ultron ) of the entire Avengers team defeated by Thanos on his own planet?

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3569
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #17934 on: March 19, 2018, 04:27:13 PM »
Game Night

It's pretty great.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5898
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #17935 on: March 20, 2018, 09:23:20 PM »
Justice League (2017) - Morbid curiosity got the better of me.
I didn't hate it nearly as much as I thought I would. But I'm certainly glad I waited till it was on Redbox to rent it for just $1.50.
It's mostly just...boring. Largely because the fight scenes feel like video game cutscenes.
Honestly the best parts are in the first half when the characters are talking to each other. But once they all get together they start bickering pointlessly, so that's ruined.
Superman fighting the rest of the League felt tacked on, and it's really only because Cyborg becomes a literal deus ex machina to make it happen for no reason. It also has no bearing on anything else, so it's pointless.
Superman's CGI upper lip is bad in some scenes. Unfortunately one of them is the very first scene in the movie, so it's really hard to ignore.
Also, what is with the look Superman gives to the kids right before the first scene cuts out? It looks like he's about to kill them!
The intro song "Everybody Knows" is awful. I don't know who sings it, but the fact that performance is in a major theatrical movie is just embarrassing.
As with BvS, Wonder Woman is the best thing about the movie. It also helps that the first action scene is her being awesome.
I hated the design of Cyborg. Way too overcomplicated, just like the Bayformers. He even gets a slightly better design at the very end of the movie, seemingly just to spite the audience.
Barry Allen is sometimes fun, and sometimes annoying. It also doesn't help that they had jokes at his expense of him not knowing simple things like direction. Barry Allen is a brilliant forensics scientist! Stop making him the goofy dumb one on the team. And his suit looks stupid.
As everyone else has pointed out, Steppenwolf looks terrible. Having him as all CGI was a huge mistake. But even if he looked better, he's still a boring villain. He just wants to destroy the Earth because...something something Darkseid. Although he only mentions Darseid once, and he says Mother a lot. So it just sounds like he's a momma's boy who is doing this to please his overbearing mother.
Overall, while it is a huge step up from the abomination that was Batman v Superman, it's still too little too late. They need to just stop. Make a few more Wonder Woman movies, and then reboot the movie series in about 8 years. I'm sure by then Marvel will have shit the bed and the audience will be ready for something else.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3211
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #17936 on: March 21, 2018, 10:18:12 PM »
Got to see a screening of Back to the Future. Interesting how a movie designed to make people nostalgic for the '50s can make me sooo nostalgic for the '80s. It's pretty much a perfect movie. Every performance is great. Every little detail and line of dialogue ends up paying off somewhere later in the movie. Even little things like how Marty skateboards to school.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 580
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #17937 on: March 22, 2018, 10:50:18 AM »
The only hangup I have about Back To The Future is that one of the plot points had to do with a mother having the hots for her son. I've always just found that profoundly and legitimately disturbing. I'm serious, it really ruins... or maybe ruins is too harsh a word, maybe it would be more appropriate to say it HURTS the movie for me every time I watch it. I know it's supposed to be played for laughs and she can't possibly realize the implications behind her feelings, but I just can't get past it. I know that sounds ridiculous, but it's true. I'd much rather watch Back to the Future 3.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1546
« Reply #17938 on: March 22, 2018, 02:49:16 PM »
The only hangup I have about Back To The Future is that one of the plot points had to do with a mother having the hots for her son. I've always just found that profoundly and legitimately disturbing. I'm serious, it really ruins... or maybe ruins is too harsh a word, maybe it would be more appropriate to say it HURTS the movie for me every time I watch it. I know it's supposed to be played for laughs and she can't possibly realize the implications behind her feelings, but I just can't get past it. I know that sounds ridiculous, but it's true. I'd much rather watch Back to the Future 3.

Have you seen the netflix TV show Glow?  They had a great bit about that.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3211
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #17939 on: March 22, 2018, 03:19:34 PM »
The one little nit I've always wondered about is why Marty's parents never thought, "Hey you know that mysterious stranger who rolled into town and completely changed our lives? Why does our son look and sound exactly like him?"