Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1584325 times)

Offline stethacantus

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 95
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #17835 on: February 11, 2018, 08:43:22 PM »
Infernal Affairs 2 ( 2003 )

How do you go about making a sequel when all but one character was killed off in the first film? Why, you do a prequel of course. The drawback to prequels is that they must lead up to the original, and therefore limited in how that story can be told. Unless you are Chang Cheh making a prequel to Five Shaolin Masters ( 1974 ) and decide "F#$k it! I know the villain Ma Fu Yee is alive in the first film, but I am killing him off in the prequel as well!" Complain all you want about how George Lucas supposedly screwed up the Star Wars prequels, but he not only gave us films that matched the continuity of the original films, but he took a story that we all knew the conclusion of and threw in a few twists we were not expecting. Who could have seen that midichlorians thing coming?

Coming up with a good prequel is almost impossible. Even Godfather Part II only got away with the prequel thing by also being a continuation. It is rarely the case that a story had an amazing backstory that needed to be told. Prequels usually exist out of desperation. The original story was a one shot and popular characters were killed off. They are rarely any good. So it always a surprise when a film maker pulls it off, as was done with Infernal Affairs 2

Instead of the two moles being the focus, the sequel centers around Anthony Wong's police inspector and Eric Tsang's gang leader, who in this film we see rise up to the leader of the triads. And even though you are well aware some characters will meet their demise as they no longer exited in the original,  this film has a lot of genuine surprises, some which change the dynamics of the first film. It is not as good as the first film in the series, but is an excellent follow-up.

The Car ( 1977 )
I included this film on my top 25 list for the Horror Film LoC. Not because I ever found it frightening, but for the fun factor of a demon possessed demon car that for no reason shows up in a desert town and begins running over and killing the residents. I liked it back then, but would I still like it today? There are a lot of television show and movies I loved as a kid that turned out to be crap when I watched them as an adult. And this movie made a lot of year end lists for worst movie.

Perhaps because this was supposed to be the next Jaws. Released amidst such ripoff films as Grizzly ( 1976 ), Piranha ( 1978 ), Tentacles ( 1977 ) and Orca ( 1977 ), this was being called by many the automobile version of Jaws. Actually, it seems more of a rip-off of Spielberg's earlier film Dual ( 1971 ), and was very possible greenlit by Universal as a follow-up vehicle for the director. ( No pun intended. ) But instead he did Close Encounters for another studio.

Well, maybe I am being generous after watching those really awfully superhero mockbusters ( which I will be getting back to next week ) but The Car is not a bad film. The acting, directing and budget is as good as any 70s film. The film moves along,  so there were not really any dead spots to bore me. And while I would not say I found it as fun as I did as a kid, it was still fun. And there were still those two lines I got a kick out of, back then as I did last night. One when an old lady for no reason yells "Cat Poo!" at the car as it drives off.  The other said by actor Eddie Little Sky playing a Native American deputy. As we cut to a scene in the sheriff station house, Eddie is on the phone when some racists redkneck calls in and tells him "Why don't you quit playing sheriff and go back to what you people do best?" And Eddie responds "If I do, White Eyes, you're gonna be in a heap of big trouble, because I'm gonna track you down and shoot an arrow straight up your ass!"

The White Gorilla ( 1945 )
With Saturday Night Live on hiatus for the Olympics I once again had time for a second movie, once again dipping into my "Son's of Kong" box set of public domain black & white films that have gorillas. This week another jungle film from poverty row studio Frase & Merrick, who also produced The Savage Girl with the same director Harry L. Fraser. Otherwise, studio, director and cast did nothing other than cheap B Westerns for most of their careers. Two notable cast members in this film. Ray Corrigan, better known as Crash Corrigan in most of his films ( including the serial Undersea Kingdom ) and Francis Ford, brother of legendary director John Ford.

Perhaps the cheapest of the cheap jungle films ever, about the only thing the producer paid for was the White Gorilla costume. You can tell how cheap this movie is when it's theme and background music is lifted from the Batman serial. ( Which Harry L. Fraser wrote the screenplay for. ) But then it gets even cheaper. A group of explorers are about to leave a jungle training post on an expedition to find a lost explorer when the lost explorer's guide ( Crash ) wanders in and collapses. He awakes to say that his condition was due to a run in with the jungle's legendary white gorilla. The other explorers want to hear about it, as well as what happened to the lost explorer. So he tells his story in flashbacks, which just happen to be footage of other actors lifted from a silent serial Perils of the Jungle ( 1927 ). In his flashback Crash is always conveniently watching from a distance. The silent movie footage is intercut with new footage of Crash and someone in a white gorilla costume. ( Actually, that was also Crash, who began his career playing gorillas in movies before finding minor success in Westerns. ) The silent movie footage has nothing to do with Crash's white gorilla story, and is just there to pad out the ten minutes of footage actually shot for this film. It is all so ridiculous that the film has it's cheesey entertainment value.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 08:47:33 PM by stethacantus »

Offline Lesbunny

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 523
  • Bowsette is bae
« Reply #17836 on: February 12, 2018, 07:55:07 AM »
Finally watched Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2 yesterday. Shit was dope.

Offline NRRork

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 91
    • Yep, I have a deviantART gallery. But it's pretty cheerful drawings-- no angsty poems or black-and-white photos of wooden chairs.
« Reply #17837 on: February 14, 2018, 01:37:09 AM »
Finally watched Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2 yesterday. Shit was dope.

Yeah, me too about a week or so ago. The first one as well. I don't know why I didn't get around to seeing them, I think it just seemed a little too out there to me or something, but I'm glad I did, I can't BELIEVE how much I loved both of them. They're eerily close to the kind of movie I've always wanted to see made, the kind of tone and action and even the sweet soundtracks.

I'm also kinda wondering why they're bothering with this stupid Han Solo movie when Marvel went and made two better versions of it already.

But that's all of them now, I've seen all the MCU movies, and I'm gonna stop overlooking them because I think it's about time I start trusting them to make a cool movie that I'm gonna enjoy.
I used to have an image here, but Photobucket got cheap about remote linking. I guess I'll have to think of something witty instead. Which I will. Later. It caught me by surprise, in all honesty. It's hard to be clever on command, I mean, YOU try it. Be funny: NOW! See, tough. So, gimme a bit, 'kay?

Online Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3212
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #17838 on: February 14, 2018, 07:34:36 AM »
Yeah, I had literally no interest in Black Panther (He's like Batman, but he's king or something, right?)  until Marvel decided to make a movie about him. Now I'm ready for him to be my new favorite about this time next week.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 581
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #17839 on: February 14, 2018, 03:04:13 PM »
I am really looking forward to seeing Black Panther tomorrow night, the suspense is seriously killing me.

Offline Lesbunny

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 523
  • Bowsette is bae
« Reply #17840 on: February 14, 2018, 07:20:43 PM »
Yeah, I had literally no interest in Black Panther (He's like Batman, but he's king or something, right?)  until Marvel decided to make a movie about him. Now I'm ready for him to be my new favorite about this time next week.

Actually, the closest Batman analog would be Iron Man, since they basically have the same back story, although Batman got emo, and Stark got hookers.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2386
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #17841 on: February 14, 2018, 07:44:06 PM »

Actually, the closest Batman analog would be Iron Man, since they basically have the same back story, although Batman got emo, and Stark got hookers.

Making Stark the Bender version of Batman.

He does have a metal ass of which one might bite.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline NRRork

• Not Hurt By Pain
    • Yep, I have a deviantART gallery. But it's pretty cheerful drawings-- no angsty poems or black-and-white photos of wooden chairs.
« Reply #17842 on: February 15, 2018, 01:36:03 AM »
Yeah, I agree, Iron Man is like if Batman wasn't such a teetotaling Debbie Downer all the time and never swore off firearms. I could swear Batman's VEHICLES sometimes have them, though. Kinda like how Jedi refused to use blasters... except on their ships and speeder bikes. You didn't see Obi-Wan cruising into battle with a ten-foot lightsaber strapped to the front of his starfigher!

Black Panther's design immediately made me think of all the old Amano art of Cecil in Final Fantasy IV. http://www.fffury.com/FF4/Images/CecilA.png

His job class was, ironically: dark knight.
I used to have an image here, but Photobucket got cheap about remote linking. I guess I'll have to think of something witty instead. Which I will. Later. It caught me by surprise, in all honesty. It's hard to be clever on command, I mean, YOU try it. Be funny: NOW! See, tough. So, gimme a bit, 'kay?

Offline NRRork

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #17843 on: February 15, 2018, 12:15:43 PM »
I also love that thanks to Marvel movies, our heroes can murder indiscriminately again.

Like, ever see Plinkett's review for Crystal Skull (if not, you should)? He mentions how in the old, GOOD, Indiana Jones movies, Indy would heroically slaughter his way through dozens and dozens of Nazi mooks. Rifftrax made fun of it too with their constant repeating "Our HERO, everyone." But they were Nazis or abducting children into slave labor. It was fun to watch them die is the point, and Indy killed a lot of them. GOD, I've missed the 80s more than I realized! ^_^

Only now they snark at the bad guys as they're killing them, too, and making fun of their names and shit. They're literally adding insult to injury.

Online Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #17844 on: February 15, 2018, 12:45:01 PM »
Guardians of the Galaxy has the highest on-screen body count in history.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #17845 on: February 15, 2018, 09:30:20 PM »
Just got back from seeing Black Panther. As you might expect, it's an excellent movie. But it's also deep because it has some things to say about the world and history... and maybe world history. Anyway I highly recommend it, it was a lot of fun too.

Online Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #17846 on: February 16, 2018, 07:54:57 PM »
Checked out "Early Man." Not Aardman's best, but charming enough to enjoy for an hour and half with the young'un. It relies a lot on the audience having a fondness for Soccer/Football that I just don't have. Fans of the sport may enjoy it more.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #17847 on: February 16, 2018, 08:15:16 PM »
Glad you liked it Pak because I saw the trailer and it had zero appeal to me.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2650
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #17848 on: February 17, 2018, 12:26:53 AM »
Just saw and loved Black Panther
FINE

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5898
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #17849 on: February 17, 2018, 12:52:50 PM »
Black Panther - This was fantastic! Rich vibrant world, great performances, complex character motivations, this movie was so much more than just a dumb summer blockbuster.

And BATTLE RHINOS!!!!!!!!!!